Feeds

back to article Game off: No end to official China console ban

Rumours earlier this week that China was about to overturn a long-standing ban on the sale of gaming consoles appear to have been premature, after the government apparently denied it was planning to lift the ban. A source at the Ministry of Culture had told state-run paper the China Daily that it was “reviewing the policy” and …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
WTF?

"...banning the manufacture and sale gaming gear."

Does Foxconn, Flextronics and pals out-outsource their xbox, ps3, etc contracts? or should it say "..manufacture for domestic sale.."?

Black Helicopters

There is one word

that in general encapsulates china's dict-government - "hypocrites"

Silver badge
Pint

Re: There is one word

"that in general encapsulates china's dict-government - 'hypocrites' "

As opposed to our own shining beacons of moral light...

eh

Made their to sell outside the country, made there to sell there not a chance. Ya gotta wonder how many of those consoles disappear off the production line every week?

Silver badge

why should they cancel the ban when they are already dealing with a pandemic of gaming addicts...

Although I've never understood why the chinese government cares if people kill themselves wasting money on things like games.

WTF?

"they are already dealing with a pandemic of gaming addicts..."

Reference please

FAIL

google it

references everywhere

FAIL

Re: google it

I've seen plenty about South Korea... don't remember seeing anything relating to China

WTF?

Wow

You know, I've lived in China for 11 years and I never realized these were banned. Possibly because I'm not a console fan, but also because any large IT mall here has them for sale. Though now I think on it, not so many as I'd have expected.

Several of my friends bought Wii's about five years ago, when they were all the rage. Easily obtainable.

This topic is closed for new posts.