Microsoft’s super-select, invitation-only Surface Pro launch event in New York has been cancelled thanks to a big fish. The general manager of Microsoft’s Surface team Panos Pany tweeted that he wouldn’t be able to attend the event at Best Buy in Times Square because of blizzard warnings hanging over the New York City area. …
didn't apple order the weather in for the last big Google launch?
Seriously, what does the 11" MacBook offer that Surface Pro doesn't? Better keyboard and trackpad sure, but higher resolution display, multitouch, stylus count in Surface favour. MBA+iPad obviously is dramatically more expensive.
I doubt Apple is too worried about people running out in droves for the "Surface".
Not Apple. Nature abhors a Microsoft Surface Pro...
MacBook Air + iPad gives the user so much more than Surface Pro. Let's just list some of the benefits:
- The best ultrathin notebook. Everyone else tries to match it;
- The best 10" tablet. Everyone else tries to match it.
- If need be, mobile dual-monitor setup with a pretty high resolution secondary monitor (higher resolution than the Surface Pro's screen, by the way);
- Ability to use the best device for the task -- when you need a tablet, you use the tablet, when you need a notebook, you use the notebook. No compromises!
- Both provide you over 17 hours of work time....
- And, by the way the MacBook Air runs Windows just fine. Usually better than other notebooks. Or, you just run Parallels or Virtual Box and stay with the better native OS.
This is why my travel bag has both. That setup replaced a "high end" Windows workstation, that by my current standards is next to useless. By the way, it weighted more, was more expensive and way, way more unreliable. Not to start about battery life.
Oh yes, it is "more expensive". But better tools are always more expensive than junk tools, even if they might look similar or even "duller" to the untrained eye. However, with so much widespread experience, there are no excuses to make things up.
But then, there are niche applications for an Surface Pro like device. If yours fail in that cathegory, then by all means to use it. But for general mobile computing... many tried to make it work for more than a decade. Enough is enough.
Oh? TV stations are naming storm systems now?
How soon before sponsorship, or even negative sponsorship?
This hurricane brought to you by B and Q, visit us for all those building essentials at www.diy.com...
At least with this naming they should be able to find it... ;)
Get the "both people were upset" joke out of the way...
MS had a launch party, and nemo came...
<== latin teacher, just in case...
What there are two users ! Wow.
I wonder how Eadon will spin this to MS=Bastards?
Your wish/wonder has been granted - see right below
Re: Climate Change is BENEFICENT, it saves the world from rubbish MS gimcracks
The selling point MS missed for the pro to time stressed execs....
You can also cook your breakfast on the back of it.
the Intel-powered, chunkster slablet that's been getting the kind of reviews that help ensure press don't get invited to launch events
Haha, quality. I guess that means fewer Microsoft ads for you guys..
4 inches of snow, lol ...an hour... oh. Shit.
Re: Rubbish comments system
Stop splitting the site sections to look like different websites, for fuck sake.
It's worse than that. Even though we can all still click on the comments link to see the entire thread the way we've been used to, there are at least a few bad knock-on effects I predict will be the result of the new system:
1. We'll get many more first-post click whores who are more interested in just getting their words underneath the article than engaging in a conversation (ie, what the comments section is). It doesn't really matter how inane the first poster is, the fact that they're first means they have an advantage when it comes to click whoring.
2. Even those posts that are genuinely interesting and get lots of votes probably won't make very much sense in isolation since, again, it needs the full conversation as context (at least unless people change their posting styles to incorporate quotes so people know what the immediate context is)
3. We'll get lots of stupid/redundant replies in the comments section based on people attacking/defending comments that they read in the main article page without checking whether it's already been done to death in the main comments page (again with the idea of a "conversation"... get the picture?)
If the reg must have "promoted" comments (or "highly rated" as it's called now), you should either copy what Ars does and let the editors pick and choose what comments are promoted OR you add a new button to the current roster of thumbs up/thumbs down to indicate that a comment is both worthy AND front-page material (I suggest a thumbs up icon in front of a star). I'd hope that people would realise the point of the new icon is to flag posts that are particularly insightful and self-contained enough to act as a companion to the story, but who knows... you'd really have to try it to see how it works. At least it couldn't be worse than the new system.
I, for one, welcome our new comment overlords, etc...
wrong kind of snow
I'm glad we're not alone on this side of the pond! :D
This one could be historic
This storm is no normal Winter storm for the East Coast of the U.S. Some areas could receive up to three feet of snow. NYC expects to have 14" which will shut everything down including all airports. There is no place to put 14" of snow in the metro NY area so it must be trucked away which takes a long time. Stores have exhausted their supplies of bread, food, milk, beer, etc. as many people will also lose electrical power with the freezing rain/sleet that is also expected with the snow. This storm could be of historic proportions for the Northeast.
"... ahead of the arrival of a winter storm named “Nemo” by the Weather Channel." -- please stop....I've got a headache from continuous and sustained eye-rolling.
It's nature's way....
... that Microsoft have been frozen out of the market.
Haaaaa Haaaaaaaaa Haaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Now can only be topped by 5000 feet deep hole opening up underneath Redmond, so all of Microsoft falls into a giant magma chamber....
Satan: "I welcome the company. What? It's Microsoft? Ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww - Quick Plug the hole, Plug the hole - I don't want them down here with me, they will give me a bad name - it will make devil worshipping uncool and unsellable too!"
I thought it was named after Captain Nemo
something to do with his 'detestation of the nations of the surface" - to quote wikipedia
Re: I thought it was named after Captain Nemo
Nemo: known historically for sinking things.
..... so they shut the Windows.
Let's face it
The first Surface Microsoft let in the world -- and Nature reacted with Sandy.
The second Surface Microsoft let in the world -- Nemo comes.
The third time, they say is the final one.
Let's pray there will be no third Surface, or the US might suffer some more. For who knows what the Nature's reaction would be... a meteorite hitting Times Square?
Poor choice of name...
I find it a shame that our National Weather Service didn't name the storm 'Ahab'.
That would have provided fodder for all manner of comments based on 'The Great White Whale' vs 'The Irrelevant White Elephant'. As, for example: "The tale of The Great White Whale and The Irrelephant White Elephant." OOOoooooooohhhhhhh! See how easy it is? Now it's your turn!
- Xmas Round-up Ten top tech toys to interface with a techie’s Christmas stocking
- It's true, the START MENU is coming BACK to Windows 8, hiss sources
- Google embiggens its fat vid pipe Chromecast with TEN new supported apps
- Pic NASA Mars tank Curiosity rolls on old WET PATCH, sighs, sniffs for life signs
- Microsoft: Don't listen to 4chan ... especially the bit about bricking Xbox Ones