Feeds

back to article Adobe punts fix for Reader, Acrobat holes battered by PC, Mac hackers

Adobe has pushed out an emergency security update for its PDF viewing software Reader and Acrobat to plug zero-day vulnerabilities that emerged last week. The cross-platform update, issued yesterday, addresses flaws that were being actively exploited by miscreants to compromise and take over Microsoft Windows and Apple Mac OS X …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
Trollface

Adobe products all came with a fix built in years ago - its called UNINSTALL

Happy

...I just wish it worked properly...

I've been Drug Adobe free for 5 years since my intervention!

Silver badge
Windows

Question for the *nix crowd

Is MacOS on the same level of security as the major Linux distros ?

Holmes

Re: Question for the *nix crowd

Good question, seeing MacOS was replaced by OSX in 1999...

Silver badge
Headmaster

Since were being slightly pedantic:

Did you mean OS X rather than OSX ?

Silver badge

In theory yes, if not actually slightly more secure due to the BSD nature of the Mach kernel, as nicked by his Jobsness while he was failing at NeXT.

In practice, considerably less so due to a) the way Apple are slow beyond belief to patch anything, b) a longstanding refusal to accept that their product is vulnerable in any way and c) a growing awareness on the part of malware writers that people who buy Macs have been assured that they don't need AV software, have a relatively very high disposable income and are so gullible that they were prepared to pay Apple's prices; a good sign in any prospective mark.

OS X is, mainly because of a) and b) considerably less secure in the hands of somebody who understands computers than any linux distro.

Silver badge
Holmes

Could the downvoters please explain how they feel that OS X is more secure than $linux_distro_of_choice?

Unless it was just fanbois of course.

Anonymous Coward

No problems here

Being using Okular for a long time now.

Bronze badge
Linux

Re: No problems here

evince

http://projects.gnome.org/evince/

(also available for windows)

Anonymous Coward

Re: No problems here

http://projects.gnome.org/evince/

Urrgggg Gnome !

Silver badge

Adobe 0day

365 24/7 more like.

Silver badge
Facepalm

In related news...

Java 7 update 15 has just been released by Oracle.

Holmes

How does Firefox do it?

Firefox includes a pdf reader and is only 20.6 MB in size. The standalone Adobe Acrobat pdf Reader weighs in at 48.03 MB. The extra bloat is clearly necessary to attract and wave in all the malware nasties into your system. Thank you, Adobe.

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Other PDF readers exist.

Foxit.

Most secure alternative?

I've un-installed Adobe Reader. I have Foxit on my system, but I read some comments here that there were some major security issues with it. So, I have set up PDF Complete to read my .pdf files, sandboxed and with full mitigations set up in EMET. Some others said the Sumatra was the safest and most lightweight .pdf reader. I installed it on an old computer and it works just great.

So which is better? Sumatra, PDF Complete, or anything else?

And do others agree that there are issues with the Foxit reader? Quite a few people seemed to claim that in the other thread (can't remember which one now).

This topic is closed for new posts.