back to article Motorola complaint against Microsoft narrowed

Google-owned Motorola has had its patent portfolio trimmed by a US judge in its ongoing battle with Microsoft. Reuters is reporting that judge James Robart of the US District Court has ruled thirteen claims in three patents (US 7,310,374, 7,310,375 and 7,310,376) invalid. The order is at Scribd, here. At issue are two claims …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: MS vs Google patent wars

Why is this Judge not in charge of the apple / samsung case. All those motorolla patents seem to have been deemed invalid for reasons most people say half of the apple patents used should be invalid.

Back on track here, I honestly do hope that the US decide to reform their patent process. Get rid of software patents, tighten up what counts for a design patent. Prevent any further patents in these areas (outside the new bounds) being issued, and let the existing patents last until they expire.

Then again, I think any patent case should start with a

"We're suing because they infringe patent X"

"Okay, lets review patent X outside of court first, and see if it's actually valid so we don't waste everybodies time"

Silver badge

As I recall, didn't Motorola sue MS before the Android patent thing started? And long before Google bought (and shat on) Motorola?

Gold badge
Facepalm

Except of course, those paying license fees to MS include some of the most hard-nosed defenders of patent suits on the planet (e.g. Samsung).

Thus, the fact that they're all coughing up without so much as trying to contest the patents in question would be a pretty bloody obvious clue that the things are both watertight and worth having. My guess would be that one of the big ones is the MS proprietary Long Filename extensions to FAT32, a battle-hardened warhorse when it comes to patent contests.

I'd agree that it looks like Google are trying to retaliate[1], having bought Moto for its patent portfolio, but it also looks like that's becoming something of a pig's ear. I recall Apple saying that Moto's patents weren't worth shit and it appears that their assessment may have been correct.

[1] Although feeling that you have to "retaliate" because you've found that your product requires licensing something from someone else seems awfully childish to me. Almost as childish as your inevitable rant above.

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon - If we're talking about personal attacks, you calling everyone who disagrees with you a shill would be personal and childish. Why are they personal attacks when directed at you, but you're quite happy to dish it out when it's to other people you don't like - this is the behavior of a bully.

Silver badge

and that brings up the question of WHY they're using fat32 on sdcards when ext2 has all that and more.

"and that brings up the question of WHY they're using fat32 on sdcards when ext2 has all that and more"

Because an SD card 99% of people can't just read by plugging into their PC is basically useless.

Anonymous Coward

on the contrary to Eadons gibberish......

...the fact that companies installing Android on the devices they manufacture have to pay MS, whereas manufacturers installing WinPhone on devices they manufacture do not have to pay Google, indicates that the patent system is working perfectly!

Silver badge
Devil

This is something that should have been sorted at filing

Frankly, the examiner did not his job. While I can understand failures to find prior art (shit happens) failures to have correct claims should not pass the patent examination process.

Bronze badge

Re: This is something that should have been sorted at filing

... and as the Patent Office charged for examination and filing, it should have to pay legal costs plus damages to sort the mess out.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums