back to article Twitter opens ad API... awaits cash TSUNAMI from ad-slingers

Ads will be creeping into Twitter clients as the social network has opened up an advertising API allowing advertisers to create more complex, targeted advertising using Promoted Tweets and Promoted Account campaigns on the social network. Along with the API, Twitter has named five partners as the first to sign up: Adobe, …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Time to delete that account then...

During my few ventures onto Twitter it seems a strange place. People who think they have a service to provide you follow you. It seems back-to-front! One of my accounts says "photographer", I ended up with loads of Photoshop gurus and make-up artists following me, and that was without ever posting anything!

It's all a bit strange, and full of people with such a poor grasp of English that it makes my eyes bleed.

If it's about to degenerate further I think the "delete account" button will become very popular.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Time to delete that account then...

It seems it's probably the right thing for them to do as a company - sadly. Though I don't have many thoughts I want to share with the world, I think Twitter is a useful and important thing. Before everyone rushes in to deride celebs and idiots filling the service with crud, consider that the internet is similarly full of crap but that doesn't stop it being a Good Thing on balance provided you can filter out the parts you don't care about.

Bronze badge

Ad Blockers Facing a New Threat?

Well, it looks as if Google won't be the only source of reinvigorated anti-adblocker sentiment.

OTOH, setting up accounts and using key words to describe oneself might be a lucrative profit avenue. Just make all the companies pursuing you show what they can do that their competitor won't do or is wont to do. Sort of like 15 or 20 years ago when there began TV adverts where dentists would be forced to competed with other dentists for business more than ever before. Lawyers, ditto.

How to work it? Well, make a list of the companies chasing you . Then, figure out which can an cannot be of use to you. Go with an LCD approach or even MCD and make them all compete on that level. Then, when one or two bid, squeeze them again. Almost like some defense contractors.

Alternatively, the malevolent responders might be inclined to engage them in time-wasting non-pursuit that drain them and kill them off slowlllllly. Not sure what effect it would have on twitter or adobe, but the churn will keep their databases piping hot....

Coffee/keyboard

You just gotta love marketeers!

Getting blood out a stone must be just about nearly as hard as actually trying to make something work properly?

Gold badge

Re: You just gotta love marketeers!

Actually, the first rule of marketing is "have a decent product to sell." Sadly, this hasn't been taught professionally in a long time.

Twitter Said..

"With the Ads API, marketers now have more tools in their arsenal to help them deliver the right message, to the right audience, on the desktop and on mobile devices — all at scale."

Are they referring to weaponry, which does not seem very 'cuddly', or are they suggesting proceeds will be going towards buying more shite players for The Gunners?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums