Feeds

back to article FTC issues new privacy guidelines for mobile firms

Protecting consumers' privacy on their mobile devices is a complicated business, and platform vendors, app developers, and advertising networks all have their part to play, according to new guidelines from the US Federal Trade Commission (FTC). In a report issued on Friday, the FTC observes that the mobile ecosystem has come a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

Reading My Mind

But, theremalso needs to be an app tracker tracker so the consumer can be notified of an ad bomb that fits what was part of DNT. Then, it makes it easier to levy fines against recalcitrant offenders.

Silver badge
Big Brother

"Wanted: a Do Not Track for mobile"

Unless you're the government (any government) of course.

Bronze badge
Coffee/keyboard

Re: "Wanted: a Do Not Track for mobile"

Or the network provider, of course.

Bronze badge

Re: "Wanted: a Do Not Track for mobile"

They already have a DNT for mobiles. It's called "airplane mode" !

But to control "what data gets sent to whom" it would require OS level support and enforcement. (Would you trust every developer of every app to voluntarily implement DNT correctly when it in their vested interest to 'accidentally' get it wrong?)

So far as I can tell, neither major mobile OS vendor has even considered something like DNT - Android because Google has a vested interest in add revenue, and Apple because they have a vested interest the revenue derived from their closed shop/walled garden.

Bronze badge
Stop

What ?

"Today's consumers frequently use a single device ... ordering tickets, tracking their friends with geolocation services, ... "

Stalking your friends is not a hobby of which I'd heard. That tells me a lot about what the FCC was told I as a customer want.

This topic is closed for new posts.