Feeds

back to article iPad? Pah. Behold the EYEPAD, patented by Sony for the 'PS4'

Sony has filed for a patent in Europe on the EyePad, a fondleslab with glowing edges that could be a controller for the PlayStation 4. The fresh paperwork, which was published this month after Sony submitted it last July, "is typically a panel, tablet or slab-like device comprising one or more illuminated regions, two …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Thumb Up

"The device is called an EyePad not to primarily annoy Apple"

But it will help and that's surely a good thing.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "The device is called an EyePad not to primarily annoy Apple"

Doesn't really matter. Who goes into a shop and asks for something these days?

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Yeah dead smart. It seems clear they are trying to ride on Apple's iPad - what next an EyeMac and an EyeTV and an EyeAnythingElseAppleDo.

g e
Silver badge
Paris Hilton

Riding on

Yeah cos apple didn't have to buy/rent 'iOS' and 'iPhone' from Cisco or Fujitsu, did they.

Paris, cos there's only one thing fanbois ride on.

jai
Silver badge

EyeTV is already used by Elgato:

http://www.elgato.com/elgato/int/mainmenu/home/what-is-eyetv.en.html

Anonymous Coward

re: Who goes into a shop and asks for something these days?

You know when mummy and daddy go out on a friday evening and come back with all those carrier bags? They've been shopping....

Anonymous Coward

Re: re: Who goes into a shop and asks for something these days?

My father is the Tesco delivery driver!?

well... the neighbours were wondering why your mother was getting a "delivery" every day....

Silver badge

yup!

it would appear that in their rush to secure a gazillion pointless, absurd, unenforcable, prior art-a-pleny patents apple seem to have fucked up and not patented/coprighted/trademarked the letter i.

tossers

Anonymous Coward

"My father is the Tesco delivery driver!?"

How often does he have to take items back as the member of staff picking things out in the store has chosen to select everything with tomorrow's best before date?

Anonymous Coward

I can see it now in John Lewis

"Hello sales assistant I would like an iPad"

"OK sir would you like the 32 gig iPad or the 64 gig iPad?"

"No you misunderstand me I want the one with the root kit"

"Oh you mean the EyePad well you should have said!"

Devil

I hear the fruity ones are to enter the haberdashery market with an Italian silk cravat, it's to be called the iTie.

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Aren't homonyms fun!

Re: iTie

They're also going to make a TV show about secret agents called iSpy.

Anonymous Coward

Re: iSpy

They can't - iceland have already trademarked the name Ice Pie, and Findus have managed to get Ice Pie-bald :-)

Mushroom

This is going to be a blood bath

Silver badge
Thumb Up

:-D

Popcorn anyone?

Bronze badge
Windows

Well

Maybe but because they used the name for their webcam (EyeToy) I can see them getting away with name usage.

The actual pad though looks to generic for me

Re: Well

The pad is really not that generic. If you look closely, you'll see that it's not even a rectangle.

As Sony is a very rich company, I'm assuming their designers understand something called "perspective", therefore taking their drawing as Gospel, it must be a non-orthogonal pad, which is something entirely new....

Go

Re: Well

But if the camera was EyeToy, then the tablet should be StrokeToy or FeelToy, not EyePad...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Stroke Toy/Feel Toy

I think they wanted to combine the two into Stroke Eye - but Anne Summers already had that one.

Bronze badge

You know those edges.....

..... Do they have corners? I'm sure someone has the exclusive patent for those....

Silver badge
Coat

Skull and crossbones

With a cleverly designed logo they could call it the "AyePad".

What say ye Captain..,.

Gold badge
Pirate

Re: Skull and crossbones

I says buggeration to your electronic gewgaws and gizmos, pass me the rum! And I'll keelhaul the first lawyer who sets foot on me boat!

Coat

If you go that far, why not the whole way too the ArrPad?

Gold badge

I kid I know was in his nursery Christmas play a few years back. Obviously he was the pirate (for reasons to become apparent), although I'm unsure which of the gospels mentions any pirates in the nativity story. I doubt there's even anything in the Dead Sea Scrolls... Anyway, they dressed him, and went to send him out on stage, when a little voice said, "excuse me, you've put the eye-patch over my wrong eye, and I can't see." Turns out his glass eye looked more realistic than the real one...

Damnation! I can't see where's I be goin'! My iPatch is covering the wrong eye! Would have been funnier, but he was only 4.

I wonder if he was the one that brought the baby Jesus the gift of rum, and so got written out of the story... I've no idea what you'd do with myrrh nowadays, but everyone can find a use for a bottle of rum. It was obviously popular, because Jesus's first miracle was to turn water into wine, and save a party from disaster.

Coat

Be carefull. You'll have to mind your p's and q's getting from Eye to Arr!

lvm

too bad the eyephone is already taken

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaHUpWuqNHY

Re: too bad the eyephone is already taken

Best episode ever. And I saw Obsoletely Fabulous so it's saying something. The EyePhone isn't the half of it.

Bronze badge
FAIL

FFS...

When will the far east innovate rather than bandwagon?

'Hey samsung copies everything, my be we should too'

Silver badge

Re: FFS...

Yeah, all those original ideas that Apple has.... They invented the icon you know! And the touchscreen. And the mobile phone! And the tablet computer! And the walkman!

Anonymous Coward

I hate stubbornly arrogant people.

Apple invented shite all.

Silver badge

hmm im sure i saw the words from the previous post used elsewhere, and those letters have a familliar ring too.

well im not reading it if it's not 100% original

Silver badge

and the rectangle

and the apple leaf

oh and the apple

Silver badge

@ Obviously!, re: I hate stubbornly arrogant people.

Are you taking the piss?

Silver badge

Actually I don't think I'd accuse them of copying Apple here. I'm thinking their eyes were trained more at Nintendo, and the EyePad name was just an ill thought out application of their existing naming convention.

Or am I the only one who sees this and immediately thinks of the Wii U?

Anonymous Coward

@Obviously bitter and twisted

Sure you you mean the iCon.

Anonymous Coward

Uh oh, this has shades of microsoft vs mikerowesoft about it.

Except without the corporate bullying of a student of course.

Soft southerners

I'm waiting for the tough northern tablet computer. Yep the Why-Aye-Pad!!

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Soft southerners

The Why-Aye-Pad is soooo tough, that it disnae need a case. If you're going to use it in really difficult conditions, say on an Antarctic building site, we do sell a t-shirt for it.

Sasanach!

The och aye pad.

Or the new och aye the noo pad...

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Sasanach!

isn't that the upgrade... the och-aye-noo

noo??

okay

Re: Sasanach!

I have the OiPad which has a 16-hole lace-up case made by Dr Marten

WTF?

I.. what?

*checks date*

F-F.....February fools?

On a more serious note, I don't want a fucking tablet for a playstation controller!

Silver badge

Thank you for sharing that. However, lots of people use their PS3 for watching streamed video, and using the joypad to enter text into searches isn't great. A virtual keyboard on a tablet would be okay.

Anonymous Coward

"A virtual keyboard on a tablet would be okay"

I won't be assuming that Sony will do anything worthwhile with this tech if it does launch, they certainly didn't do much worth knowing about with Move.

If you discount all the hastey patch jobs on existing games to make them compatible for no good reason the thing was pretty much just abandonded after a few good launch titles.

I will however assume that the full potential of anything sony does will remain locked to the user. I look forward to being proved wrong.

Silver badge

For sure, I haven't been persuaded to get a Move, and am far from convinced how well integrating it into this tablet will work. I was just observing that whilst a tablet might not be great as a games controller (Tekken: No. Real Time Strategy games: Maybe), it makes a reasonable companion to a TV-connected media player.

Stop

USB keyboard

£5 for a decent USB keyboard from a supermarket. Significantly cheaper for the task you describe, and already works on the PS3.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.