back to article Nokia lets Lumia 820 owners 3D print their own case

Nokia has posted the templates 3D printer users need to make their own shell or case for its Lumia 820 smartphone. The mobe is already designed to swap some of its plastic parts, with the rear plate available as inert plastic or one of Nokia's inductive charging gadgets. Three different batches of files are offered to DIY mobe- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Bronze badge

makes sense

There is no point in setting up a factory like for accessories when I know that both of them are happy without a fancy cover.

Silver badge
Meh

I suppose

I suppose it is an attempt to make the phone a more desirable proposition, though you might be better off selling them with a years free supply of petrol.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

JDX
Gold badge

Re: makes sense

Good to see Adam's sense of humour is firing on both brain cells with that original joke.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I suppose

@I was enjoying the veering off into right wing conspiracies more, Eadon.

No-one gives a flying kack about open software in mobile, excepting a very small amount of hardcore geeks. Even our most strident FOSS advocates at work, who all own Android and swear by it, don't care at all about the fact that it's open.

Some people like the UI, some don't. One of my neighbour's kids the other day (she's 13) turned her nose up at it, said she'd heard it was really hard to use, then found games and started playing pretty much instantly.

Also: Who wants to be the sort of saddo that is defined by the OS of their phone. It's a phone.

Silver badge
Paris Hilton

@ Eadon - No. You have rejected Windows Phone and you insist on applying your viewpoint to everybody. The fact that you insult anyone who has a Windows Phone ("who wants to be a saddo that has windows on his phone?") is proof of this.

The fact is that Windows Phone (not Windows Mobile) is just over two years old. Two years after its unveiling, Android had only approximately a 3% market share - and this is with a practically empty playing field (since Apple operate by their own rules), as opposed to facing a well-established, popular competitor.

This article is about a neat little idea that a handset manufacturer has had for their devices, and the manufacturer/device combination happens to support Windows Phone, so you felt compelled to rant about your views on Windows Phone and how it is inferior to said well-established competitor that you favour.

That, sir, is the behaviour of a shill.

Anonymous Coward

So after effectively a November launch you conclude that WP8 has failed?

Anonymous Coward

Exactly right, open source is only an advantage two a few parties. The experienced software hackers who roll their own ROMs (again, you need a lot of experience of embedded development to do that).

It is good for the OEMs who can experiment with it before committing to build phones.

But for the consumer? it's not something they would really think about. If you ask the less technically minded people they would probably say something like "if it is free then it can't be any good".

If you saw a free magazine on a table and another that cost £2, you would conclude that the freebie would be rubbish and full of adverts. Pretty much what Android is, except while you aren't seeing adverts your data is being collected and sold to advertisers and anyone else who coughs up the cash.

If you aren't paying to use something then you are the product.

Silver badge

Eadon, this is thread about 3D printing... why the hell are you putting out your tired views about OSs here? It is the wrong thread, and the wrong website since everyone here has enough experience of their own not to be swayed by your simplistic rhetoric. You are getting very tedious. Instead of writing as many posts, consider writing better quality ones.

3D printing... oh yeah, Linux .... it's hardly the platform of choice for 3D modelling, is it? Sod off.

Anonymous Coward

and secondly who wants to be a saddo that has windows on his phone?

------------------------

The bigger question is who wants to be a saddo telling people on a forum that they've got linux in their pocket?

Alert

"you might be better off selling them with a years free supply of petrol"

And there was me thinking that nokias ran on diesel.

FAIL

"Even our most strident FOSS advocates at work, who all own Android and swear by it, don't care at all about the fact that it's open"

contradict much ?????????????

Anyways WP sucks balls..........thats all I have to say.

Silver badge
Windows

Re: Nokia - another Microsoft victim

No, there are enough fandroid phones out there..

Windows phone 8 is fresh, different and actually quite nice to use. It is however, missing some basic functionality, such as iplayer (adobe wont support flash on mobile devices according to nokia), customizeable UI and a few other bits. It has a decent (but not amazing) set of apps.

I took a punt on it and i'm not dissapointed i just want MS to do the right thing and not give up on it.

Silver badge
FAIL

Except for weirdos and people who work in tech, nobody buys an Android phone. They just buy a phone that can do what they want and fits their budget.

Just as they buy "a computer" with the same criteria. Now, on the desktop, Windows rules because OEMs bundle it and to change it, you either have to pay retarded money for a Mac or you have to install your own OS. Aside from the two previous categories mentioned, consumers are not generally willing to do this which is why linux is on less than 4% of desktop PCs worldwide.

WP arrives installed, is aggressively priced and can do what most people need, including "just work" with all their other stuff. The criteria for it eventually taking sizable market share are all in place. And no, people don't "hate Metro". You hate Metro because you hate everything from Microsoft before you even consider or try it.

If market share is the one true measurement of success, both desktop linux and OSX are such utter, utter failures that anyone who uses them must be a shill or get them as gifts on free hardware.

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon - By your logic Red Hat should just give up and become a Windows reseller.

Do try to think your arguments through before vomiting them onto your keyboard.

A monoculture is bad on desktop, servers or mobile devices, there is room in each market for a competitor, I would say that each market actually needs a competitor. Where is the incentive for Google to innovate in Android, if they don't have any competition?

Anonymous Coward

Why would Nokia go for Android when:

1. Elop is ex-Microsoft, so has good connections with the company.

2. Going for Android puts them head to head with Samsung who are too dominant in the Android market.

3. There would be no USP. Nokia would be an "also-ran" with the other 50 or so people making Android phones. With WP they are one of a smaller number of players and Samsung's share in the Windows Phone market is small.

Anonymous Coward

Nokia has 70% of the Windows Phone market. How are they failing to compete?

Can't you comprehend the fact that some people want something different?

You aren't correct and neither am I. People want different things and there's no way in hell I would let someone choose what I want for me.

Anonymous Coward

Google wouldn't be able to compete. They would have no ideas to steal and no competitors to shaft with childish changes like switching off Active Sync.

Google without Apple and Microsoft would be like Microsoft was before Apple's OSX and the iPod appeared. It took Microsoft ages to produce a follow up to XP and even then it was a failure. Windows 7 of course was much better.

Megaphone

WP doesn't work with all their other stuff thou, THAT'S the problem.

They have Windows apps and Android apps, and Windows Phone doesn't work with either of those....

It's a 1 horse race now (with iOS as a also ran), the world is Android, and Microsoft and Nokia aren't part of it (or perhaps Nokia ARE part of it, with their Plan B for when they have no other option but to adopt Android).

Silver badge

I'm not debating with you Eadon. You have no valid input re anything MS other than the fact you dont like it and that, because of your disdain, anyone whom does like MS (me) is wrong and misguided...

Its a PHONE first and foremost and it fits that description adequatly well tvmi.....

Silver badge
Stop

WP sells a lot more than Meego ever did.

Go away, Eadon.

Trollface

@Eadon- you are wrong, and here is the reason:

When 75% and counting of the market have switched to Windows, then you really need to be an Windows player. It's better to have 10% of a 75%+ share than to have 50% of 0.2% share. (All Linux Distros combined).

No matter how good your Linux desktop, if the Market prefers kit running Windows you are doomed.

Secondly!

There are also too many "linux distros" too because several companies and groups are making them, so even with a tiny market share, companies like Ubuntu are facing stiff competition.

-----------------------------------

Cuts both ways Eadon :)

Anonymous Coward

@Philomena - Three posts all anti WP.

Nice, I believe there is a word for people like you, one which Eadon is fond of, but I hesitate to use.

Silver badge
Boffin

Claims are nothing without evidence.

As I said earlier - Windows Phone (emphasis on "Phone" not "Mobile") is only two years old. Windows Phone 8, a matter of months.

At two years after unveil, Android had approx 3% of the market. A market that has since grown explosively due to the uptake of Android phones, so of course by comparison, the WP market share is going to be a lot smaller.

To state that "the market has spoken" by comparing an effectively fledgling product trying to gain a hold in an already well-established market with a competitor that has been around for three times longer and had an effectively empty playing field to start with is stupid beyond belief - this is not "the market speaking", this is the market not having choice. If you had your way, WP would fail, ergo choice would fail, which makes you no better than Microsoft on the desktop.

Unless you can prove that the number of units sold by Android to gain their 3% share of an all-but empty market in their first two years (2007-2009) greatly exceeds those of Windows Phone in a much bigger market in its first two years (late 2010 to now) then your argument is null and void.

Unit sales for Android and WinPhone for each of their first two years, and links to where you got them, please...

Silver badge
FAIL

Eadon, do you suffer from some kind of learning disability?

"WinPho 7 was based on WinCE" - yes, it was. So are NatWest bank machines. That does not mean that the two are interoperable and only somebody who thought "computer = computer = computer" would assume so. You keep telling us how "technical" you are. Unless you mean "technically retarded", the only way you can make a statement like this is called "deliberately trolling".

"WinPho 8 uses the Windows kernel" - so did NT for MIPS. Are you suggesting these two are interoperable?

If not, either you're raising a classically dim straw man argument or you're just a troll. A real failure of a troll who has managed to make himself look less "technical" than the bloke in the yellow safety tabard picking up litter on a spike.

I wouldn't trust you with a spike. You'd imagine your own foot was Steve Ballmer and then attack it.

Unhappy

Cue another tiresome Eadon flood

As the subject line states...

Silver badge
Boffin

@Eadon - could you buy a Windows Phone 7 on the high street before October 2012?

I'll give you a hint - the answer is not "yes".

Once again, you clutch at straws in an attempt to justify an irrelevant argument. We are not talking about the success of an underlying kernel - Linux too has been around for many years, and I certainly don't hear any argument from you about LiMo, webOS, Bada or any of the other Linux-based mobile operating systems and how successful they are.

We are talking about the unit sales of Windows Phone handsets from launch to now, versus the sale of Android handsets from 2007 to 2009.

Stop trying to change the goalposts and go find the unit figures.

Silver badge

> WP sells a lot more than Meego ever did.

Actually when the N9 with Meego was available it outsold WP7 phones even though it was only available in a restricted number of countries and was not advertised.

http://www.osnews.com/story/25569/

While WP does now sell more than Meego that is entirely because they are no longer being made, not because they are not in demand.

"Nokia has 70% of the Windows Phone market. How are they failing to compete?"

WHAT !!!!!!!!!!

70% of 2.6% = 1.82% market share

Get the f**k outta here..............you serious man ????

Bada has kicked WP to the kerb.

BYOP? PYOD more like

'nuf said.

Anonymous Coward

Pointless Bling

Still can't hide a shit phone OS.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: Pointless Bling

Good job it's not shit then.

Windows

"Good job it's not shit then."

Well, it looks like it, and it stinks like it. I for sure won't taste it to see if it is shit or not - it was bad enough having been given a WP7 phone and finding out it really is shit - but if you tasted it, well, it was your choice...

Silver badge
Windows

Yes because i bet you have weeks of experience using it so can provide valid and substantiated reasons for your dislike, or are you one of Eadons lapdogs???

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon "But my opinion is irrelevant"

Hang on to that thought, please, really hang on to it.

Mushroom

Interesting Pre-cept

Sounds like Nokia are trying to play the long game.

Android got into the market by appealing nerd/geek/[insert other stereotype] segment of the market. Some of this segment will be software engineers, which gets them interested in the App side.

So they sneakily had a dev base, before the system went mainstream, this is where WinPho 7/8 falls down. Windows Phone has been in the market for ages, and it's predecessors were absolute garbage. 7 and 8 are an improvement, but they missed the boat.

The only thing that may save them is that Apple appears to have lost it's direction.

The fundamental weakness in this concept is that the steam has run out on the 3D printing fad, simply because the stuff you get out of the affordable home machines is so crap and the amount of effort required to get these machines working correctly, far outweighs the benefits.

There will be resurgence when the off the shelf tech gets to an affordable price point, but to me this is a cliche headline marketing bumpf. Rather than a solution to a non-existent problem.

Silver badge

Re: Interesting Pre-cept

>There will be resurgence when the off the shelf tech gets to an affordable price point, but to me this is a cliche headline marketing bumpf.

Agreed, when the Nokia rep put out the idea, he suggested the user making "a waterproof, glow in the dark case with a bottle opener". No.

The home user is often better off with some epoxy for making little things that. Kydex is a handy formable sheet material- well suited for making dashboard cradles for phones etc. Loving Sikaflex at the moment- a very strong adhesive and sealant, remains permanently flexible after curing.

I'm still assuming that no more people will own a 3D printer than currently own that hobbyist's favourite, a Dremel hand drill. I can currently see more practical uses for a desktop laser cutter for thin materials than a 3D printer in the home- larger functional objects, stencils, jigs... and yes, bottle openers.

Silver badge
Pirate

Now that's real innovation.

Might be pointless, might not, but decent disruptive innovation. Well played, Nokia.

GJC

Anonymous Coward

Re: Now that's real innovation.

I fail to see what's disruptive or innovative about this announcement. For a start, do you have any idea how much it would cost in terms of machinery and materials to produce a decent quality casing (i.e. to the same standard as the original) via a 3D printer? To give you a hint, it'll be several orders of magnitude higher than buying a moulded, third party case, via eBay.

No, this is merely a cynical marketing ploy whereby Nokia hope to drum up sales of their phone through the use of some carefully chosen buzzwords in a press release.

Silver badge

>To give you a hint, it'll be several orders of magnitude higher than buying a moulded, third party case, via eBay.

That's very true, if thousands of other people buy the same case. Which they probably will- I can't imagine someone having case requirements that are so off-the-wall that they are thy only person who have them.

Now, is some someone going to print a prototype case with a chorded-keyboard built in or what?

Silver badge

>Now, is some someone going to print a prototype case with a chorded-keyboard built in or what?

Just found someone has done just that and implemented it. His blog is here:

http://srimech.blogspot.co.uk/2012/02/chorded-keyboard-for-mobile-phones.html

He wouldn't need the external battery if he owned an Android phone with USB OTG support...

Silver badge
Boffin

@AC

Just because you can't see how it is innovation, doesn't mean it isn't.

It's something no other company has done. Whether anyone picks it up and does something useful with it we will see over time, but meantime, we should applaud any company that does something unusual and new, however small.

If you don't understand that, perhaps you should just stick to Apple products :-)

GJC

WTF?

I'm sure the handfull of real Windows Phone users are delighted

They can buy a £400 3D printer to print a £2 case...

Is this how bad it's got? Microsoft trying to create "cool factor" with their failed products? It's Kinect all over again....

Silver badge
Stop

Re: I'm sure the handfull of real Windows Phone users are delighted

a) Nokia, not Microsoft.

b) Shut up Barry.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums