Feeds

back to article Is your Surface Pro a bit full? Slot in an SD card, it's not from Apple

There's massive internet coverage today of a major "issue" with the forthcoming Microsoft Surface Pro slab, the latest attempt by Redmond to unseat Apple's iPad line from its global tablet throne. It's being widely reported that the Surface Pro arrives with a lot of its onboard storage already full up: but this is a foolish …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Tablet computer has slot for SD card

Is this news?

Re: Tablet computer has slot for SD card

No, that's why there's a big bold Comment

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

@Eadon Re: Tablet computer has slot for SD card - Surface deficiency

If you stretch an analogy too far, you can strain your credibility. Oh, ...wait a minute.

Silver badge

Irrelevance

Surface is a deperate attempt to stay relevant in the consumer mobile computing space.

Surface Pro is a joke.

jeez I can't even believe I bothered to post on this topic. It's over. And MSFT has lost. Come to terms with your grief Windoze fanbois.

Windows

Re: Tablet computer has slot for SD card - Surface deficiency

@Eadon - Buying an SD card. Yeah that's an equivalent pain in the hole to extending your house. Nice analogy.

Silver badge

No, just Lewis trolling the Apple fans.

Oh God, look what he just made me do... Defend Apple fans!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Irrelevance

Problem with Surface Pro is it's trying to compete with el-cheapo laptops and ultra notebooks and everyone I speak to either has no interest in it or has reviewed it and decided against it.

I'd actually say more people are looking at switching to Macs than Surface.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Irrelevance

Actually more people seem to be looking at ways of using Apple iPads than any full sized laptop or Surface computer.

Silver badge
Happy

"Hey, buy a house. It's only got one bedroom and the price is the same as a house with FOUR bedrooms, but hey, you can build an extension!"

I agree,lets you your brilliant analogy, one in fact true to my actual house buying (not all of us live at home with mummy)

You can have your big house (tablet with storage) in a shit area (Andriod); or a smaller house (Tablet with less storage) in a nice area (Windows). You can upgrade your house, but you can't move.

See even your own stupid analogies are full as backward as your thinking.

Silver badge

...looking at ways of using Apple iPads than any full sized laptop or Surface computer.

...as in "So we bought these iPads because the boss thought they were shiny. Now we have to come up with some way to use them to justify the expense."

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Or just delete the recovery partition and get another ~ 10GB of useable space. And be prepared to use a bootable USB key if you ever need it.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

It's not just the iPad -- my Google Nexus 7 also lacks an SD slot. Happily, you can buy a cheap adapter cable which allows an SD card to be attached temporarily to the USB port.

//how else would they be able to get more money for the 32G version?

Bronze badge

"Is this news?"

No, the real news story would be finding the guy that has actually swapped an SD card in one of these devices after inserting it just after purchase. He'll also be the guy who has the spare battery but he's certainly not among my friends and colleagues, and nobody I've asked has met him either.

Re: Windoze fanbois

The number of fanbois a company has is directly proportional to their astroturfing spend. And my god, there's clearly been some spend today.

Bronze badge
Boffin

However, as I said before, my problem with Windows devices of any kind is a different one. As long as I'm being denied off Zune and XBox Live access, I'd happily plonk down money for an Apple device or even an Android tablet on the sole reason that I could actually buy movies and music as well as play online on these. If I get a surface, I'd be stuck playing offline games because XBox Live isn't available in my country, and can't download music and movies because the same issue applies to Zune. The latter isn't a real problem, but the former is a major dealbreaker.

Windows

I was reading this article and i couldn't help but wonder what dire Anti-MS crap could the EadonTroll sprout..

This has to be one of your worst anti-MS posts for a while, they have been steadily declining in any sound reasoning..

Are you a nano-troll BTW? So sort of automated troll that is stuck in some logic loop?

Methinks just a TwatTroll...

You forgot about that Apple you have a fairly big house in where all the 'cool' people you know live, but when you find that you have run out of room and need to expand, you realise that you're not allowed to and your only option is to move to a bigger house.

PS. I would say Android is the house in the nice area.

Silver badge

Well, the area where Android is has plenty of shopping -- including a huge flea market, complete with traders of assorted levels of honesty, some using loud PA systems to hawk their wares. You may or may not think this is nice.

Silver badge

Not everyone can afford to go to Harrods

Tell you what.Microsoft surface,apple,dell,hp,acer and other OEM all suck.Apple sucks for obvious reasons,take a 300$ netbook,slap in the mac os x,and sell it the same price i can use to build my own i7 pc.microsoft surface is a joke and a failed attempt to follow apple.Dell,hp,acer etc uses crappy motherboards,crappy power supplys,cheap ram modules etc.they did it so that it is almost impossible to upgrade.both the psu and motherboard only allows 2 sata connections.if i build on my own (which is the only way to not get scammed),while fanboys are buying mac pros,i can use the same amount of money to get a dual cpu motherboard with xeon e5-2687w and raid 10 some 256gb ssds.and speaking of ram...32gb?yeah can fit into budget.Definitely.

Anonymous Coward

Trying buying Angry Birds for an iPad, in say South Africa (ie anywhere outside US, UK, Europe), guess what you can't..Apple hasn't got around to making the app available there yet. Ditto most music/TV/movies. You need to fake a US credit card as the "local" iTunes stores has pretty much nothing in it.. Lets balance the boring anti-MS stuff shall we?

Our 'shit area' in this house is chock-full of anthologies. Does that help, or have I misunderstood?

FAIL

Yet another paid shill addicle?

Under Gates, at least to some degree, Microsoft cared what its customers wanted.

Now, the equation has changed:

Microsoft doesn't give a crap what its customers want, and hence, Customers have stopped giving a crap about Microsoft.

Its not Market developments unseating Microsoft, its their own awfulness and incessant scheming for tollbooths and other purely self-interest driven actions. The pinnacle of this behaviour was Sinofsky, coming to your desktop as your master, telling you how to do things, rather than the obsequious butler he should be.

Bronze badge

there's clearly been some spend today

I propose a variant of Godwin: when you accuse someone, directly or indirectly, explicitly or implicitly, of being a shill, without presenting solid, independent evidence, you lose the argument. Period.

And, of course, it's a violation of the Register Comment Guidelines, specifically article 7. I, for one, would be most happy to see more-aggressive enforcement of this item by the Reg moderators.

Accusing someone of shilling adds nothing to the discussion. Either the supposed "shills" have valid, interesting points to make, which remain interesting regardless of the source; or they do not, in which case readers are perfectly capable of ignoring them. The only way anyone accumulates ethos in a quasi-anonymous forum like this[1] is through their body of posts; so any reader capable of critical thinking[2] will disregard any hypothetical astroturfed posts unless they contain content that would be equally valid coming from an independent source.

[1] Because even those of us who post under our real names offer no proof of identity. I can tell you I'm the world-famous software-developer-philosopher-bon-vivant Michael Wojcik, but for all you know I'm the former Chicago alderman Michael Wojcik, or the New Jersey high-school principal Michael Wojcik, or a dog.

[2] Too much to ask?

Anonymous Coward

I wonder how you get hired to become an internet shill? If the pay was up to scratch I'd happily waste a companies money making pathetic pointless attempts to big them up on internet forums. :D

Ok, fine so far

but on a 32GB iPad I have more free storage then on a 64GB Surface Pro and with Windows 8 I need much more storage for programs compared to apps on Android or iOS.

This is the full laptop replacement the iPad and the Android slabs never intended to be and Windows 8 plus Office 2013 will use up 64GB in no time. Add all the stuff you expect on a notebook with i3 or i5 CPU and 128GB is not much.

Happy

Re: Ok, fine so far

And on my 32GB Nexus 7 I have even more free space than a 32GB iPad. And it's 3G. And it's half the price of and iPad. And it's a third of the price of a Surface Pro. And it flies like hot shit off a shovel.

</smug>

If I work hard I can see that some people for whom budget is less of an issue can justify an iPad. Surface Pro? Less so.

I still have the first iPad. I might buy the upcoming 8 inch Samsung for it's wacom digitizer. I use sketchbook pro a lot.

Facepalm

still have the ipad one as well, all 16gb of it, and have yet to run out of capacity.

What am I doing wrong? Should I load more pr0n on it?

Question to the thumb downers

what software do you use on a Windows computer?

I have full Office, SQL Server Express and Visual Studio Express on my 128GB SSD Ultrabook.

And yes, I know how to install Software to different locations, move Userhome to another drive and run software from a network share. It's actually what I earn a living with.

But on the road I need it locally, not much fun running Office via VPN from a network share over a shaky EDGE connection ....

Virtual Desktops are a solution for this, but those work fine from Android and iOS, no need for Surface Pro there.

Anonymous Coward

And it's Android so likely to get malware.

For a company the saving in cost between a Nexus 7 and iPad / iPad Mini is insignificant over the lifetime and when you factor in service and TCO.

Bronze badge

@AC speaking of TCO does Nexus even have enterprise management features? (fandroids, have a good read of the Apple website before you jump on this post)

Happy

And it's Android so likely to get malware.

True. In fact it is apparently nearly as easy as an Apple device. Both of them, however. are far less likely than Windows to get hosed in this way. I don't know whether the Surface and other Windows8 devices have any specific viruses or whether they are relying on the excellent collection of existing ones from earlier versions. I am sure experts will see that new ones are out soon anyway.

As to the main theme of this article. I have an 8MB Nexus7 and my "stuff" lives in clouds - mostly Googles. I think they have plenty room for me.

"but on a 32GB iPad I have more free storage then on a 64GB Surface Pro and with Windows 8 I need much more storage for programs compared to apps on Android or iOS."

You've got that the wrong way around. Most files can't be shared between applications on iOS so you if you're working on a compound document or producing something for the web etc then you need one copy of the file per app.

Anonymous Coward

Good for you, your data is safe in Google's cloud. In fact, that email you sent your Gran, saying "Gran, you won't believe how much nasty pron there is out there, be careful"... Google has scanned it and you'll be served up with some nice Granny pron website links next time you check the news. Enjoy.

Anonymous Coward

Can use USB-OTG on the Nexus 7 as well, without rooting.

Bronze badge

But...

Yes, you can - but that isn't as nice as inserting an SD card.

Heck, I'd settle for having to open the case to insert it - yet I still want to get one later this month (hoping I can do a deal with my mobile comms provider)

Anonymous Coward

Re: But...

True, but it's much better than no space increase at all! I can see that being an eventual standard going forward, plug in a SD card reader via USB-OTG, rather than cables and whatnot.

Nexus media importer

As I understand it the Nexus has to be rooted for full import/export & file editing to USB OTG connected storage.

Using Nexus Media Importer App allows access & of course import on the none rooted, but no editing & exporting.

So if still true, it is good as it forces you to keep running of Apps on the internal memory, and data on the removable. However not as tidy or useful as a SD slot.

Silver badge

well, err

I thought just about all tablets except the ipad had this capability? Even cheapy chinapads

Unhappy

Re: well, err

The Nexuses don't have it either now, which is a bit of a shoot-yourself-in-the-balls move from Google.

Silver badge

Re: well, err - Tablets & SDCards

No they don't. Look at the Kindle Fire for example. There are plenty more that don't. I seem to recall even some from Samsung but I might be wrong.

IMHO this is not a killer item.. I don't think I've ever used the SD slot in my Laptop either. My camera uses CF media.

Anonymous Coward

Not at all. Cloud is the future. I THOUGHT i needed a SDCard, but I don't. 16GB on my nexus is more than enough. I have 30GB of music in the cloud, and I just pin/unpin the stuff I want stored locally (which is usually just playlists and a handful of fav albums).

Trying to store everything you digitlaly own (or more likely stole) is real failure, as next year you will need a new phone/sdcard whatever.

Silver badge
Linux

It's funny seeing people trying to defend the cloud trying to fixate on music. It's funny because any other use case tends to quickly fall apart. Not that the music use case is terribly robust either.

You can either pretend that you are living 20 years in the future with networks that actually match the hype of today, or you can actually get to take advantage of what tech has to offer.

Actually getting to do stuff is much more satisfying than bogus smugness about the Cloud.

If anything, wireless network dependence is going to drive tech churn much more than using local storage. You're going to need this week's phone/tablet just to take advantage of the wireless network du jour.

FAIL

Presumably part of the reason Google dropped the SD slot from the Nexus was because of the trouble it caused with apps not wanting to be installed there, things going a bit screwy when someone pulled the SD card out, and that it ultimately just wasn't fast and "neat" enough to need people to manage two different storage areas on a "pick it up and use it" tablet?

If they could design some faster SD cards and get Android to treat the SD card + internal memory as a single, large, seamless and fast storage area (or even move things dynamically between the two, like hybrid SSD + hard drives), then it'd be an awesome idea... although you'd need to glue them in so that people didn't accidentally lose all of their data... in which case you might as well make them smalled by soldering them to the board... and so you might as well benefit from economies of scale by using the same memory as for the internal memory... oh...! :o\

Silver badge

Dealing with removable media isn't a new problem. If android isn't robust enough to deal with an sd card popping out then it needs fixing. And i don't mean by removing the card slot!

"If they could design some faster SD cards and get Android to treat the SD card + internal memory as a single, large, seamless and fast storage area"

I used a script (a2sd i think) in my old android phone that did just this. It let you partition an area of the sd card as an extension of internal memory. it was an option in the rom i installed, 3 terminal commands and a reboot and it was done. It worked flawlessly, as long as you didnt take the sd card out obviously.

Dont really need to use it in my current device as its got a shitload of internal memory anyway.

Ipads lack of expansion storage is ridiculous considering how much it costs, my sub £80 chinatab has sd+usb host/otg slots and it must cost pence to add them. Cloud storage is a shit copout as well, using it over the rubbish mobile network round my way is beyond painful.

Anonymous Coward

Really? Is this just a story for sake of bashing Apple?

Nothing in this story that no didn't know, boring..

Facepalm

El Reg *exists* to bash Apple, climate change... basically anything that will generate traffic. Sad but true, to quote Metallica.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.