back to article Xamarin chucks Apple fruit at Microsoft mobe wobblers

Microsoft wobblers tempted by the fruit of Apple's mobes can now indulge themselves from the comfort of their preferred development platform. Cross-platform development start-up Xamarin has updated its development framework allowing Microsoft devs to build native iOS apps using Visual Studio. You could already build apps for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Cool.

Nice work, Miguel. Anything to avoid Objective-C.

Anonymous Coward

Microsoft wobblers tempted by the fruit of Apple's mobes can now indulge themselves in up to date tech with features sets and capabilities expected in 2013, and not hold a luddite's phone with limited feature sets in the last decade and poor design!

Trollface

Obviously! hates Apple more than Eadon hates MS. Discuss.

Anonymous Coward

Silverburn is talking through his bottom, making wild assumptions without basis. Don't bother with the discussion.

You taught me everything I know in that regard, Ob...

Anonymous Coward

I dont know you. Explain how?

Happy

Clicky, clicky!

The evidence is all tied up in your post history. Just need to clicky, clicky your name. We all know your name being added to the list of black badge nominees along with Eadon. Just keep going as we all love your words of bias as entertainment. Nothing else.

Bronze badge

"Obviously! hates Apple more than Eadon hates MS. Discuss."

Obviouslky! _is_ Eadon. Discuss.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Clicky, clicky!

Suppose providing entertainment is worthwhile.

Unlike your worthless post.

Who cares what the girls think? I don't Obviously!

Go

Obviouslky! _is_ Eadon. Discuss.

I'm not convinced.

Eadon generally uses the 'may contain highly technical content requiring degree level education or above' icon but his anti-MS diatribe requires anything but..

Obviously uses no icon to post his completely predictable crap.

Eadon always signs off with MS FAIL or very similar.

Obviously uses bad grammar, bad spelling and CAPS.

Re: Obviouslky! _is_ Eadon. Discuss.

@toothpick - possible the same person with a personality disorder? or just teenagers with nothing else better to do. they only seem to run riot in the holidays/weekends.

Anonymous Coward

Enjoy your fantasy world girls.

Happy

Thanks! I quite like fantasy world women. And real world women. So I shall enjoy them as you kindly suggested.

Back to the actual topic, despite being a Mac fanboy and developer of a competing product, I can't help but see this as a good thing. Healthy competition is good for the market and good for the soul and wotnot. Does Xamarin completely end-run around Apple's frameworks and toolkit, or is a Mac with Xcode still required for making iOS apps with them?

Mushroom

You must be joking

Visual Studio integration costs $999 per year per platform. Easier to learn Java...

Anonymous Coward

Re: You must be joking

...or use Unity with UnityVS, which does the same thing for less, and throws in a game engine as well.

Pint

Exactly. And who wants to be tied to Microsoft's proprietary and locked down languages when there are so many better alternatives like Python, Java, etc. I can even write in C/C++ on Android if I wish with NDK, so there's no way in hell I'm going to use Microsoft's or its ugly cousin Mono's crappy development tools.

And don't even get me started on Visual Studio. That's the most bloated POS I've ever used. I'll stick to Screen/Vim/GCC/GDB/Autotools/ANT thanks very much. If I'm forced to use an IDE, I'd rather use something streamlined like Geany.

Silver badge
WTF?

Er, C# isn't locked down. It's ECMA certified and the specs are published there. Also, all the VS "Express" kits are fairly light, not to mention free.

I do agree that expecting indie devs to pay $999 for a VS plugin is nuts, though.

Stop

>>Er, C# isn't locked down.

The standard is controlled by Microsoft. That alone is cause for concern. Then there are the patents, which Microsoft could use to attack anyone using the language ala FAT. If there's one thing that Microsoft's FAT/exFAT/ActiveSync patents have shown us, it's that if they're allowed to establish a monopoly in any area, they'll go around suing and extorting everyone. That's the reason I'll never use Microsoft's development tools.

>>It's ECMA certified and the specs are published there.

So is OOXML, and we all know how much of a clusterfuck that is. ECMA is the first place Microsoft runs when it wants to "legitimise" a product. It's quite meaningless. Microsoft still controls the specs, patents, and everything surrounding dotnet and c#. I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole.

>>Also, all the VS "Express" kits are fairly light, not to mention free.

The express version is just as slow and bloated as the full version. If you like the eyecandy and distractions of the ribbon toolbar, then go right ahead, but I prefer to do real development. Even Microsoft's own developers don't use it. That's testifies to its uselessness.

And let's not forget that the express kit, while it may be free, doesn't support Xamarin plugins, in fact, I don't think it supports plugins at all. For that, you'll need to buy the full version. That's all going to set you back a pretty penny.

Personally, I'd rather save that money and use it to make a better app/game that isn't reliant third parties. I can make great Android apps/games using free operating systems and free development tools, so why pay for them?

Silver badge
Stop

Stopped reading at "ribbon toolbar". No version of VS has a ribbon has or has ever had a ribbon.

You have no clue, little troll.

Anonymous Coward

Why?

The ToS that Apple has all the devs agree to is that you *must* use the Apple SDK to get your app published in their store.

Regarding productivity ...

Being able to share a lot of code among iOS, Android and Windows should boost productivity, however I think you still need to learn a lot of platform specifics like frameworks, environment, event handling and tools (Interface Builder), so probably you still have to learn objective-c in order to understand IOS examples and documentation.

Probably during development you will be reading a lot of objective-c or java examples and mentally translating them to c#. This process is not very productive.

Probably going the html5 way is more productive when developing mobile applications that don't depend on platform specifics

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums