Feeds

back to article US Department of Energy: Which bright spark just hacked us?

Personal information on several hundred employees at the the US Department of Energy has been compromised as the result of a hack attack, according to media reports. The FBI is reportedly investigating the attack, which was detected around two weeks ago. According to officials quoted in the Washington Free Beacon, the damage …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Simply block any Chinese IP Address. Problem solved.

proxy server

vpn

ip masking

All reasons why it's not so simple.

Silver badge

Re:

Alternatively you get your stateside agent to do it. IP blocking alone is akin to building a complete fence but always leaving the gates unlocked.

Go

Its all in the hips

Its all in the HIPS...

*Happy Gilmore quote*

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

Re: Its all in the hips

Maybe not, as the prevention portion of that failed. On the other hand, "It's all in the HIDS," doesn't lend itself to much. "HIPS don't lie," perhaps?

Silver badge
FAIL

The USA Government: Standard of Technical Excellence?

I don't think so.

And they are persecuting MANNING? Think someone else needs to be in the dock for incompetence.

Bronze badge

Re: The USA Government: Standard of Technical Excellence?

Let's consider your statement.

One agency has one office compromised, therefor, all agencies and offices are incompetent.

Manning intentionally released classified data. More should have been suffering for lack of due diligence and dereliction of duty, as the very moment he was flagged for deleterious personnel actions, his access should have been revoked. It's only a DoD, hence a US Army regulation.

So, his commander, personnel officer, intelligence officer all should have also been facing penalties for dereliction of duty.

One upside, I know of some IT and IA positions that are opening up at a US DoE office.

Black Helicopters

fanning the flame

I suppose this could be the fan to the flame that may sweep through the political offices later on to try and establish more legislation on all things internet.

Silver badge

If this is a security issue

then wouldn't it be relevant to talk about the operating system they are using? In any case, whatever they're using doesn't seem to be working for them.

IT Angle

More commentary on the breach can be found ..

"More commentary on the breach can be found in blog posts by Graham Cluley of Sophos here and Rik Ferguson of Trend Micro here". ®

I'm left none the wiser from reading those posts ...

Silver badge
Unhappy

Sadly, for the DoE this is an improvement.

At least this time they KNOW they were hacked.

This topic is closed for new posts.