back to article Chinese web company faked Microsoft patch to force download

China's government has slapped fast-growing Chinese web firm Qihoo with a warning for unfair competition, alleging the firm used its security software to trick users into downloading its browser. The warning(via TechInAsia), handed down last week, has been made public by China’s State Administration for Industry and Commerce ( …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. frank ly

A Qihoo spokesperson said ....

"Microsoft was an inspiration to us. We're late starters but we're catching up quickly."

1. dogged
      Facepalm

Re: A Qihoo spokesperson said ....

Okay. I admit it. I was wrong.

I was expecting Eadon to be the one who blamed this on Microsoft.

1. frank ly
        Happy

Re: A Qihoo spokesperson said ....

Think of it as an inoculation comment, or homeopathy. (I'll try anything to keep him away.)

2. This post has been deleted by its author

2. Anonymous Coward
    Flame

Qihoo 360 is JUST like Microsofts Browser!!

Qihoo's 360 is just a rip off of Internet Explorer anyway; I came head to head with its malware-like properties in 2011 when I diagnosed my (Chinese) wifes PC as being infected.

360 ACTIVELY BLOCKED attempts to remove the infections, re-installing them when I DID manage to get rid of them and refusing to allow its self to be uninstalled.

The only sure way to get rid of 360 is to format the HDD and start from scratch (JUST like many M$ browser products); no wonder my AV and AntiMalware programs list it as Malware !!!!

3. Da Weezil

"The only sure way to get rid of 360 is to format the HDD and start from scratch (JUST like many M$ browser products); no wonder my AV and AntiMalware programs list it as Malware !!"

At least you can get rid of it - unlike that pesky Redmond malware called Internet Explorer!

1. Great Bu

Hey !

Internet explorer is the world's most popular browser* !

*For downloading a better browser.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

It is all too common in China

And I say Qihoo would be one of the best - you can get rid of it.

But there are plenty of others, like Alipay, and virtually all banks: they all insist on installing their own "security" software and plugins. Some come in the form of a driver inserting itself between the keyboard and the kernel, without any removal option. They all add competing plugins into browsers (to the point of breaking some other banks websites).

And of course, without them, you simply cannot do electronic transactions (e-commerce sites in China each have to deal with 20 or more different kinds of incompatible banking systems).

It is a pain. But Chinese users have never known anything else. For them, it is normal. So it will be difficult to eradicate.

5. Prof Denzil Dexter

Stop Press!

Dodgy Chinese company acts just like a dodgy Chinese company.

6. Richard Crossley

I know this

My Fiancée's desktop PC has it. There's tons of crud on it and I'm not sure what is what because it's all in Chinese.

Until now it thought this was a re-skinned version IE.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like