back to article Opscode guts Chef control freak to scale it to 10,000 servers

Opscode is in a race with Puppet Labs to become a next-generation management tool, and its latest Chef product, which does configuration, change, and cloud management, is used by some of the name-brand hyperscale cloud application operators out there. As part of the launch of the Chef 11 tool, Facebook is outing itself as a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

all those smart guys

and they can't figure out how to fix their http://status.opscode.com/ site from returning invalid Location: headers breaking standards compliant browsers.

A problem I reported to them about 4 months ago.

chef, blah. been using it for two years and it's a powerful tool but I would not go out of my way to use it again. I much prefer "configuration as documentation" to "configuration as code". any day of the week.

it sounds good for folks like facebook and google though. they probably need that sort of thing... 99.9999% of the rest of the organizations do not require the complexity that chef brings to the table.

Bronze badge

curious though -- scale being an issue these days

I'm a cfengine user, and load being an issue these days, am wondering if a switch is in order.

Anyone on here used all three products and have views?

Chef/Puppet/Cfengine

Gold badge
Boffin

For those of you who've never heard of Erlang

It was developed by Ericson to allow them to write the control software for PBX's. It's now out of their hands and independent.

It's focus is on robustness, catching errors before they get compiled and keeping the system up. IIRC one of it's tricks is by default to pass pointers to objects rather than copy them so that if the process gets destroyed the data remains valid and the window for generating corrupt data (IE invalid pointer) is much smaller.

I think it's pretty good at being formally verifiable as well.

Useful if you wanted to build a really big dynamically changing system whose failure would upset a lot of people all at once.

I'm amazed any American has ever used it.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums