Feeds

back to article iPhone hangs on in US, Japan, but EVERYONE ELSE bought an Android

A day before Apple's quarterly results land, Tim Cook will also have to deal with the some unwelcome stats on iOS smartphone market share, showing that the iPhone still trails Android in all markets but the US and Japan. The US remains Apple's global heartland, and Christmas sales stats from consumer group Kantar World Panel saw …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Meh

Then maybe it's time to innovate and spruce up the iphone interface.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Why not? Everyone loves Office 2007, Windows 8, GNOME 3, KDE 4, etc.

Anonymous Coward

Wouldn't take much to spruce it up

All it need is a few active icons, I mean how hard would it be for Apple to have a live weather icon?

I have four foot of snow outside, it is -3 and my weather icon tells me it is a happy happy sunny 23C day!

Re: Wouldn't take much to spruce it up

Try the Celsius app from ITWC...

Yes, I know it's not a proper widget, more's the pity!

Silver badge
Joke

Re: Wouldn't take much to spruce it up

it's prolly using apple maps to work out your location and it probably _is_ 23C where your phone thinks it is.

Silver badge
Trollface

"Then maybe it's time to innovate and spruce up the iphone interface."

The problem is, it's harder for them to copy other people's ideas and claim they invented them now. Technically it's no more difficult than before, but it's harder for them to get away with it because the whole process has now gained such a high profile because of their legal shenanigans, so it's more obvious to all and sundry.

Anonymous Coward

Must surely be game over for Windows Phone

if the only people buying it is broke Italians....

Anonymous Coward

Re: Must surely be game over for Windows Phone

Bear in mind it was pretty damned hard to get a Nokia 920 SIM free which many people wanted. EE has an exclusive and their deals are very poor and expensive and the most attractive deal (which I am on) was withdrawn shortly after launch.

This limited the performance somewhat.

But obviously the performance is poor for a big company like Microsoft, but how can they compete against the idiotic fandroid masses? they'd buy anything with Android written on it.

Facepalm

Oh please...

"idiotic fandroid masses" - is that really the best you can do? Started out as a fairly interesting post, too.

I'd give you decent odds that a good chunk of the Android userbase don't even know what OS is on their phone. They got the one that they liked, or that had the best salesman, or the best [insert important-to-them-feature here].

Those that did actively choose Android, including me, got it because it works for them. I like to be able to install what I want, from wherever I want, on my little portable computer. I also prefer a UI that doesn't look like a hyperactive toddler's bathroom wall, but that's purely personal preference. As for "buy anything with Android written on it" - I can only assume you're having a laugh. There are only a few handsets available at the moment that would suit me, happily the Nexus 4 came along at just the right time.

What I don't like about the current world of smartphones is that if you don't want to be in a walled garden, Android is your only realistic option. I like Android, but I'd like another option or two as well.

What I'd really prefer is a handset running an up to date Maemo as it's stock OS. Maybe one day...

Silver badge

The Reg only gives the data for Italy, UK and US, plus percentage share is a poor way of measuring in a growing market. It will be curious to see the actual figures for worldwide, and if there is growth on last year's - remember that for years, iphone lingered with much lower sales than many other platforms, only becoming mainstream (yet still way outsold by Android) with the 4 or 4S. I don't recall people saying that Apple should give up, because instead people were focusing on whether it was growing.

(I like Android personally, but I don't get the WP hate, when iphone got a free pass on the same things.)

Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh please...

Same here, I'd quite happily jump ship from Android to Harmattan, N9 or better ..... I suppose if there were more apps arriving, that would be good too ;)

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Not to mention that there were only about 3 weeks of actual Lumia 920 sales seeing as Orange were mostly out of stock until well into December. Sales are still climbing too:

http://wmpoweruser.com/nokia-lumia-920-tops-amazon-best-seller-chart-for-all-carriers-takes-top-3-spots-on-att/

HTC are seeing similar strong sales: http://www.mobiletoday.co.uk/News/23754/WP8_off_to_strong_start_as_HTC_ups_production.aspx

Anonymous Coward

Yeh, because limited stock MUST mean everyone is buying it...

Honestly, I thought the human race had evolved since the Nintendo Wii launch stunts, but clearly not....

Have you been drinking the Brawndo ?

(Originally posted under the wrong article!)

After trying a WinPho8 again today I figured out why I don't like it

Trying to be fair I've had several tries on a WinPho 8 to evaluate it - and today I've worked out why I feel - umm.. - errr... - don't like it.

It's simple really - you don't seem to have multiple screens like you have on iOS and Android. All apps are on the front screen with the idea being that your most common ones are near the top. Then you swipe to the right and can see a full app list.

But I like to set up my screens for specific tasks - for example - nothing which costs money if accidentally touched on the main (middle) screen - so only tools like calculator, torch, camera etc as well as widgets for clock and calendar which I want to see straight away. Next screen is for messaging stuff; texts, twitter, mail, skype as well as a row for settings; mobile, wifi, hotspot etc.

So, MS seem to have decided how your phone should be used - whereas iOS and Android allow you to set up the phone for your own needs. And my guess is that there are as many setups as there are users!

Also, I think users like to personalise their phones - and large Android widgets are a nice and easy way to do that.

Bronze badge

Re: It will be curious to see the actual figures for worldwide

But not curious enough to follow the link to the article this was based on?

And is that 72.5% in China the full Android experience, feeding precious data back to Mountain View, or are forked versions included, restricted by what data the Great Firewall allows out?

Silver badge

Actually, I'm looking forward to reaction to that little problem. The folk that genuinely believe Google is evil should be happy the Chinese are cutting them out.

The fun is with the folk faking it in support of 'another companies product'. They're still frantically trying to work up a response. It's bad for Google but those are still Android devices and Googles loss is not their sponsoring companies gain. What's a poor shill to do.

Silver badge

re: The folk that genuinely believe Google is evil

There's a difference between seeing mountain view for the profit driven privacy invaders that they obviously are, and thinking they are evil. They're not evil, just greedy.

But I am glad there are versions of Android around that don't talk to mountain view. Maybe I'll be able to switch on my phone's GPS without it sharing "anonymous" data with them....

Stop

Here we go.....

Obviously! is busy at the moment (the snow has slowed his paper round), so here's a post on his behalf:

iPhones are crap

the OS is sooooooo last decade

people who buy them are Fannybois

Is all this iShiny good enough for you ladies?

... and tomorrow we will get the REAL numbers

nt.

Silver badge

Re: ... and tomorrow we will get the REAL numbers

Well, maybe. These numbers certainly sound like a load of fuck to me. ComScore relies on UA detection in browsers to identify markets and routinely comes up with a load of poo as a result. Apple will announce fantastic results - and however many gadgets they sold the results will be fantastic because of those very fat margins - but the full story will probably take a while to come through.

Anonymous Coward

It's all meaningless as the only numbers that matter are:

A: Number of physical handsets sold by company and by type

B: How many pay apps are purchased per handset

c: How many Ad Supported apps are downloaded per handset and what is the average ad return

From A - what is the average profit minus all costs for the handsets sold

For B what is the profit split developer/application store

For C much the same as B

Anonymous Coward

If I had an edit function I'd edit and add

For B and C you want to know "Number of apps per handset by model" also the interoperability of the various top selling models.

jai
Silver badge

UK stats

Some more detail that Anna left out, presumably to allow her to spin this story in her own way:

Samsung has held onto the number one spot in Britain, claiming 35% of smartphone sales, although Apple is now biting at its heels with 32%

So that's Samsung and Apple taking up 67% of the UK market.

Just over 6% belongs to Nokia, so that's a remaining 27% that's split up amongst all the other Android manufacturers.

Bronze badge

Re: UK stats

Samsung also make phones with different OSes, so the 35% there isn't only Android.

FAIL

“Apple’s continual improvement is thanks to both the iPhone 5 and older models attracting various customer groups," said Parlato, "from repeat Apple buyers, first time smartphone buyers and those coming from other smartphone brands”.

... so pretty much every group that bought a smartphone then?

Silver badge

Re: figures sound dodgy to me

Those UK winphone sales are believable. During those 3 months HUKD was posting new deals on Lumia WP7.5 devices every 3-4 days. They didn't hit remaindered prices but for the not too fussy bargain hunters on HUKD the price was right. I think I even saw a couple of admittedly poor offers on Lumia WP8 devices as well.

They had a sale, 2 months before Xmas. A large spike in sales is believable. That it will continue is not believable ;)

Silver badge

Re: How many times have we heard that Surface was selling really well

I haven't heard that once. Did you read that on here? Any links you want to share? The impression I got was that both surface and WinPho8 were struggling for sales despite a massive advertising spend.

Anonymous Coward

All those reports were SHIPMENTS, not SALES.

It's Kinect all over again. Microsoft stuffed the retail chain with millions of them, and then claimed amazing demand, which in turn brought the fanboys out to buy. However the channel stuffing came back to bite them, as in the following year, they only sold 50k units..... (nobody wanted to report that story for some reason, only the BS Guinness world record FUD).

Anonymous Coward

HUKD shoppers are far too smart to be lured into a Windows Phone firesale. They all know how bad it is. Microsoft/Nokia target audience are old biddies that have never owned a smartphone and never read a review of how rubbish they are.

If Apple dropped their price by at least £200 for the iPhone 5 then they will get a bigger market share.

At the moment the prices on Apple's site are: 16GB : £529.00, 32GB : £599.00, 64GB : £699.00

Bronze badge
Meh

Re: Apple reducing their price - burberry error

@Eadon: You are one trendy dude, seems you bought what Apple isn't selling. You're very similar to Apple.

Apple is expensive because....it's Apple. They deem themselves as "high end". Consumers like yourself, see that and take on the "high end" identity to be your own. Most of us don't see Apple that way, we see it the same way as always, a little over priced. People have forgotten Apple was still the expensive alternative when you could of bought their shares with aluminum cans in the 90's.

Apple does need a cheaper model, but just because it is cheaper than it's flagship model, doesn't mean it can't be the most expensive out of it's comparable models.

There's already loads of chavs using iKit - that ship sailed about two years ago. And, from the article - "Older, cheaper iPhones were an important part of iOS sales, says analyst Mary-Ann Parlato". Hardly a prestige brand these days, and the results can be seen in slipping market share.

Silver badge
FAIL

hate to burst your bubble dude.

iAnything screams chav.

soz

i mean im sure you own _your_ council house...

Silver badge

More like Adidas - people think it gives them prestige, but no one else does. (And last time I looked, more people bought Windows x86, more people bought Android even at the high end - does sales imply thinking it has prestige?) People from all walks of life buy iphones - it's not the rich that I see with them, rather the people who see them as a fashion accessary. Although I do agree that lowering prices wouldn't gain them market share - there's also the point that lower prices mean lower tech.

I think it's a bit too early to talk about failures for MS, especially if you're talking profits rather than sales. Did they actually make a loss? It took years for iphone sales to get anywhere (yet oddly the media spun those figures as a runaway success).

Are Samsung tablets a "failure" too because they don't see as much, and are also priced in the high end?

Anonymous Coward

I was trying real hard to persuade a friend not to buy his, in the period just before the bubble popped ;)

If the price is right

I got Android on a Sony P mobe at half the price of the equivalent Apple. For this I get apps that are good (but not generally so good as Apple apps), a better camera, a terrific screen and super sound quality with decent ear buds.

As a long term Apple user, it was a brave step over to Android but well worth the effort.

Silver badge
FAIL

@Eadon - please tell us who owns the Omega brand?

Burberry did not reduce their prices to cause damage to their brand.

It was actually a flood of Burberry fakes which were widely taken up after Daniella Westbrook adopted the brand and it being a terrace staple of the well shod fooligans for awhile.

This post has been deleted by its author

Should anyone point out that comparing Apple and Android as brands is comparing Oranges and and, err, Apples?

Samsung, who are a player in the high-end so-called "Prestige" market has handsets that run Android. But the advertising is "Buy an Android Phone! (made by Samsung)", but "Buy a Samsung Galaxy S III / Note 2".

Anonymous Coward

Possible corporate skew ?

We use Windows Mobile devices as policy, and have had to switch to Nokias, since HTC went native

Anonymous Coward

Maybe

Just maybe

Apple are hanging on to #1 place in the US because the Fanbois realised they can vote more than once?

Silver badge

Re: Maybe

It wasn't a vote, it's sales figures. The iPhone hasn't hung onto first place, it's reclaimed it. The driver of that appears to be the decision to keep the two previous generations around as cheaper models, from free on a contract.

Silver badge

Re: Maybe

The figures I've seen over the years showed a very small window, years ago, when iphone was number one in the US. So I don't know if these stats are just misleading, or it means this has been a reclaim after years of Android being number one.

If so, it's a bit sad, and odd that things are becoming so polarised, with the rest of the world dominated by Android. I guess that's going back to how it used to be, with the rest of the world using smartphones, and the US stuck with dumb phones (the only reason the original iphone was incorrectly seen as revolutionary by the media, because the US market hadn't see the phones that were way more advanced years earlier).

And I think it is a problem, because the media and companies in the UK seem to follow on from the behaviour in the US - so even though here we're all buying Android, with Samsung leading, we still have the media going on about iphone all the time, with companies often catering only for iphone users. It's even getting worse - it seems every other advert these days has a "get this for your iphone" on it :(

Although don't forget that the quarter after a new iphone release is always Apple's best quarter by far, and sales then slide over the rest of the year.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.