back to article Microsoft builds observatory to spy on Earthlings' spectrum

Microsoft has launched its first European Spectrum Observatory, joining research efforts in Redmond, Seattle and Washington to work out which airwaves might be empty enough to exploit better. The observatory is in Microsoft's Cloud and Interoperability Centre and logs radio use across the spectrum. The logs can then be accessed …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

12 guage tin foil hat will be needed.

How do you expect my BRAIN to function in this radio wave soup? It's all part of DARPAs plan to turn us into robots

Silver badge

There's a reason some of those spaces are white.

And a reason I don't want devices sitting in the 1420.40575177 MHz band.

Gold badge
Alien

Microsoft Marketing Spokesdroid: Earthlings! We come in peace, to synergize your strategic objectives in a multi-platform holistic manner, leveraging stakeholder solutions to optimise each KPI.

Earthling: Wow! You almost speak our language.

Microsoft Marketing Spokesdroid: We learned English from your radio broadcasts. Which we have been scanning for years. Share and enjoy!

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Puff Piece

Nurse! He's out of bed again!

Silver badge

Re: Puff Piece

The article said the word "Microsoft" so he was contractually obliged to post some angry pro-linux rant on it.

Disclaimer - I am not suggesting that this contractual obligation was to anyone other than the little pixies who whisper in his ear all the time. Anyone who was actually paying him in something other than shiny wurblecoins might notice how damaging he is to their own cause and quickly stop doing so.

Anyway, some of us still think that accusations of "shill" are uncouth.

Silver badge

Here's an idea...

Why don't we use this space to make posts after the article, to actually discuss the issues raised in said article?

Just a thought.

Silver badge
Boffin

Re: Here's an idea...

@Crisp - the data is pretty interesting to look at. A lot of the bands I don't recognize (it's been a while since I was a proper RF engineer) but I can certainly pick out a couple of "reserved" areas which are - by the data - almost unused.

In situations where those bands "belong" to emergency services, that's a good thing. Some form of database is going to help a lot, not simply with determining which space is "white" but also which space is reserved by whom - the last thing you need is some clever piece of white space broadcasting kit deciding that ATC frequencies near a remote Alaskan airstrip can be hijacked at 3am. Because you're always going to find that time when they really, really can't.

So. I'd like a legend on this data please. Other than that, it seems to be extremely useful.

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon - If it had been Google doing this, would it have been an ad for Google?

Anyway, I'm not sure how you have the energy to keep this up, it certainly tires me out.

Silver badge
Trollface

RE "Nurse! He's out of bed again!" I think she forgot to increase his........

......dried frog pill dosage.

Silver badge
Trollface

Re: "...the article is just an advert for MS, what is there to discuss?"

Your postings are always attacks on MS - "what is there to discuss?".

Silver badge

Re emergency services - exactly. That space is there for a reason, even if it's unused most of the time. I've seen a real emergency response - the vehicles attending the Potters Bar rail crash went past my office window.

It's far more than the usual two or three vehicles at fairly fast speed. If you haven't seen it you wouldn't believe how fast a squad of full size fire engines, interspersed with police cars and followed by a block of ambulances, can zig-zag through a set of traffic lights at a junction.

When that kind of thing is happening you really do not want someone camping on the frequency to moan about their train being delayed by the crash.

Silver badge
Alien

Maybe this is Microsoft's way....

Of making things up to the aliens from "Independence Day", after disasterously putting their whole colonization fleet on Windows 95?

Gold badge
Happy

Re: Maybe this is Microsoft's way....

I thought the aliens were using Macs. Which is why they could be nobbled by one connected to their ship.

Clearly this led them to change tactics, and try to get control of some of our superior computing skills. Unfortunately, they seem to have infiltrated Microsoft...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums