back to article Wikileaks reveals Icelandic FBI shenanigans

Whatever WikiLeaks eventually thinks of the movie being made about Julian Assange, it’s proving expert in the business of buzz-generation. After shooting began in Reykjavik at the end of January (Iceland Review), the organisation has revealed - completely co-incidentally, of course - an incident in August 2011 in which FBI …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Anonymous Coward
    Unhappy

Well...

Where is the interesting part of the article?

1. Dennis Wilson
      Headmaster

Re: Well...

The bit where the big superpower tried to enter Iceland and use Icelandic police as a their peronnal puppet is a good guess.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

@Dennis, no that's the conspiracy theory bit of the story.

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence. Probably a procedural balls up.

1. Falanx
          Flame

I'm sick to the back teeth of the Hanlon's Razor Nuremberg Defence. "They were only being lazy and stupid."

Ignorance and willful stupidity *are* malice. If you can't be f***ed to learn and you can't be f***ed to understand, that's f***ing malice aforethought. Just 'cause it seems more fuzzy and friendly than outright hostility, it's as antisocial as ti comes nonetheless.

Grrrr.

1. JohnG

@Falanx Malice would imply some ill will from the FBI towards the authorities of Iceland. I would suggest that "arrogance" is more likely i.e. it probably never occurred to the FBI that other counties have their own laws and procedures and that perhaps they should check before just turning up.

2. Intractable Potsherd

"Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence." If that was the case, then malice would never be attributed - I can't think of a case of institutional malice where incompetence couldn't be an explanation (individual cases are more divisible).

1. David Cantrell

Hanlon's Razor (never attribute to malice that which can be explained by stupidity) has a corollary though - "stupidity maintained long enough is a form of malice".

3. hplasm
          Devil

Re: Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence.

That's just what they would want you to think.

Well done.

2. Thorne

"The bit where the big superpower tried to enter Iceland and use Icelandic police as a their peronnal puppet is a good guess."

Like New Zealand...

3. Fatman

Re: ...and use Icelandic police as a their peronnal puppet is a good guess.

Too bad the kiwis didn't take notice of that before the clusterfuck involving Dotcom.

2. Andrew Moore

Err- America tried to be naughty and Iceland Bjorked them...

3. tirk
      Facepalm

Yes you're right, it's of no interest that a bit scary country sent it's enforcers illegally to a smaller country, and it was hushed up. Assuming you are the tyrant of said big scary country that is.

2. Mephistro
    Devil

The FBI thinks they're being polite

Well, at least this time they sent their own agents, instead of just sending extradition requests. Saves money to taxpayers at the other side.

</sarcasm>

1. Andrew Moore

Re: The FBI thinks they're being polite

My guess is Mossad didn't like the cold.

3. Jay Holmes
    Big Brother

Piss myself laughing if they were actually there on holiday or even better doing something that had fuck all to do with Assange!!

Not that the oxygen thief is getting annoying now, but seriously a couple of FBI agents go to Iceland.....

.......mines the smoking gun on the grassy knoll!!!

1. Resound

...because everyone asks for co-operation from the local police with interviewing people while they're on holidays. What's a holiday without a few interrogations?

1. Jay Holmes
        FAIL

You seem to have misplaced your sense of humour!!

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"You seem to have misplaced your sense of humour!!"

Have you not learned that you cannot make jokes about the holey one without getting a severe downvote?

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"What's a holiday without a few interrogations?"

What's a holiday without a few "enhanced" interrogations?

There, fixed that for you. Lightweight liberal terrorist-harbouring nancy.

4. Ian Easson

Iceland should tell the US to FO

Somebody needs to say it first.

1. Ole Juul

Re: Iceland should tell the US to FO

They did.

5. stragen001

Remember the days when the USA was isolationist...... Those were the days....

1. asdf

yep

Europe not being able to sort out its own affairs ruined that. It was looking bad again there for a bit but things have calmed down lately. Still having no money is going to keep Team America out of a lot of affairs for quite some time.

6. The Vociferous Time Waster

Iceland?

Doesn't Russia own Iceland now?

http://wikileaks.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/01/13/embassy_suggested_us_bail_out_iceland_to_counter_russian_influence

1. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Re: Iceland ........ APT Gateways and Novel Noble Portals?

That's an interesting theory and crazy notion to actively develop for further exploitation of advanced opportunities with zeroday vulnerabilities in politically inept applications in globally minded institutions with stealthy programming projects.

And whenever it be true, The Vociferous Time Waster, does it indicate that Russia are leading in that particular and peculiar competitive race?

7. amanfromMars 1 Silver badge

Uncle Sam Suffers from Nervous Breakdowns and Panic Attacks due to SMARTR* Intelligence Deficit

Never attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by incompetence. Probably a procedural balls up ……. AC Posted Sunday 3rd February 2013 23:06 GMT

Probably a procedural balls up, AC? Oh please, you cannot be serious whenever incompetent malice is systemic and endemic in a big scary country.

Yes you're right, it's of no interest that a bit scary country sent it's enforcers illegally to a smaller country, and it was hushed up. Assuming you are the tyrant of said big scary country that is. … tirk Posted Sunday 3rd February 2013 23:14 GMT

Howdy, tirk,

If you can believe the evidence/news here, ….. http://www.thedailybell.com/28642/Paul-Craig-Roberts-In-Amerika-Law-No-Longer-Exists-the-extermination-of-truth …. would they be wannabe tyrants of a big scared country/failing executive body/second rate sub prime sysadmin in dire straits need of novel betas with better intellectual property feeds and seeds.

And there is no question of that analysis not being right.

* … Specific Measurable Attainable Realistic Timely Researching

Self-Monitoring, Analysis and Reporting Technology Reviewing

1. Androgynous Crackwhore
      Mushroom

Re: Uncle Sam Suffers from Nervous Breakdowns and Panic Attacks due to SMARTR* Intelligence Deficit

OMG! I think I just blew an aneurysm.

...and I've now got the chorus of Money for Nothing going round and round in my head.

Thanks AMFM :-|

8. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Holmes

"No She-Troll hunting without a permit!"

And what are Ögmundur Jónasson's links to Dickileaks pet she-troll Birgitta Jónsdóttir? Given his own involvement in the Icesave mess, maybe he was just paranoid the FBI may have been looking at where all those "protected" Icelandic investors were spending their political contributions.

/Holmes as we don't have a Jack Bauer icon.

9. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It's interesting that the US managed to move from "moderately trustworthy" to a status well below China and Russia in less than a decade, and continues to dig deeper.

1. beep54

Hey. Eight years of Bush/Cheney, so what do you expect?

1. Alan Brown Silver badge

I'd expect that the more "liberal" president would start filling in the hole instead of continuing to dig.

2. asdf
        Thumb Down

frowney face

>Hey. Eight years of Bush/Cheney, so what do you expect?

What occurred. The US going from the only economic/military superpower with some moral credibility to just another broke ass corrupt country that tortures people.

2. Psyx
      Stop

"It's interesting that the US managed to move from "moderately trustworthy" to a status well below China and Russia in less than a decade, and continues to dig deeper."

Huh? Seriously? So they were a bunch of huggy my-little-ponies during the 'Red Scares', Cold War, Vietnam, et al? How about when the US government dragged its heels over getting involved in a couple of World Wars until they deliberately racked up enough credit with every other superpower to effectively destroy future competition?

Heck didn't they annex California, New Mexico and Texas before 1850?

The US has been an imperialist, expansionist power.

Like father, like son!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Apparently so. And some Texans I met while there still don't like the situation much.

From a British perspective, much development in the region for agriculture was being bankrolled by London around that time. Needless to say, compensation for the early investors was not generous nor forthcoming.

10. Anonymous Coward
    FAIL

Should have let them in.....

Provided that I give them all body cavity searches while wearing my shoulder length gloves, and then a good scrub down on one of the CIA style wooden horizontal showers.....

Maybe smear them in their own shit and take photos - or attach electric wires to their genitals etc...

Or how about feeding them Depleted Uranium suppliments, there's 1300 tons of that laying around Iran and Iraq.

A few grams each shouldn't hurt.

FAIL - The Americans and their spreading "Peace and Democracy" to the world, sure has united it. The rest of the world has the same flag as the American's, but theirs is on fire.

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Should have let them in.....

Hmm. Maybe, just maybe it's time for your medicine..

11. Tony Paulazzo
    Devil

1692 - Salem witch trials

1950 - McCarthyism

War on drugs, on terror, forcing thru' IP protectionism...

America has never had a problem with seeing monsters under the bed and trampling all over due process.

But I suppose it's Britains fault really, we should never have let the terrorists win, (1775–1783) - ooh, ouch!

1. Psyx
      Devil

"we should never have let the terrorists win"

Never mind: At least we ALL learned our lesson of not trying to inflict policies on a local population who doesn't want you there, on another continent, at the end of long supply lines, in inhospitable terrain, against irregular forces who are personally invested in the future of their nation.

Oh...wait...

12. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

A$$ange is yesterday's news

Wikiloser and A$$ange are insignificant fools seeking media attention and some in the media are dumb enough to oblige them.

1. Jay Holmes

Re: A$$ange is yesterday's news

Be careful what you say about Assange, judging by my earlier comment either people didn't get the humour or they took exception to me referring to St Julian as an Oxygen thief!!

Anyway back on topic, has anybody said what the Feebs were doing in Iceland in the first place, or is it just 2+2=4 or 2+2=Assange, in other words were they looking at Assange or something completely unrelated to Wikileaks?

13. Adam 1

US registers own protest

... Hrafnsson needs more vowels.

14. bag o' spanners
    Black Helicopters

Maybe they were only there to check out some dodgy geysers.

15. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bobby Fischer died in 2008.

Just in case the Feds hadn't realised.

16. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Really ?

If you think the FBI left without already having all the info they needed , consider this.

Who knows how many of them stayed after their chummies were sent home ? Don't believe a thing you read or hear in a public news source about secretive organisations.Ain't that a bit of what the lesson left by Wikileaks is about ? This said . Iceland kicking them out could have been part of the plot all along.

Disinformation is just that. Still cheering for Iceland ?

17. Tony Paulazzo
    Big Brother

Disinformation is just that. Still cheering for Iceland ?

http://www.collective-evolution.com/2013/01/11/why-did-media-keep-the-recent-peaceful-icelandic-revolution-quiet/

A new country run for the people by the people, no wonder America hates it, raw nerve...

18. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Desperate for attention

Does anyone actually care about Assange or Wikileaks? the correct answer is: NO

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like