Feeds

back to article Naked intruder cracks one off in Florida rampage drama

Doctors have attempted to determine just what mind-altering substance may have provoked a carnival worker to allegedly jump naked onto a Florida couple's roof, charge into the house, smash a TV, masturbate on the living room floor, defecate on the premises and drink the contents of a wet-dry vacuum cleaner before he finally …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
FAIL

Americans use such self-explanetory language ... once you learn the vocabulary

"battery, occupied burglary and resisting without violence": Assault, breaking in to a home and trying to escape without hitting a cop.

The owner/shooter is typical of US gun owners I know - they have the goods but not the skills.

"Mrs Land whipped out a .38 and fired three shots" implies she was carrying on her person - and a totally useless shot.

And Mr Land grabbed a 12-gauge (bore) shotgun - obviously he didn't care for either his furniture or the perpetrator. Guess people are a little more careful murdering people under the Stand Your Ground law since some people have been incarcerated after claiming that defence following the murder of Trevon.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Meh

Dammit

He broke the 72" TV, a 72" TV for goodnesssake!

Anonymous Coward

Re: Dammit

I'm assuming that was the tech aspect of the article?

Silver badge
Headmaster

That remains to be proven in a court of law, a telly that size would just need someone to open the window on a breezy day and it'd fall over.

Silver badge

Re: Uh, JaitcH (was: Americans use such self-explanetory language ... once you learn the vocabulary)

Missing the guy 3 times meant that she was potentially putting 3 other peoples lifes at risk with stray bullets.

The kid next door, the postman and the local telephone engineer......or even Mr Land....

Anonymous Coward

Re: Uh, JaitcH (was: Americans use such self-explanetory language ... once you learn the vocabulary)

> Sounds to me like Mr. & Mrs. Land know exactly how, and when, to use firearms.

Sounds to me like a baseball bat would have been more effective, less dangerous to the bystanders, and a great deal more satisfying.

Silver badge

@Jake

"They had the nutter subdued, with no deaths & minimal damage."

He started masturbating AFTER the shots were fired. What part of that indicates that he was 'subdued'?

Anonymous Coward

Re: they have the goods but not the skills.

That is why I think the UK should change it s gun laws,

make a gun license like the driving license, you have to pass a test to own one!

then be a bit more relaxed about what they own (of course ensuring they actually own what their licensed for and each gun is registered...) that way the nuts out there would not get their hands on guns, as only sensible people would pass the test in theory!

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Problem is that the average poster to these forums has been so programmed to hate gun-owners they will never admit that the Lands armed up only after the intruder knocked one of them over, "declined" to communicate, and started smashing their home up. Even then, they didn't shoot him, and a shotgun at short range would have put an end to Bruni even if loaded with birdshot, he probably would have bled to death before an ambulance could have arrived even if the shot was not immediately fatal. No, for the average poster here it is all the Lands' fault for not having twenty foot walls around their grounds, steel doors and bars on all their windows.

Bronze badge

> Missing the guy 3 times meant that she was potentially putting 3 other peoples lifes at risk

From the original article:

Bruni then headed toward the couple's son's bedroom, where several guns were stored, so the man's wife fired three warning shots from a .38 revolver.

It appears they were warning shots, fired inside the home so no chance of them exiting through the walls of the house.

Like jake said:

Sounds to me like Mr. & Mrs. Land know exactly how, and when, to use firearms.

Bronze badge
Holmes

so "knocking someone over" warrants an armed response with 2 guns?

at what point in the article was he a threat to anyone? you get more threatening behaviour outside a pub on a friday night, this guy was just tripping. it was offensive and probably incredibly frustrating, but he doesn't sound like he was in a state to hit back if you kicked his legs from under him or chinned him, or that indeed he particularly wanted to hurt anyone.

I'm not one at all to go softly on intruders(being in middlesbrough it's happened to me often enough..) but the cops would've been able to deal with someone so obvious even if he did get away, he wasn't a sober smackhead career-burgular; they tend to try not to spray their DNA over everything

Their eyes must've lit up when they realised they were finally gonna get a chance to point their guns at someone and be the action hero LAY DOWN MOTHERFUCKER. get a grip you're not jack bauer.

sherlock, cos the persence of wank on his shirtsleeves links him with the crime

Anonymous Coward

"As Bruni was allegedly headed to where guns were stored in the son’s bedroom, the wife fired three shots from a .38 revolver, possibly as a warning."

I read this as they thought the perp was heading to their armoury aka son's bedroom (how old is the son and does he play violent video games? The NRA would be proud)

So they already had a .38 and shotgun handy in other parts of the house?

Silver badge
Headmaster

"a little more careful murdering people under the Stand Your Ground law "

Legal note (IANAL): SYG isn't the law that applies here. "Stand Your Ground" laws remove the duty to retreat from a public confrontation before using force if you are acting in defence of life, and are primarily invoked to allow white people to shoot black people - SYG has a habit of being thrown out as a defence when it's a black shooter or a white victim. This case is castle doctrine, which allows the residents of a property to defend themselves against intruders regardless of whether they believe their life is endangered.

@ Anonymouse Coward

Have you been on the roads recently? Tests and licensing in no way prevent idiots from getting access to deadly machines and proceeding to act like feckless morons with them, be those guns or cars.

Coat

"twenty foot walls around their grounds"

Surely that's more of an easy hurdling course? Not really an obstacle as such....

I would have thought that one twenty-foot wall would have been more of a protection

Silver badge

Re: @ Anonymouse Coward

"Tests and licensing in no way prevent idiots from getting access to deadly machines and proceeding to act like feckless morons with them, be those guns or cars."

Or parliaments and treasuries.

Oh, wait. You don't need to be tested for those. Not in any useful sense, anyway.

My mistake.

Anonymous Coward

@Matt Bryant

Can you imagine the cries if this guy was shot! I imagine the entire event would be spun that some poor disturbed individual accidentally entered someones house and they shot him. I imagine the damage, battery and resisting arrest would be left out and a huge description of the lethal weapon + any other firearm they use.

The difference in story can be seen by the 3 shots fired, but no actual information as to why. She could have been an awful shot and a danger to those around her, but thats unlikely. I say unlikely because a gun owner isnt automatically (or even likely) homicidal. Chances are she knew exactly what she was doing and may have stopped him causing further damage/inflicting harm. His sitting to masturbate sounds like the gun was effective and in his nutty state had to occupy himself while subdued. We can clearly show that the gun owners are not nutters because they didnt shoot him even with provocation.

As we saw with the other 2 recent gun topics, there are plenty who would prefer to protect the criminals human rights and think all victims should be super strong with reliable police enforcement (unlikely). Your comment about programmed to hate gun owners is ridiculously spot on.

Silver badge
FAIL

Re: "a little more careful murdering people under the Stand Your Ground law "

"......primarily invoked to allow white people to shoot black people....." Ah, you were doing so well until the mask slipped and that little bit of racism crept in (and yes, reverse racism is still racism). Indeed, the Georgia State study found that the majority of people shot as a result of SYG defenses were white males shot by other white males.

Silver badge

I would hope the warning shots were fired up, the vast majority of American homes are made mostly of wood and there would be a risk of a stray bullet fragment injuring someone. Unpopular as it seems to be to suggest it, but they do seem to have been relatively restrained in their response. 3 warning shots is fair warning. If my kids had been in the house and it was me with the gun and he was running to my kids room there wouldn't have been a need for a 5th shot. However, I'm happy sticking at the baseball bat + angry cat level of home protection for now.

It is easy to assume that all gun owners are nutters, most of the ones I knew growing up were drunk farmers (although they treated guns with respect), but unfortunately there was a definite spin put on this article because it's currently an easy cheap shot. Not all gun owners wander down the high street kitted out like they are hunting Predators. Some people live in places where mental, hopped up carnies break into your house, drink your carpet cleaner and hump your shag pile. I think I'd sleep a little easier with a gun in a safe by my bed if I lived there especially if my kids were in the house.

I would love to live in a country where nobody felt the need to carry, but until the police \ justice system & rehabilitation programmes are resourced appropriately and deliver the results I respect people wanting to protect themselves and their families in their home. There are however the fruitcakes who take it too far but thats another story. Now sure pretty much everyone will jump on the bandwagon and whack the downvote button, and yes guns are crap especially in the wrong hands, but until the underlying problem is fixed I can understand why some people feel the need to protect themselves in that manner.

In over 30 years in the UK I never had a gun pointed at me, in the US it's happened on average once a year (once because I was riding the wrong style of motorcycle?) and I rarely visit states that allow carry. It's a different world over there!

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Rampant Spaniel Re: "a little more careful murdering people under the Stand Your Ground law "

"......once because I was riding the wrong style of motorcycle....." Dude, I did warn you about that pink Vespa....

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

@ Matt

Worse than a pink Vespa, it was a ninja which apparenting made me a '****ing gook' as I dared to ride it in chopper land. Apparently some people take things like that very seriously!

The press does itself no credit trying to spin stories that show things working as they should. Like the recent story about an off duty cop who shot a loony attempting to storm a cinema with a semi auto rifle. The 'right' said the 'left' media tried to supress the story. Shit the 'left' loved that story because it was guns and gun law working. If a cinema full of people started attempting to defend themselves (with varying amounts of training, skill and gun types) in a darkened room you would end up with a lot of dead people. Somebody with extensive training and experience shot a loony, this is how it is supposed to work. Trying to spin it makes you look like mentalists who think you won't get pregnant from being raped. How they dare call it fox, foxes are smarter than them! They should rename it wilted shrub or krill.

Boffin

Re: Americans use such self-explanetory language ... once you learn the vocabulary

Yes, by all means, let's learn the vocabulary.

Assault and battery are legal terms with precise legal definitions (in this country). Assault is fear of harmful touching. Battery is harmful touching.

IOW you can be assaulted without being touched. Once the perp touches you, that's battery. Two different torts.

IANAL but at least I know this much.

Silver badge
Thumb Up

Re: Re: "a little more careful murdering people under the Stand Your Ground law "

"Worse than a pink Vespa, it was a ninja....." Sorry, that is probably worse than the Vespa! Joking aside, that mentality is not the sole preserve of the States. I get plenty of aggression from GTi drivers when I take out my weekend toy for a drive. It's only ended in fisticuffs once, most can be disarmed by a bit of humour, but the geniuses in question decided to have a go on a motorway petrol station forecourt right under what looked like the World's biggest CCTV camera, so I suspect their subsequent incarceration was not a great loss to society.

"......Somebody with extensive training and experience shot a loony, this is how it is supposed to work...." Couldn't agree more, I believe gun-owners should be licensed and be trained as part of the process, that is the one major addition I would make to US gun law. Proper training includes situational assessment before pulling the trigger. What the anti-gun crowd fail to realise is we're not suggesting armed citizens instead of armed police but in addition, as even the chance of armed citizens might disuade the loonies. Adam Lanza went where he knew there were no guns to stop him, he didn't drive down to the local shooting range or the local police station for his spree.

Anyhooooo, happy trails on the Winja. <= sorry, UK biking scene humour! ;)

Silver badge
WTF?

Re: Americans use such self-explanetory language ... once you learn the vocabulary

"'Mrs Land whipped out a .38 and fired three shots' implies she was carrying on her person - and a totally useless shot."

Just because her first instinct wasn't to murder the intoxicated person who wasn't directly threatening her, it doesn't make her a bad shot. Likewise her husband's LACK of use of a firearm is commendable.

I don't really see what the problem is with NOT killing people in response to trespass and being insane.

Silver badge
FAIL

"the average poster to these forums"

Matt;

How about you don't decide what is going on in everyone else's head and start speaking for them? Stick to your own opinions instead of posting idiot ones and pretending that they're actually other people's.

Silver badge

"Sounds to me like Mr. & Mrs. Land know exactly how, and when, to use firearms."

Yes...but possibly not where to keep them!

"...the couple's son's bedroom, where several guns were stored..."

[Although we don't know if that was where the gun-safe was kept and they were secured to be fair. They might have been locked up, but if they weren't, it's a pretty dumb place to keep firearms.]

Silver badge
Stop

Re: @Matt Bryant

"Your comment about programmed to hate gun owners is ridiculously spot on."

No it's not. It's a rallying call of gun-owners to build a 'Us vs. Them' style mentality and camaraderie.

The idea that all non firearm toting citizens want to hate gun-owners and take away all their toys is simple propaganda, propagated by the more extreme members of the lobby who want to heighten the sense of persecution in order to create unity and dissuade more moderate gun-owners to not compromise.

Exactly the same tactic was used in the US elections when the more extreme elements of the Right painted Obama voters as all being work-shy criminals and people 'who hate us' who wanted to take everyone's livelihood away, thus creating a political community cemented not by shared policies but by hatred and mistrust of the opposing viewpoint.

The more extreme end of the political/gun-owning spectrum needs to invoke hatred of the other side of the debate in order to influence moderates.

Bronze badge

> Yes...but possibly not where to keep them!

You don't know how old the son is, he might not even live there since parents, in general, will often call a room their "sons room" for many years after they have left. There is also no mention of the son in any of the reports and any reporter worth their salt would happily juice up the story if there was even the remote possibility a minor could have been harmed (what if you son had been home etc).

Anonymous Coward

@Psyx

Damned if you do, damned if you dont. Shoot the guy and your a homicidal nutter (we had this discussion recently when I called you hulk for making the same assumption), dont shoot him and your a bad shot. These people were capable and ready to protect their home and instead of an escalating damage and potential harm this was resolved clearly due to the home owner being armed. And not 1 person was killed.

This is a situation of good judgement and prepared occupants. However look down the comments for those complaining a shotgun was retrieved by the male occupant or the danger the female must have introduced by shooting and missing (ignoring the facts of the situation).

I would say one of your statements is wrong. The husband's lack of use of a firearm is not accurate. He used it. As he should. He had no cause to pull the trigger so he didnt. He had cause to draw and aim which he did.

Lives may be taken by the gun but lives are certainly saved by the gun.

Silver badge

@ Matt, no worries :-) if it has 2 wheels you can make it fun ! The winja was only a rental, it was that or a gs and I still have some self respect. You can even get your knee (but not albow :-() down on a vespa. Next bike is probably a triumph explorer but the new daytona r has my eye. Roads are too bad here for the daytona though. The kwakas are alright, just a bit more unpredictable in handling over say a honda (which can be good or bad). I really miss the Lake district for fun rides though.

Coat

'I think I'd sleep a little easier with a gun in a safe by my bed...'

"Psst! There's someone in the house!"

"I'll get my gun from the safe.... right 24, left 15, right 32... oh wait errr... what was it again?"

Did he break it or did Mrs Land shoot it and then knock it over?

Anonymous Coward

> fired inside the home so no chance of them exiting through the walls of the house.

You clearly have NO idea of the penetrating power of a .38 bullet, especially given the wood & insulation board construction of many US houses.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Re: @Psyx

He was clearly under no direct threat to his life, so there was no need to threaten the life of someone who was (temporarily) ill.

Anonymous Coward

"......primarily invoked to allow white people to shoot black people....."

you didnt read it did you, just opened your mouth without puttingbrain in gear

Silver badge

GTA IV

Weasel News, the news that's *right* for you.

Silver badge

Re: "a little more careful murdering people under the Stand Your Ground law

@Juan

Fingerprint \ biometric bedside gun safes open very quickly, you would likely have the gun in your hands before you wiped the sleep out of your eyes :-)

If you want to take shots at gun owners you do need to understand the situation and also realise not everybody who has a weapon thinks they're the love child of Chuck Norris and Rambo. There are a whole shitload of nutters with guns, but theres also a lot of normal, responsible people who keep a gun secured for home protection, sport or work (pest control \ livestock etc). Not everyone who owns an Audi is a tit, I'm sure there are normal Audi owners who know how to use an indicator and don't tailgate you at 120mph. Not everyone who owns a gun or supports the rights of others to do so is a loon :-)

Theres no way in hell I would sleep with an unsecured weapon in the house. Thats how kids get shot. Way too many people have weapons that aren't secured because this is the united states of I don't have to be responsible for my own actions. It would seem (the reports I read were all vague) that is how the gunman got his mothers weapons when he shot the kids Sandy hook recently.

Silver badge

Re: in the US it's happened on average once a year

You must hang out with the wrong kind of people. Lived here over 40 years, occasionally driven through the wrong part of town (realized it when I saw the Lexan on the gas station attendant's booth) and never had a gun pointed at me in anger. Once or twice on shooting range until we'd properly trained an over-anxious noob, but even then it was an accidental bad movement of the gun, not a raised and pointed at me situation.

Silver badge

Given that it's Florida (aka Retirement land for the USA) I'm betting "their son's bedroom" means the guest room that they keep for when their 30-40 year old son (and possibly his wife) come to visit and is otherwise unused. Or perhaps like my friend's parents who live in Florida, it is the room in which their 50 year old son who is divorced and a recovering alcoholic lives. It's the sort of media misdirect I've come to expect since they continue to report 18-21 year old criminals as 'kids.'

Silver badge
Holmes

"You don't know how old the son is, he might not even live there...."

Hence the caveat.

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Psyx Re: @Matt Bryant

"....No it's not. It's a rallying call of gun-owners to build a 'Us vs. Them' style mentality and camaraderie....." Sorry, but you're waaaaaaay too late to hang that one on the gun-owners. After all, when someone continues on a course with complete disregard for all evidence to the contrary of their stated beliefs, you call that either hypocrisy, faith or opportunism, if you're being generous. US gun-owners only have to look at the example of the UK, where handguns were banned on a wave of drummed up hype and deliberately ill-informed prejudice, to see that trusting in common sense breaking out in the anti-gun lobby is not likely. That it has become embedded in US party politics guarantees that sense and facts are the last consideration.

In every case in the UK where the authorities have tried to look at the actual causes of gun-crime they are shouted down with the mantra that removing privately-owned weapons MUST reduce gun-crime. No-one will contemplate re-legalising private handgun ownership even though the ban didn't reduce gun-crime. For example, when the UK police forces tried to explain the facts of gun-crime in London - largely black-on-black criminal shootings tied to drug gang turf disputes - they were accused of being racist. Targeted actions like Operation Trident have been politically handicapped and kept under the PC microscope because actually identifying the main cause of gun-crime in London - black gang culture - was too politically sensitive for most. For the PC-afflicted it was easier to avoid the issue and insist that banning handguns from law-abiding citizens was somehow a better answer than saying to certain ethnic groups "there is a problem in your community's young men we need to address." Shootings like Hungerford (1987) and Dunblane (1997), which were exceptionally rare failures in the license process and the supervision of mentally-unstable people in the community, were seized on as an excuse to ban legally-owned handguns and other firearms.

When confronted with that type of unreasoning, non-evidence-based, almost religious belief, are you surprised gun-owners get defensive? In the UK, if you should suggest to gun clubs they should ask for the re-legalisation of handgun ownership they react with horror. Not because they disagree, but because they worry that if they do draw attention to themselves then the anti-gun lobby will be back for another attempt to destroy their sport by banning all firearms.

Anonymous Coward

@Psyx 12:23

You seem deluded. "It's a rallying call of gun-owners to build a 'Us vs. Them' style mentality and camaraderie." is your mentality showing through. The gun owners call for protection of family and home. Self defence. Protection of the weak. If this is beyond you then so be it but you told Matt not to speak for others are thinking and yet you are just as big headed. You then turn camaraderie into a bad thing? I assume you apply this to all sports and other group related activities?

"The idea that all non firearm toting citizens want to hate gun-owners and take away all their toys is simple propaganda" is funny when you again speak for the minds of others. The loudest voices who oppose guns are rabid nuts and the general opposition in the UK is to absolute propaganda against the gun. People should be allowed to own or not own as they please within the law. The law should not be disarming victims so criminals can take over.

I think you need to understand that there are extremes on both sides. However it is the anti gun group (not only the nuts) who will begin the name calling swiftly or accuse the law abiding gun owner of being some child hating nutter. And its often those uninformed or ignorant anti gun nuts who assume all gun owners are as nuts as the few on the fringe.

At 12:16 you say its a dumb idea to leave the guns in their sons room. I again point out your bias of dumb assumption. While its a bad idea if the son is a young kid, I dont see his age anywhere. I point out that when I lived with my parents the guns were in my room and nobody elses. I was over 18 and a legally abiding, sensible gun owner.

But dont let facts get in your way, you were saying...

Happy

Re: @Jake

Some people find it hot - chicks with firearms :http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yryV-5TfwvE

Maybe the missus was a looker :P

Silver badge
Thumb Down

Re: @The First Dave

If someone is that deranged - temporarily or otherwise, you have absolutely no idea whether or not there is a direct threat to your life or that of your wife.

And you don't risk your wife's life - or even your own - to fulfil some ultra-liberal touch-feely agenda. You can't value your wife greatly, if you do!

Silver badge
Stop

"Damned if you do, damned if you dont. Shoot the guy and your a homicidal nutter (we had this discussion recently when I called you hulk for making the same assumption), dont shoot him and your a bad shot."

Ummm... if you read my post, I did not call the wife a bad shot, but instead commended them NOT shooting the guy.

"These people were capable and ready to protect their home and instead of an escalating damage and potential harm this was resolved clearly due to the home owner being armed. And not 1 person was killed."

I agree.... to a point. However, you cannot logically go from "They didn't shoot him" to "This was resolved due to the home owner being armed". That's faulty logic and completely incorrect.

This could equally have been resolved by the home-owners walking out of their back door and waiting with neighbours until the police arrived. There was no way that a firearm made this particular situation either 'better' or 'worse'. Hell: The guy wasn't armed. If they *really* wanted to confront him, then they didn't even need a lethal weapon to do so. Putting this event's happy result in the hands of gun-ownership would be deceitful propaganda that fails to even bother looking at the wider picture.

The firearm did *not* resolve this problem.

"Lives may be taken by the gun but lives are certainly saved by the gun."

Well yes. But on aggregate they are taken by them a hell of a lot more often. Which is precisely the issue.

Silver badge

To be fair, a .38 is about the most sensible hand-gun calibre you can use if you want to avoid over-penetration, and we don't know the ammunition type loaded, either.

Silver badge
Stop

"He was clearly under no direct threat to his life, so there was no need to threaten the life of someone who was (temporarily) ill."

I actually agree with you, as the guy wasn't apparently any direct physical threat to others. I'm commending the fact that they didn't blow the guy away with the lethal weapons they had, rather than the fact that they had them in the first place.

I'd have simply called the police and walked out of the back door. I don't see the point of confronting someone in that situation, because someone on either side of the equation might just end up dead. What's the point in that?

FAIL

"...the couple's son's bedroom, where several guns were stored..."

Therein lies the problem. How many bloody guns does a person need???

Personally there should be an IQ test for gun ownership in America. That would eliminate most owners of them straight away.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.