Feeds

back to article Samsung mocks Apple lawsuit in SuperBowl teaser ad

Samsung has released a star-studded teaser video for its ad that will run during this Sunday's SuperBowl "El Plato Supremé", a clip that mocks patent and copyright litigation – and, by extension, its long-running adversary, Apple. In the video, funnymen Bob Odenkirk, Seth Rogen, and Paul Rudd are seen discussing ad ideas for …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

Even if the average fan doesn't get it

The media will,

Likely to create publicity, which is what adverts are supposed to do. They work even better if you can get all the news channels to advertise your advert for you. Saves a bloody fortune if you don't have to pay for all the air time yourselves.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Even if the average fan doesn't get it

In its own way it's also an oblique reference to Apple's own original "Think Different" advert which I think ran at a SuperBowl: everyone recognises who is being attacked. Back then it was IBM and this is a more post-modern: it knows it is all about being in on the in-joke. Good attempt to move Samsung's image upmarket.

Happy

This ad's going to go down a treat. Look at how agitated the AC fanbois are just from the snippet of the ad. Hilarious!

Anonymous Coward

So subtle as to be irrelevant - most people will wonder what they are flogging - Samsung Galaxy so what?

Bronze badge
Headmaster

Re: AC

I guess they don't care. It's just a "get attention" add. Does anyone notice what the iPhone/iPod do that others don't, or do the adds just play nice music and show happy people?

Some adds do show the product, other times it's just about showing something fun to potential customers. Or in this case, getting attention, possibly for the wrong reasons. ;)

Anonymous Coward

Thats just US advertising catching up. Its about brand placement, not selling a specific product.

Some ads in the UK, it can get to the end and you still have no clue what it was about. But the point is it sticks in your mind, along with the brand.

Anonymous Coward

No it's just a badly targeted ad with an obscure jab at a major US company that most people will not even get - would have saved my cash.

Anonymous Coward

Genius - not. Samsung the next big thing - then 'ideas?' - then some supposed joke about trademarks that actually comes across as if they are taking the p*ss out of the super big plate - whatever. You come away from it thinking what was that about before moving on to more interesting thoughts. Big fail.

I would rather have seen an ad by Google for Android.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

silly waste of money though. Do people sit and watch adverts in the breaks? Surely that would be pee time or get more chow time.

Good casting

Everybody loves the Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad, smart move to cast him as the lawyer.

Even if it doesn't connect with people about the Apple lawsuit stuff, all the same it's entertaining.

Anonymous Coward

It's a nice way of dodging the fact that they were found guilty and are being asked to pay $1 billion in damages.

face

palm

Silver badge
Headmaster

Re: face

Does Apple even own the trademark to iPod in China yet? Or iPhone in Mexico yet?

Anonymous Coward

No problem. The justice system is well known for it's sense of humour. The timing is perfect.

Silver badge

hehe. They have to pay something like 40% to iFone in Mexico. Karma!

Anonymous Coward

Pay up Samsung. Perhaps Apple should publish a clock with the 1.05bn plus interest ticking UP and a sign saying CRIME DOESN'T PAY ??

Silver badge
Joke

"palm"

Oh, FFS, don't drag them in to this, too.

How about that AC post a clock with "time to clue" on it, but with no hands (thereby ensuring that it doesn't violate Swiss Railways' trademarks, unlike Apple)?

Bronze badge
Joke

@AC 18:53 : Perhaps it could be a Swiss railway Clock?

The post is required, and must contain letters.

Facepalm

True, but not as embarrassing as Apple being ordered to print apologies for the same lie in the British press.

Then told to again, because they apologised wrong.

Bronze badge

Most importantly

Apple paid up and changed the icon because the Swiss were in the right.

Silver badge

yeah!

and Samsung can get a guy dressed as Lucy Koh in a bulldozer to knock the fucking thing over.

works for me

FAIL

Sore foot, Apple?

Heard of the expression "shooting yourself in the foot"? That's Apple - they sued their ONLY supplier of screens, memory and processors. Samsung have (of course) increased the prices of the components radically....

Apple then contacted LG to see if they could buy screens - "Yes" said LG, but then pointed out that they only bought them in from Samsung, and the price had just gone up radically....

Every "manufacturer" that Apple tried told them the same thing....

Have you noticed that Apple have stopped advertising their (abysmal) IPhone 5 and their (abysmally under specified and grossly overpriced) tablets?

Anonymous Coward

Re: Sore foot, Apple?

I somehow doubt it was their only supplier and as for increasing prices my guess it's contractual based on volume - Apple have dropped the volume so much (buying elsewhere) that they pay more per component.

Apple do not need to advertise them - tablet sales were up 49% compared to last year and they sell every one they can make. iPhone sales are also well up on a year ago.

Not much point spending money advertising a product that advertises itself. Even the people I see with non-Apple tablets refer to them as iPads - I have never heard anything say WOW it's a Galaxy - just don't happen - unless it's the more famous Galaxy made of chocolate.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Sore foot, Apple?

Underspecified - you mean because Samsung have to make it +1 DPI - why not 16.1Gb RAM and 32.1Gb RAM for instance. Then a +0.1" screen... you get the point.

Bronze badge

Re: Most importantly

Changed?

I never saw any change, but they did pay a hefty sum of money.

Silver badge

Misquote?

I believe the quote in the ad was actually "I could never get a Samsung. I'm a creative," which served only to make that character even more risible.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Misquote?

Watch the ad; there's a link. He clearly says "I'm creative," not "I'm a creative."

Anonymous Coward

Reckon it actually alienated a lot of potential customers = shot in foot. Yeah look at all you d*cks queuing to buy a phone when in reality they would love for anyone to want it that much.

Silver badge

Yeah, samsung doesn't make any popular phones! Thats why Apple are trying so hard to cause trouble, because they aren't worried at all.

The S3 did ok, might even be a few folks waiting for an s4, they might even get it home without being robbed. Just because thousands of people don't camp out for weeks waiting for a phone doesn't mean it's crap. Shit you wanna see devotion, try thinking back to the queues outside toys r us for tracey island's!

Bronze badge

At your level, perhaps?

Thumb Up

Good to see Saul survived the end of Breaking Bad (I guess?)

and also, Go Niners! Yes I'm a Brit, from the UK, but I was a huge 49ers fan in the 80's and am very excited about watching the big game on Sunday night.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Good to see Saul survived the end of Breaking Bad (I guess?)

> but I was a huge 49ers

Watch out! They're gonna sue your "ass".

Damn! sorry, Go "Fifty-minus-one-ers" am I allowed to wear my surprisingly small gold jacket?

Anonymous Coward

@Roger B "Good to see Saul survived the end of Breaking Bad (I guess?)"

What arse modded down your comment ?

Silver badge

Um, okay, its amusing, but what are you selling?

You could see some phones there, but no real good shots of them.

Could ultimately be an ad for anything.... which means it ends up being an ad for nothing.

Not true. It's an ad for the brand, which is harder to pull off but more effective in the long term if they succeed (which this looks like it might).

In this specific context, it's challenging the Apple brand, not the iPhone 5GsXPodTouch9 with Retina Display (or whatever).

Not selling anything yet..

Its not an ad for as product its the ad for the ad for the produce.

Anonymous Coward

No-one gives a fig about it being a Samsung. it just happens they make some of the better / cheaper Android phones at the moment but they have nothing unique so that could change when the wind changes.

My money is actually on Motorola or even Nokia - Nokia still shift a huge number of handsets - whack Android on them and they would probably have 20% of the Android market right away. They reason they are not is because there will be little or no profit in Android - apart from Samsung there is little money being made.

Anonymous Coward

No-one gives a fig about it being a Samsung. it just happens they make some of the better / cheaper Android phones at the moment but they have nothing unique so that could change when the wind changes.

which would be the whole point of the ad, to turn samsung into a desirable brand rather than just a producer of cheap android phones.

Happy

Au contraire...

My Samsung Note was anything but cheap when I got it, albeit some time back, but it's functional as all hell and damned good value, all told.

Cheap? Pah.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Au contraire...

"make some of the better / cheaper Android phones"

I read that as that Samsung make some of the best and best cheap Android devices. i.e. that they make a big range (price wise) and they're all pretty good

@ Malcolm Weir

Ok. I'll bite. What's the point of an ad for a brand?

Van

"Samsung Galaxy" "The next big thing" was clear enough for me

Anonymous Coward

Yeah it has such a ring to it when most people I know call their copy-pads iPads etc. Galaxy is over-used - we will see Galaxy toasters and kettles next.

Anonymous Coward

Gonna take more than a super bowl ad to them desirable. Fact is most people would buy Apple but buy Samsung as it's cheaper.

Anonymous Coward

The next BIG THING in... WHAT? Toasters, fridges, how every everything in the GALAXY that's the point we are going to dominate the whole GALAXY muhahahahah.

The only Galaxy I like is chocolate and the one I live in.

Bronze badge

Clue

I think the clue is in the word "brand".

Childcatcher

Re: Au contraire...

Your phone may not have been cheap, but at least it wasn't cheap.

[Score: Language flexibility-1; Chance of worldwide mutual comprehension, ever-0]

This post has been deleted by its author

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.