Feeds

back to article Baby-boulder bowling burglar breaks Boulder Apple Store's $100k glass door

An intruder stole Apple kit worth over $60,000 from the Apple Store in Boulder, Colorado, but caused more financial damage by breaking the door, reports ABC News Denver. The custom-made glass door of the Apple Store on 29th Street in Boulder cost $100K. The Apple burglar - described by cops as a hooded man armed with three …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

For $100k, you would have thought 'unbreakable' would have been somewhere in the specifications...

Anonymous Coward

Yes because you can get glass that is completely unbreakable <doh>. Even bandit / laminated glass would have been 'broken' / severely damaged and need replacement and of course depends how determined the crook was - resists stones - maybe, gun shots - possibly - 2 ton SUV being driven at it - ??

Silver badge

The thief was then caught two days later with the stolen goods courtesy of the find my phone app and serial number registration.

Microsoft commented, 'luckily we don't suffer these kind of smash and grab raids'.

Read into that comment what you will.

Silver badge

Fanbois will do anything to try and deflect criticism from Apple onto MS? Even when the criticism is as ridiculous as "their glass doors are breakable" and MS has no relation to the story whatsoever?

Devil

Re: Read into that comment what you will.

MS deserves all the criticism we can throw at it. They are pure evil.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: Pure Evil

Oh, come on. A software company is "Pure Evil"? Really?

Jo, you have either led a very sheltered life, or you are clinically insane. Either way, we're not really interested in what you have to say.

GJC

Silver badge
Boffin

Yes, I'm a Mac user, but Microsoft "pure evil"?

Might I refer you to Hanlon's razor? - ""Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity."

Bronze badge
WTF?

I had every window in my house (3 flat), about 30 of them, replaced a few years ago. The whole deal, installation included, was an order of magnitude cheaper than this. I don't think it's possible for a single pane door glass to cost anything near this much.

Silver badge
FAIL

I thought Apple were wealthy enough not to stoop to insurance fraud.

Anonymous Coward

So how many shops have magic glass that cannot be broken - or at least damaged so badly as to require repair. Just depends what you hit it with - ram raid?

Trollface

Microsoft commented, 'luckily we don't suffer these kind of smash and grab raids'.

That it's much easier to break Windows, perhaps?

Thumb Up

I'm no fanboi...

...but I upvoted that. :)

Anonymous Coward

@Geoff Campbell - I think it was meant as a joke

Silver badge
WTF?

A joke, you say? Did I perhaps miss the punchline?

GJC

Silver badge

As the great Nelson Muntz commented, Ah Ah -

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/microsoft-campus-hit-by-thieves-only-ipads-stolen

Silver badge
Trollface

Magic glass

There is a local plastic fabricator who won't say his windows are unbreakable, but is willing give anyone a shot at it with a sledge hammer.

He is not willing to pay for any hospital costs from said hammer bouncing off the window and hitting you.

GBE

MS burgler only took Apple gear

> Microsoft commented, 'luckily we don't suffer these kind of

> smash and grab raids'.

Don't I recall a report from a few months back of a burgler who broke in to Microsofts R&D offices and stole nothing but Apple gear?

Joke

My Guess is "Unbreakable" glass probably cost too much so they went with the slightly less expensive "Insanely great" doors instead...

No, just clueless and ham-handed with a chair shortage thrown in.

Bronze badge

Re: ...much easier to break Windows, perhaps?

All you need is a little 'drive-by'......

Silver badge

I thought Apple used gorilla glass! That is a pretty fair price for a normal sized door. A friends restaurant just replaced a ~50ft series of sliding glass doors, ~7 ft tall for less than that.

Anonymous Coward

> I thought Apple used gorilla glass!

Apparently they skimped and bought lower spec macaque glass instead.

Silver badge
Gimp

$100k for a glass door?

What the fuck is it made of - Waterford Crystal?

Silver badge

Re: $100k for a glass door?

You are missing the point. It is a designer door - part of a copyrighted and trademarked design. You do not expect that to be cheap do you?

Silver badge
FAIL

This price most likely includes Apple's profit margins - somewhere north of 52% - after all they screw all their customers, why not insurers?

Perhaps they should also invest in some alarms, as well, something like the < http://burglarbomb.com/ > which fills the protected area with pepper gas spray.

Anonymous Coward

This is a custom made door of some size. It's about $10k to have all your windows replaced in your house and those are flimsy thin glass and plastic.

Glass for shops will need to be safer and thicker.

Shop fittings cost a fortune.

Stop

it has rounded corners. Come on, that has to cost

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge
Pint

The glass door itself was only $5,995. The special pentalobe screws to install it cost the other $94,000.

Silver badge

Maybe they used the same math the record companies use to get the value of a downloaded MP3.

Silver badge

A company that spends 100k on a shop door is destined for a fall.

Bronze badge

Well, THAT's the $64,000 question. (Note: ~$64,000 of kit were stolen...)

Anonymous Coward

Call that glass fancy?

This is fancy!

Silver badge

Alternative title

Apples appliance advertising area atrophied after astounding attack.

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: Alternative title

Ahem. Actually: Apple's appliance advertising area atrophied after astounding attack.

Able assistance for amateur author's apostrophe angst.

Silver badge

Mea culpa, I admit that my alliterative skills exceed my grammatical skills.

Silver badge
Pint

An illiterate alliterate.

I like it.

Have a beer - a beautiful brew bodaciously benefits...

Thank you for not using 'alternate title', absent apostrophes notwithstanding...

Silver badge
Pint

"Have a beer - a beautiful brew bodaciously benefits..."

Surely you get cider after crushing Apple?

Thumb Down

Moron thieves

My step-dad's BMW 635 Csi had its window broken to steal a stereo that probably got the moron who stole it 20 quid for a fix. Fucking idiots, the lot of them.

Silver badge

Re: Moron thieves

Not if they needed the 20 quid for a fix. Fuck sight easier to sell a stereo than a car. Why the fuck should they care how expensive your step dad's car is? I don't.

Anonymous Coward

Brand (and certainly make) of car indeed irrelephant: battered decade-old Micra's window will cost 10x more to replace than what you get for a stolen stereo.

/Heck, our entire car is worth less than the ipad in its glove compartment, replacing any bit of it is uneconomical.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: irrelephant

Awesome! Unnecessary pachyderm!

Silver badge

When the thieves have to subtract the cost of their damage from the value of the goods they obtain, whether they get caught or not, they'll stop thieving.

THEY don't have to pay anything. They are a £20 stereo up. You/your insurers are down much more, and have to fix the damage and protect the car properly. Now who's the idiot?

That said, I'm guessing you left the front panel on the stereo. Things like that make it inviting even if it's as cheap as chips. Maybe they broke in thinking it was a nicer model than it was (or that you might have left something out) and, once in, took it anyway so it wasn't a total loss.

Don't leave the radio panel on. Don't leave sat-navs in the car. Don't leave wires trailing out of the cigarettel lighter and disappearing into pockets / storage spaces. Don't invite a theft by even leaving a coat over the back-seat (you know what my dad does every time he leaves something valuable in a car? Drapes something over it so you can't see it). The coat / stereo / sat-nav might be worthless, but it invites them to try, and once they are in, they'll take whatever they can find.

And if you think a thief is going to spend ten minutes of suspiciously looking into the car to try to determine the model / value of an item rather than just smashing the window and having it anyway, then you're sadly mistaken.

Silver badge

Back in the 90s, one of my mates was always "bigging up", as we called it in those days, his monstrous CD collection - over 4000 CDs, of which he would carry about 400 around in one of those massive CD folders in his car. Parked it one day in a chavvy part of town, didn't hide the CD folder under the seat, came back to find that £4k+ of CDs had just wandered off, along with his passenger window.

He still bitches about losing his rare ones...

Silver badge

these days it would be a $4M fine for ripping CDs he owns to MP3

Silver badge

4000 cds

Whoa. Ripping that lot would generate about 2.6 Tb of data. Ain't no portable mp3 player that big, not for another 20 years anyway.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Re: 4000 cds

4000 x 0.7 / 10 = 280GB ie about 2 big iPod's worth

Anonymous Coward

El reg pay attention. In the real world business buildings are insured.

Silver badge

Unless they self-insure.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.