Gateways were the most reliable
Would have happily kept buying Gateway 2000 machines and had a P75 running from approx 1995 until 2012 when it eventually died and wasn't worth trying to fix. Even had the original hard drive in it although the original monitor failed several years before.
Now had to deal with 5 ACER laptops and 1 desktop in the past 3 years and every single one of them has had major faults. Never had an ACER without a fault or known anyone who has one that not faulty.
- Mouse & trackpad mysteriously fail unless you take the power lead out (x2)
- Overheating problems on one with no obvious cause (fan running, no muck).
- Almost all of them developed problems with the power connector.
- Wi-Fi would go down on 3 of them while on power, but instantly work on battery.
- Desktop suddenly refused to work with the monitor, but worked with another...then switched.
- Desktop then just died and it was only a year old.
Other computers and laptop makes, basically few problems that aren't the run of the mill and all fixable. Btw, acer's make good frizbies! :)