Feeds

back to article Ex-US Army man: NYT hacks part of wider war on western media firms

Recent hack attacks on the New York Times and the Wall Street Journal may be simply the most prominent out of a wider series of assaults against western media firms, according to a cyber-security intelligence firm. Researchers have said that at least six separate Advanced Persistent Threat (APT) groups are likely responsible for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Thumb Up

I somehow doubt they are 'well resourced'... Unless you are referring to the resource of botnet controlled nodes?

Although there might be movement for them to become well resourced, inspired by rewards for finding vulnerabilities

The issue I believe remains with the shades

Silver badge
Thumb Up

"I somehow doubt they are 'well resourced'... " They mean financially, I'm guessing. Which means that they're paid to do it and supplied equipment and tools, one would assume. That's well resourced in comparison to 'amateur' attacks.

Anonymous Coward

So careful about China gov's public image

When you have so much to hide as the China Communist Party, it makes sense they're worried about the press.

Silver badge

Re: So careful about China gov's public image

When you have so much to hide as the China Communist Party, it makes sense they're worried about the press. ... Anonymous Coward Posted Wednesday 6th February 2013 19:26 GMT

Good Morning, AC,

Whenever so much is being hidden from the China Communist Party, it makes sense to be worried about the press and shared intelligent observations if one is into the peddling and protection of sensitive inequitable secrets and dodgy security systems which promise more than they are able to deliver in these times of increasing transparency and para-anonymous disenchanted whistleblowing.

Things have changed in the wide wacky world and it is a fab folly not to realise and accept that everything is going to be different and better, for anything else proposed which is destructive so that things can remain much as the same will be opposed and defeated, with those who would be proposing it, personally targeted for special extreme prejudice attention. Is that not the current Wild West American Way in furtherance of Demonocracy?

Anonymous Coward

Re: So careful about China gov's public image

Why is it we detest so violently in other nation's governments that which our own has been buggering us with for time out of mind?

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

"We are the good guys."

Mr. Barger declined to comment on how long the US government has been hacking into the Chinese public and private sectors or who fired the first shot in the "Hackers War".

Re: "We are the good guys."

Aren't all governments in all countries at least trying to monitor any information available? I wonder how many "attacks" are merely poorly-executed attempts to monitor traffic, not to intentionally disrupt business.

Facepalm

Cheese Barger

Did he also acuse the "commies" of "draining our precious bodily fluids"?

Silver badge
Meh

Cyber-security firm says attacks are proof we need more cyber-security

In other news, the baker said we should eat more bread, the milkman said we don't drink enough milk, and the butcher says we need to eat more meat.

No self-serving press releases going on here...

Anonymous Coward

Payback can be Hell

What goes around comes around and when it does, watch out.

This topic is closed for new posts.