Feeds

back to article Shiny, shiny! The window's behind me...

For reasons too mundane to express, the location at which I have been currently working comprises two adjacent but separate open-plan areas conjoined by a small office occupied by the departmental boss. The easiest and quickest way to get from one open-plan area to the other is to pass through the little office. In fact, it’s a …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Incorrect apple bash

Apple DO offer the choice on certain models.

Yes, only some models but a choice exists.

Re: Incorrect apple bash

Correct or not, they deserve it.

Anonymous Coward

Sadly not on the iPhone, but it offered an extra incentive to buy the sub £20 battery case from Maplins: it comes with a matt foil. What's more, it also rejects fingerprints *really* well. I heard the standard screens were supposed to reject this but mine seems not have received that memo and thus led to slightly OCD "rubbing on pants" behaviour and excessive ear washing in the shower :)

Thus, I now have a phone that is not shiny, looks clean and has a battery life that exceeds a single game of Angry Birds (a new measure of battery capacity)..

Joke

Would that be the Hobbesian choice per chance?

Idy
Facepalm

"Forget Apple: they don’t do choice, so you’re wasting your time there"

I can confirm, that I specifically paid the extra to get the higher-res, and MATTE screen. Apple bash ahoy!

A friend has the glossy screen, and it does make some colours look much better, but I just prefer matte :)

Silver badge
Headmaster

Would that be the Hobbesian choice per chance?

No. but it might be Hobson's choice. "Hobbesian" sounds very philosophical, but the allusion is to a Cambridge stable owner called Hobson who would only allow customers to hire the horse that was next in line.

Or am I missing a joke of exquisite subtlety?

Silver badge
Headmaster

And on a related note, I'd like to point out to Alistair that it is "knob-end", not "nobend". Don't you journalists have a spell checker, or an underpaid and overworked editor?

Silver badge
Coat

Actually, that was a reference to inflexibility.

Silver badge

1. Restrict choice

2. Offer option as a cost extra

3. Profit!

Anonymous Coward

How about Jobs' choice. Any computer you like as along as it is shiny and expensive.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge
Joke

"Shiny, shiny! The window's behind me..."

Bad choice of article title - mention the word "Windows" (even with punctuation), and you're bound to get Eadon come along with a troll post...

Silver badge
Meh

Re: "Shiny, shiny! The window's behind me..."

Yes with Eadon around it's like having your own Forum Court Jester.

Except we got lumbered with a not very funny one.

Big Brother

"because you, reading this, are in the matte camp. ..."

"... I can’t be bothered to explain how I know this, I just do"

Yes, I am reading this on a matte screen. Now I am worried.

BB icon, pretty obviously.

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

Re: "because you, reading this, are in the matte camp. ..."

From which we further deduce that the camera cunningly placed above the screen is not obscured with blutak/gaffer tape (delete as appropriate)...

Silver badge
Boffin

It's because people with shiny screens are too busy chatting as they can't even look at their screen because of the reflection produced by some florescent light somewhere in the other corner of the office. People with matte screens have to get out of work some other way, so they're reading this.

Anonymous Coward

I know where you live, Glen Waverley...

:)

Holmes

He is right. I am on a matte screen and always have preferred matte, even down to my photographs.

Silver badge

Touch

Given that apparently we all want touchscreens (at least according to some people's crystal balls), it's going to become a bit irrelevant anyway as a matte or glossy screen tend to look the same when covered in greasy fingerprints and streak-marks...

Silver badge

Re: Touch

Oddly enough, the greasy finger marks don't show up so clearly on a matte screen.

Coat

Re: Touch

"(at least according to some people's crystal balls)"

Interesting - I disagree, but mine are brass.

Bronze badge
Go

Got both - dont care which is supposed to be best.

My theory is that shiny screens look better when switched OFF, or when showing a blank screen with the M$ logo screen saver running.

I own both types and dont really have a preference - but then I am one of the few people who still like watching a CRT TV - again I also own a decent LCD, but even though the CRT is not "Hi Def", I still think the picture is better, so the CRT has pride of place in the living room, and the LCD hangs on the wall in the bedroom for the wife to watch.

PS I own glasses with an anti reflective coating - isnt this basically the same as a matte screen???

PPS, Over 40 and not humming shiny happy people - still humming Dumb Ways to Die :-0

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Got both - dont care which is supposed to be best.

Shiny look best when in optimal viewing conditions, but the range for optimal conditions is slighter.

Silver badge

Personally, I'm not too fussed by a shiny screen, but specs without an anti-reflective coating do get on my nerves, especially at this time of the year when the sun is low in the sky.

I think that matte screens have a matte texture, but anti-reflective optics have several layers of films with different refractive indexes- as a side effect you see coloured reflections from an angle.

You could place tracing paper over a picture and see it clearly, but your could place tracing paper on your windscreen and expect to see where you're going.

Happy

@Ian Emery "PPS, Over 40 and not humming shiny happy people - still humming Dumb Ways to Die :-0"

Venus in Furs...

My (Tosh) laptop used to have a matte screen, until the wire broke off one of the flourescent tubes & I failed to repair it. The replacement, much to my chagrin, is shiny. It shows up fingerprints much more, quite apart from the greater reflectivity. I wonder what the incremental cost of putting antireflection coatings on sceens would be.

As for matte 'blurring' detail, my view is that, because the matteness is close to the emitting surface, then it doesn't really affect the sharpness, especially as the roughness scale is probably smaller than the size of the pixels.

FAIL

Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather...

I'm over 40 and currently humming The Velvet Underground's Venus in Furs....

But you were right about the matte screen.

Thumb Up

Re: Shiny, shiny, shiny boots of leather...

Yeah, me too. One for two; not Derren Brown material, but pretty cool...

Happy

I was definitely humming "Shiny Happy People"

Under 40, and Venus in furs is today's earworm thanks to this article.

Still - better than yesterday when it was bloody Rock you like a hurricane... I don't even LIKE Scorpions.

Oh good.. now it's some weird mashup of the two.

Gimp

Another one here humming Venus in furs.

I guess we've have rather darker sensibilities than would permit hazy fantaizi to appear at all relevant.

Bronze badge

Yup... definitely in that camp myself

♫ ... whiplash girl-child in the dark ... ♬

Go

Absolutely Venus in Furs - humming all the way through until I saw the video and realised it wasn't TVU.

Didn't even recall the nonsense at the bottom after listening to the first 20 seconds (all I could stand). I am heading towards the top of the 40's but even so, the only other "Shiny" track I could recall was "Shiny Happy People" - REM.

Currently the "Best of Velvet Underground" is in rotation on my (non fruity) MP3 player... 8GB or random, but tonight on the commute I'll dial up TVU for some nostalgia.

Anonymous Coward

I have a theory

I am firmly in the matte camp and have a theory why the people on the shiny side are all faffing about. People are always happy to be interrupted from something boring, i.e. their TPS report, if someone walks past the movement will cause them to look and see who it is walking past....bang! Eye contact, 15 minutes later they've talked as much shit as possible and the person goes back to their TPS report. Lather, rinse, repeat.

Good luck with adjusting your screen angle, when you're actually seeing your own face's reflection in the gloss.

Flame

@lanzz

Its even worse when you've got the wrong glasses on and you see a reflection of your glasses reflecting the monitor in front of you... all with a ghostly reflection of your own eye ball apparently floating in mid air! Gahhh!

Bronze badge

you're actually seeing your own face's reflection in the gloss

Well if you must use your laptop sitting at a dressing table or during a make-up session...

Alert

Hang on...

Did Dabbsie just reference Haysi Fantayzee???

Re: Hang on...

should really read RIGHT to the end before commenting.

Oh, and Alistair- you're a bastard. I've got that song stuck in my head now.

But on the other hand he did also reference the Decemberists, which is a plus for a Friday.

Bronze badge

I wonder how many consecutive columns I can write in 2013 with music lyrics in the headline before I give up.

Go

I wonder how many consecutive columns you can write in 2013 with music lyrics in the headline before we start referring to you as El Reg's answer to Chris Packham and you top yourself.

Spectacles

You probably do have an anti-reflection coating on the lenses of your specs. It's a requirement on most lens types, except the lowest refractive index type.

Bronze badge
Coat

Re: Spectacles

Ed and OS further up are right -- this argument was sorted long ago in the eyeglass world. Pretty much everyone except wicked Queen decided that reflections were Bad and put technology to work to get rid of them. Voila! Anti-reflection coatings are pretty much standard, since they work (without making it harder to see clearly!) and thus enable Luxottica to continue its juggernaut march to rule the world.

My glasses are in the pocket -- don't sit on them!

Bronze badge
Boffin

Re: Spectacles

"To my possibly muddled brain, glass surfaces that have been fuzzed with acid or an anti-glare coating are harder to see through. I wouldn’t have this done to the windows in my house, the windscreen in my car nor the spectacles sitting on my nose. Doing so would make everything on the other side harder to see."

Camera lenses have anti-reflection coatings to maximise light transmission - otherwise a 4% loss on each air-glass surface, which is quite a few surfaces on a zoom (or a wider angle prime come to that). Glossy prints viewed in reflected light, so spectral reflections increase contrast by allowing you to angle the bright spots out of your field of view.

PS: I have devices with both types and can't decide which is best.

Rooms with no lights

The only condition where glossy looks best is a room with no light at all - neither natural nor artificial. Given that most offices won't offer such a space, for office use at least matte is best. Glossy might make sense for TVs as you can close the curtains and turn the lights off to watch the box, though I'm not sure the advantage over matte is that great.

Silver badge

Re: Rooms with no lights

I find most things look worse in a room with no light at all. Or do I mean better? It's hard to tell because I can't see a damn thing.

Silver badge

Re: Rooms with no lights

I suspect that my wife thinks I look better in a room with no light at all. Does that count?

Silver badge

Everyone off the bus!

I want all the shiny people over here, and all the matte people over there, ok!

I represent mean angry pizza-eating coding people, alright!

As long as there are no dead pixels, we can get on with writing software!

Happy

Re: Everyone off the bus!

"With apologies to Dennis Leary".

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.