A question posed by El Reg to Australian opposition communications spokesperson Malcolm Turnbull has opened up something of a can of worms. It’s probably unfair to say that Turnbull “floated” or “supports” the idea of Australia imitating the Openreach “Fibre on Demand” model. He merely didn’t dismiss the notion out-of-hand. But …
Most links from the cabinet to the home are above ground.
I smell a telstra trough-snuffle.
Also, as fibre is optical, you could (ahem) pit Telstra against the electric utilities in terms of bidding for duct space. NBN should be talking to all the infrastructure players.
I was right in my comments to a previous article: it *is* the ADSL debacle all over again.
- Leaked screenshots show next Windows kernel to be a perfect 10
- Product round-up Coming clean: Ten cordless vacuum cleaners
- Something for the Weekend, Sir? I need a password to BRAKE? What? No! STOP! Aaaargh!
- Episode 13 BOFH: WHERE did this 'fax-enabled' printer UPGRADE come from?
- Vulture at the Wheel Ford's B-Max: Fiesta-based runaround that goes THUNK