Feeds

back to article Google submits remedy proposals to EU antitrust chief - ICOMP

Google has submitted a new round of proposals to the competition wing of the European Commission, which has fingered the search giant for possible "dominance abuse", according to ICOMP. It would appear that its latest effort to offer a remedy to antitrust concerns laid out last year by Commissioner Joaquin Almunia came at the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

It doesn't matter

The person running the whole shebang is biasd, doesn't matter what google does they still aren't going to be happy with it.

I wouldn't be surprised if google were't aware of this, finished the proposals months ago and just didn't bother to hand them in to be dickish back.

Anonymous Coward

Re: It doesn't matter

From what I understand, Google is trying very hard not to be arrogant in these negotiations. They learnt from Microsoft's mistakes.

The way this game is played is through the age-old method of haggling.

X requires a fine of £100.

Y proposes fine of £10. <-- We're here.

X compromises and only requires £60.

Y compromises and proposes 30.

X and Y agree on £50. <-- Five years from now.

In the meantime X gets to tell everyone how they're sticking it to Y, and Y gets to tell everyone that they're fully engaged with X, and are 100% compliant.

And by tomorrow we'll all have forgotten it anyway, because we luurve the Googols.

Anonymous Coward

They learnt from Microsoft's mistakes.

That's what I thought originally. That only lasted until I read their new Privacy Policy, and their public attitude towards the European approach to Data Protection. Let's hope they have learned there too, because the only reason they are not getting hit with breaches of EU Data Protection laws is because these are held back until they have answered the letter asking them to correct their policy.

I really wish they paid attention, because ignoring the EU laws will only heighten the penalty and it's not like they can use the Nuremberg defence ("I didn't know") because they already have convictions outside the EU..

Anonymous Coward

I would expect them to have submitted in time

I think they are not quite incompetent enough to miss such a deadline. Then again, who knows? Microsoft forgot all about the EU ruling on Internet Explorer, so…

Re: I would expect them to have submitted in time

Google always leave to the last minute, in fact all lawyers tend to leave things to the absolute last minute anyway. Let the opposition sweat.

Megaphone

Same Microsoft shitstirring as got threw out in the US.

Lets see if EU are in Microsoft's pockets....

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Same Microsoft shitstirring as got threw out in the US.

Lets see if EU are in Microsoft's pockets....

Yup. To the tune of about €1.5 billion from memory. That was a heck of a bribe!

Oh hang on...

Happy

Wrong ROC is a great way to learn while negotiating

Customer keeps repeating wrong Required Operational Capability while getting more and better engineered features in a product the customer will buy..eventually. Most engineers think playing the Wrong ROC game is a waste of time, but they aren't sales-engineers. Eventually the EU will be a very well informed customer and Google will sell its Pet ROC.

Wrong ROC is a great way to learn while negotiating

Customer keeps repeating wrong Required Operational Capability while getting more and better engineered features in a product the customer will buy..eventually. Most engineers think playing the Wrong ROC game is a waste of time, but they aren't sales-engineers. Eventually the EU will be a very well informed customer and Google will sell its Pet ROC.

This topic is closed for new posts.