back to article VMware ponies up $30m for Puppet Labs partnership

VMware injected a little money into systems management software upstart Puppet Labs in its third round of funding back in November 2011. But now the server virtualization juggernaut has its hands firmly up the backside of Puppet Labs as it has become one of the bigger investors in the company after doing the fourth round of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Bronze badge
Meh

Re: VMWare vs MS

@Eadon: What...the...fuck... does that have to do with the article?

About the article, is Puppet really making enough money? I understand investors are always welcomed, but were they struggling? Basically, did Puppet go to VMWare, or did VMWare go to Puppet. Makes sense for VMWare to help "partners" especially when they compete against common foes, but for Puppet to go to VMWare...what exactly is Puppet selling that VMWare wants?

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Re: VMWare vs MS

It's not really a battle though when Microsofts product is already nearly as good, but is 100% free.

Gold badge

"What exactly is Puppet selling that VMWare wants"

Maybe I can help here, as I recall having conversations with both VMware and Puppet Labs about how both of them should get quite buddy buddy, so the chances are at least some of my arguments hold.

Puppet provides the ability to provision heterogenous environments. VMware is aware of a growing sense of paranoia amongst datacenter operators about getting locked into a single-vendor situation with regards to hypervisors + management tools, much as many fell victim to Microsoft. It is quite frankly something that VMware hears directly from partners and large customers, and is the number one reason for Hyper-V uptake in enterprise datacenters. Diversity equals bargaining power, and Puppet provides some of the best tools for ensuring that diversity.

More to the point, Puppet is focused on Openstack/Cloudstack, with passable (but limited) Microsoft anything support. VMware is quite okay competing with these open source alternatives, as VMware – despite the gnashing of teeth every time I use the term – is quite perfectly aware that the hypervisor has become commoditised. VMware believes strongly that their value proposition is their management tools, and third party ecosystem/integration. They believe they can compete against "free" by creating something easier to use, more convenient and better at automation. I believe they are 10% correct in this assessment.

Puppet is exploding. Like Spiceworks, it has a rapidly expanding community and uptake doesn't look set to stop. If VMware can get Puppet to be a great tool for Openstack, Cloudstack and VMware, with Microsoft's support lagging behind, then individuals and organisations seeking heterogenous support through Puppet will be turning to the open source alternatives and not Microsoft. VMware can have a voice in the development of these opensource projects. Microsoft is a true threat, if it starts seeing real adoption.

Beyond this, lots of companies still run physical equipment. VMware is big on the idea of managing things as a "single pane of glass." Puppet already manages devices that VMware doesn't have the ability to manage. The two companies combined could give you control over your entire datacenter; storage, networking, virtualisation stack, operating systems, applications, hybrid-cloud migration, cloud services provisioning, inventory and asset tracking and more.

Combined, Puppet and VMware would be very – very – close to being able to take on Microsoft's entire System Center suite of products. In fact, I'd argue that they need a good discovery package, mobile device management suite, a backup suite and an anti-malware suite and they're done. They could pip Microsoft by adding a simulation tool.

Now, interestingly, I have been working with a group of companies over the past six months that may well be able to come together to provide this. Consider Spiceworks; they offer network discovery and (very soon) mobile device management. Unitrends is a contender for the top enterprise-class backup startup and CloudPhysics is a simulation company with strong VMware ties that I personally believe will completely change the way we collectively approach network design, provisioning and even root cause analysis of errors. Toss Zenoss in there for a great monitoring package, and I'd buy that stack over Microsoft any day.

I've been busting my ass for 6 months to get as many of these folks in the same room as possible. (In fact, I'm in San Francisco next week as part of said mission.) I can't tell you how happy I am that VMware and Puppet managed to get all cozy; deep VMware integration has been something I've wanted out of Puppet for ages.

I abhor Microsoft's byzantine – and frankly batshit insane – licensing. I'm also tired of Microsoft's "just wait until the next service pack" bullshit on getting fixes (or what I would consider mandatory features) integrated into their products…only to have that "service pack" become yet another product that I have to license one more time at the cost of $way_too_much.

If we can get a third-party alliance set up of third-party vendors, then we might finally, mercifully see a price and innovation war occur in the enterprise management space. Something that hasn’t' really happened yet. Symantec can see it coming. That's part of why they want to divest themselves of Altiris. They know damned well they can't go toe-to-toe with Microsoft, VMware and Dell in an all out fight for dominance.

As to why VMware is choosing Puppet over Chef, I can answer that for you too. Chef is a very "script-heavy" offering. It is really a developers tool for controlling equipment and environments. Puppet can use scripts…but that's not remotely its focus. Puppet is about creating known-good states, and then enforcing the state. You set up a "state" for an operating system or system, and puppet handles whatever needs to be handled to ensure that state is set, or it screams at you that it can't.

Chef relies on the script writer to know his stuff, do a lot of testing and then deploy live. It is very much an extension of the traditional, plodding, "fortress IT" style practice of systems administration that marked the Unix era.

The entire ethos of Puppet – define a state and enforce it – fits very neatly into VMware's vision of the software defined, dynamic datacenter. Puppet is about trusting the tool to abstract the details of administration away. VMware is about automating your datacenter such that a smaller number of sysadmins can accomplish more. Fast, dynamic, every changing.

Chef works well in a world where you only need to make changes to your software or deployed applications once or twice a year. Puppet – and VMware – envision a world where change is a part of daily life; as natural as breathing.

So what does Puppet offer VMware? Rather a lot I'd say.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "What exactly is Puppet selling that VMWare wants"

That's a big If.

At the moment, Microsoft's eco system is far more useable with a much lower barrier of entry and TCO than Puppet + VMWare.

For those that havnt looked at it lately, the current suite is:

System Center 2012 App Controller (provides a common self-service experience across private, hosted, and public clouds that can help you empower application owners to easily build, configure, deploy, and manage new services.)

System Center 2012 Configuration Manager (provides comprehensive configuration management for the platform that can help you empower users with the devices and applications they need to be productive while maintaining corporate compliance and control.)

System Center 2012 Data Protection Manager (provides unified data protection for servers and clients that can help you deliver scalable, manageable, and cost-effective protection and restore scenarios from disk, tape, and Windows Azure.)

System Center 2012 Operations Manager (provides deep application diagnostics and infrastructure monitoring that can help you ensure the predictable performance and availability of vital applications and offers a comprehensive view of your datacenter, private cloud, and public clouds.)

System Center 2012 Orchestrator (provides orchestration, integration, and automation of IT processes through the creation of runbooks that can help you to define and standardize best practices and improve operational efficiency.)

System Center 2012 Service Manager (provides flexible self-service experiences and standardized datacenter processes that can help you integrate people, workflows, and knowledge across enterprise infrastructure and applications.)

System Center 2012 Virtual Machine Manager provides virtual machine management and services deployment with support for multi-hypervisor environments that can help you deliver a flexible and cost effective private cloud environment.

Gold badge

Re: "What exactly is Puppet selling that VMWare wants"

Or you could just read the rather comprehensive review I wrote about System Center 2012. And I dispute your TCO claims in their entirety.

Puppet Labs

I trust Dr Bunsen Honeydew is in charge...

tpm
(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Puppet Labs

You Win!

Nice one....

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums