Feeds

back to article Oh, Sony, you big tease: Mystery PlayStation reveal date set

Sony has called on hacks and analysts to come to New York next month for an event focused on the PlayStation - an invite that's left pundits and fans predicting the unveiling of the long-awaited PlayStation 4. Naturally, Sony isn’t saying, confirming only that the electronics giant will be discussing its PlayStation business. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge
Facepalm

I hope to God I still have the option for physical copies that allow offline play

I still have my old spccies, c64 and cpc464, snes and nes etc and i love breaking them out for some old games. in 30 years and i get nostalgiac for some ps4 games i don't want to be stopped with errors because the sony server was decommissioned years before

Anonymous Coward

I would think that in 30 years time the world will be quite different to now. The future isn't looking very good, overpopulation, energy supplies are uncertain etc.

Silver badge
Devil

If everybody is gaming like crazy, overpopulation should be a manageable problem.

Anonymous Coward

Physical Copies

Still very much needed, especially with the size of games that will ship with the new console.

Very few people have access to internet fast enough to download 25+GB without waiting several days for it to complete.

Especially with internet companies selling punters connections with download restrictions and/or traffic shaping.

Silver badge
Happy

Fiar use policy?

Yeah, sure you can download that 20gb game. But half way through we're cutting you down to 56k speeds, why? Fair use, you're abusing the network by downloading too much.

Oh and if you download another game when your speeds jump back up again not only will we throttle you, we'll lock your internet connection and hold it to ransom.

Honestly there are 3 things I'm hoping for

1: Huge hard disk and the ability to install games

2: SSD Cache disk, so when I start to pay things don't spend hours loading

3: Two graphics chips... What? They're aiming for stereoscopic 3d at 60fps AND getting out 4k resolution games. A pair of mid range cards would be both cheaper and superior to the single high end. For this purpose anyway.

One thing I am glad about though, the (rumoured) cpu and graphics chip can be put on the same die. If they're aiming for low cost and high bandwidth connections this would be the best possible option for them. Shove everything onto a single chip, less power waste, better bandwidth, smaller form factor, cheaper production (apparently, not so sure on this myself)

But we'll see when the announcement comes around.

I would laugh so much if the announcement was "We're dropping out of consoles" mostly to hide my tears... *sony fanboy*

Alert

"I still have my old spccies, c64 and cpc464, snes and nes etc and i love breaking them out for some old games. in 30 years and i get nostalgiac for some ps4 games i don't want to be stopped with errors because the sony server was decommissioned years before"

I think the main problem here is that by this time you will have used your Playstation 4 to keep the undead hordes at bay by hitting them with it and are now wearing what remains of it as a sort of improvised armour in the "Apophis" asteroid torn world of 2043.

Silver badge

that and

The nintendo / sega were built to last. As were the older machines. the 360 / ps3 were built to last up until the point the warrenty expired.

Silver badge

In thirty years nothing built by Sony this decade is going to be working anymore anyway, so you don't have anything to worry about. This ain't the Sony we grew up with. This one make high-priced cheap crap built to last until the warranty period is up instead of the high quality get-what-you-pay-for stuff they made back in the 80s and 90s that still runs today.

Bronze badge

Re: that and

You may have a point but my PS3, PS2 and PS are all still running, years beyond their guarantee period.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Wake me up when it's been cracked....

Silver badge
Happy

Shhh

He's sleeping...

Anonymous Coward

Not to mention if like me you are in your late 30s, in 30 years time you'll be knocking on 70. Can't really see myself being a gaming pensioner.

Development of technology is too fast now. TVs had very little development from the 1970s to the early 2000s. Bigger and more reliable, different shape (16:9) and that's about it.

Good luck finding a TV to plug your PS4 into something in 30 years time.

Anonymous Coward

@Valeyard

I guess for Sony it's been ten million years of absolute power. That's what it takes to be really corrupt.

MJI
Silver badge

Re: that and - lead free solder

The biggest device killer of the decade, no flexability as they heat = solder joints breaking

MJI
Silver badge

Oi

50 and still gaming.

As to TVs I can still plug a 1982 VCR into a 2009 TV if I want

Re: Fiar use policy?

There's a greater chance of David Icke admitting he's full of shit than there is of 3d 4k resolution games that even run at 30FPS on the next Playstation or Xbox (Unless the game is as graphically complex as Bit.Trip.runner). The graphics card will at best be about as powerful as a Radeon HD 7850. Nothing to sniff at but not something that will run Skyrim in 3d at 4k resolution at 60FPS.

My New TV still has a coaxial aerial port and several SCART ports, and what it doesn't have a Chinese ebay seller will always be able to provide a converter for. Unless you reckon China and online sales are going away too.

There's plenty of gaming pensioners who only started in their old age, so I can very much see me still being a gamer in 50-70 years, health permitting..

MJI
Silver badge

Re: that and - lead free solder

Can the downvoter explain why lead free solder is better?

Search on lead free solder cracking, also whiskering.

Anonymous Coward

I'm amazed they can afford to do a new model. I imagine that optical disks may disappear this time or at least be optional or for blu-ray playback only.

I can't imagine that anyone would make a games console these days that relies on a person walking to a shop to buy a piece of plastic.

If they offer download distribution they completely ruin the shops that sell these games and the distribution which they rely on to sell the actual console itself.

That and not everyone has the connectivity to download a 25GB game....

g e
Silver badge
Stop

Yet likewise

I can't imagine any right-minded person buying games online-only with the keys to whether or not they're allow to have continued access to said purchased game in someone else's hands. (Add Ultraviolet to that sentiment, also)

People do still pop round to see friends to play multiplayer on games that only one of them has got, too, right?

Being from Africa...

It costs me around 25 of your first world Pounds in data charges to download an average-sized XBox game. Add that onto actually paying for said game, and a piece of plastic from a shop seems like a good idea.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "relies on a person walking to a shop to buy a piece of plastic."

Well, according to sells figures, millions of people still buy physical copies; whether they order it online or walk into a shop is a different matter! Plus many are still have no connect or a slow connection at home.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Being from Africa...

same here, although I have to pay Tsh 10,000 (~5 quids) for a 3 days unlimited mobile connection. So instead I import my games from the UK; I just have to wait for 2-4 weeks for it to arrive -unless it gets lost.

Being from Europe - Slovenia I also import the games from the UK... I save ~15eur with shipping included on new titles I preorder compared to local rip-off prices of 60eur+their own fat margins on top(20eur or more).

Silver badge

It's almost depressing when you think about it.

UK gets ripped off when compared to USA, so we import stuff from there

Eastern Europe / africa get ripped off in comparison to UK so they import from us.

What a strange world we live in.

On the note of downloads, personally I'm in preference of them, but I know they aren't for everyone. I just wish that sony would let the price drop over time. I remember seeing games 3 years old on the PS store for £40 still, while they were only £15 in stores at that point.

Silver badge
Trollface

Yes, down with plastic

No way for evil gamers to dare resell their licensed games, or stores to make money without giving it all to us! Everyone has to buy their own new game, sorry license for as long as we decide to keep the servers up.

Everyone needs an internet connection so we can be sure to sell them lots of DLC by making it impossible to win without buying extras.

Everything will be great.

Anonymous Coward

It's only 25GB because of all the annoying video content that most people skip.

Do you really need to download it all in one chunk? it could actually be downloading it while you play the game.

Honestly, some people need to get with the times. Almost every other market has moved to downloads.

They don't care about high street shops anymore. If they did, they would be supporting pre-owned game trading.

Sony, M$, even nintendo, do not care in the slightest about shops. At the moment it's a collapsing marketplace, since you can be pretty much guaranteed to get your /anything/ cheaper online. Manufacturers know this, and are marketing more and more to internet users, and buyers, and less to bricks and mortar stores. Just look at the near-collapse of Game group - they took over gamestation, competed them against their existing Game stores on the same high street, closed down whichever was making less money, and re branded the survivors as Game.

In the middle of this of course, they skated the edge of bankruptcy and only survived by closing dozens of stores. And the REASON for all this was that companies like EA made sure you could no longer make a profit selling pre-owned copies of their games. All the others followed suit soon thereafter and the pre-owned market died almost overnight. Stores that HAD co-existed quite profitably, suddenly could no longer survive.

If consoles go the same way, and ditch physical copies, this will a: make publishers ECSTATIC, console gamers will be tied into a single platform and a single distribution method, and there can be zero pre-owned market, which publishers always have regarded as some kind of legal piracy. And of course b: Not having to pay the extra premium to a shop for the privilege of paying minimum wage clerks will save consumers cash. Camera retailers have learned this the hard way, only supermarkets stock cameras now, the last real camera shops died with Jessops, and they've been out-competed by online stores for nearly ten years now.

The High Street is dead. All we can do is catch the fire-sales before the last of the doors are locked.

Re: Yet likewise

Game publishers see this as some obscure form of piracy, which they can't quite figure out how to get rid of. But they're working on it...

Silver badge

I can't imagine that anyone would make a games console these days that relies on a person walking to a shop to buy a piece of plastic.

"Relies on" != "has the option of"

This is Sony we're talking about. Their store is allowed to be so horrendously expensive that the games in it are often 20 quid more on launch day than the physical copies in the shop down the road.

Silver badge

Not having to pay the extra premium to a shop for the privilege of paying minimum wage clerks will save consumers cash

Er, no it bloody won't. EA and the like want rid of that overhead, but not so they can charge less for games. Their games aren't any cheaper online, and are often more expensive, because the profit margins rapidly increase in size.

Honestly, with the way most publishers are treating the customer like shit these days, overcharging for release content while simultaneously holding more content back for DLC - even stuff already made and on the disc you bought - along with their many other heinous practices, I think we may be heading for the second video game crash. There's only so far you can push people.

Bring it on.

Anonymous Coward

"store ... allowed to be ... expensive"

"allowed"?

A *SHOP can charge whatever they like for the wares that they sell. No permission is required.

Competition is supposed to have a tempering effect to make prices fair. That's capitalism, see...

Bronze badge

Unless they change their game pad design I'm still not interested.

I hate getting "Playstation Thumb"

This post has been deleted by its author

Anonymous Coward

Re: "change their game pad design"

According to rumors they have indeed changed the game pad design. The rumors state that the new version will have a small screen in the middle!

Bronze badge

"They are changing the controller"

They said that last time. They even went as far as producing prototypes and press images featuring controllers with those elongated handle things on them. The end result was almost exactly the same as the previous 2, though.

I do hope they'll keep the ds3 nice and clean as it is... It's a great controller and have no issues with it even with my large hands.

jai
Silver badge

really? does anyone use the d-pad these days to do more than just select items? if you're using it to walk or drive around, you're doing it wrong, or your playing the wrong games!

Anonymous Coward

Depends on the game

For movement you are right the analogue sticks are much better than the d-pad. For games that might require a quick series of direction changes such as SSX or Fifa to pull off complicated special moves the d-pad wins every time

jai
Silver badge
Coat

Re: Depends on the game

like i say, you're playing the wrong games then :)

(j/k i do love a bit of SSX)

Trollface

Re: Depends on the game

Sonic 2006 or Sonic Generations

Anonymous Coward

D-pad?

Tekken!

who wants to wait for a 25GB one-off download to finish?

Me!

I'll be buggered if I have to rely on Virgin Media to download "4k" content between levels at peak hours. No friggin' way!

JDX
Gold badge

Prediction

It will not be download only.

It will not render at 4k

It will have the grunt to render at 1080p (most Ps3 games don't)

It will have 3D functionality

It might use a special high-capacity blu-ray

In other words it will be a more powerful PS3. Consoles are generally of similar grunt to a mid-level gaming PC at time of launch, at best. So I predict we'll get a console which can push full 1080p HD to the limit, and maybe upscale to 4k, but nothing more.

Re: Prediction

The issue with PS3 games and not doing 1080p is in the publishers being payed off by microsoft to not allow higher than 720p because you know... xbox360 just doesn't do it. Or publishers basically going we want everyone to have the same experience which means lowest common denominator which is the xbox360 again.

I have quite a few titles on the PS3 that do 1080p just fine. Most are sony first party studios some are multi platform.

JDX
Gold badge

It's still a strain on the limited resources - I'm sure some games even render at less than 720p (early titles perhaps).

It's very game specific, but when I worked in the industry it was a big deal to NEVER drop below 50/60 FPS for any reason.

My prediction;

- They will offer a download-only cost-reduced version (if not at launch, at some point in it's lifecycle)

- It will have 4k output with upscaling for Blu-ray

- Sony will offer downloads of 4k films for playback on the device (again, if not at launch then later on)

- Games may only be rendered at 1080p, but this will be more of an all-round entertainment device.

Silver badge
WTF?

The issue with PS3 games and not doing 1080p is in the publishers being payed off by microsoft to not allow higher than 720p because you know... xbox360 just doesn't do it.

Mine does 1080i without issue. Anyway, how do you explain PS3 exclusive titles that still don't do 1080p? Is that Microsoft's fault, too?

eeeesh, fanboys.

Silver badge

In terms of the games released. Most developers create a game based on the first platform of the generation. It's why when teh xbox came out, despite being more powerful than ps2, the games were worse in many cases, they were made for ps2 and then ported over.

This generation the reverse is true, they make games for the 360, and then they're ported over to PS3. The games are aimed at the lowest common denominator.

I will agree that there are some 1st party sony titles that don't make use of 1080, but at the same time the graphics on the PS3 were... sub par, basically a cut down 7800.

Funnily enough, early rumours suggested that once again the card would be equivalent to a cut down 7800, only this time it's an ATI.

Now considering a 7850 can get over 30fps running crysis 2 with res2560x1440, 4x AA, AFx16, Quality UltraHighRes Textures On

I imagine it could fairly easily play most games in 1090p at 60fps (note most, not all) likewise it could probably handle the grunt of a 3d game with relative ease.

At the same time however I also doubt this setup could handle 4k resolutions. Which is why I expect some form of crossfire to be used, Considering the CPU itself as an integrated 7660 onboard, throw in another graphics chip like a 7750, and it could be quite possible to get some games (but not all) running in 4k resolutions (although I'd expect 30fps at best). Or heck, possibly two of these, and use the graphics cores on the CPU to crunch physics calculations.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.