Feeds

back to article This week's BBC MELTDOWN: Savile puppet haunts kids' TV

The BBC has apologised for airing an episode of kiddies show The Tweenies featuring a puppet "impersonating Jimmy Savile". Outraged parents choked on their cornflakes on Sunday morning as the offending programme, filmed back in 2001, exposed wide-eyed nippers to "Max" - a character "in a blonde wig, wearing Savile's trademark …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Flame

Is "group of people get offended" still news?

If only there were any money in getting offended Britain would be fucking minted.

boo fucking hoo

Whining crap unsurprisingly pushed by those who are out to get the BBC anyway.

What a load of bollocks.

Anonymous Coward

Re: boo fucking hoo

Give them a settlement figure of one penny. Written as a cheque on a fetid horse carcass in marker pen.

Express delivery for Mr Knobend!, excuse me Sir, what did you say your name was again, sure I got the right address ..... just sign here!

Silver badge
Meh

It might make sense if the Tweenies weren't infinitely more creepy than a Jimmy Savile impression all by themselves.

Happy

Sorry, we are fresh out of fetid horse. They are currently being processed and used for other purposes.

Got some nice fresh roadkill you could use instead - how about a slightly battered dead badger?

Silver badge
Meh

Is "group of people get offended" still news?

You forgot " at slightest upset".

But you think it's bad here, you should try the States - entire "special interest groups" designed to generate the outrage on a scale the Daily Mail can only dream of. If you think OFCOM are bad (and they're largely toothless), you should see the awesome might of the FCC.

I get offended by people getting offended by this...

Its not as if it was with malicious intent.

The program was from 2001 (IIRC) and was passed at the time as suitable for children. Is someone going to have to sit down and review every minute of every repeat to make sure that no one has been offended by a change in what is acceptable from a few years ago?

And the target audience won't even know who Jimmy Savile was, never mind be offended.

Gold badge
Happy

Got some nice fresh roadkill you could use instead - how about a slightly battered dead badger?

Yummy! Badger tempura sounds delicious. Dip it in a nice sweet chilli sauce. I also recommend hedgehog pancakes...

Bronze badge
Joke

BBC handling

While I agree, I do feel the BBC's handling of this has been all 'fingers and thumbs'

thank you and goodnight.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Re: I get offended by people getting offended by this...

I think you're missing the reality here: very few people WERE offended, except in DailyMail-land. A few parents probably cringed, one or two picked up the phone (or keyboard). None of the kids batted an eyelid.

Silver badge

my two children couldn't stop throwing up after watching this episode at the weekend. Took them to hospital three times but the doctors kept turning us away saying it was a sickness bug!

going to write a strongly worded letter to the BBC about this

Silver badge

> you should see the awesome might of the FCC

A Jimmy Savile nipslip outrage? Oh my!

Gold badge

going to write a strongly worded letter to the BBC about this

NomNomNom,

Let me help you with that letter:

Dear BBC,

I don't hold with all this sex on television. I keep falling off!

Yours,

Colonel Titfield-Thunderbolt O.B.E. D.S.O & bar and looney

Bronze badge

Quite. You can imagine the outrage there'd be if it turned out that someone was being paid £30k a year to watch about to be repeated kids TV just in case something has changed since it was made.

If they are, I'd quite like the job...

Silver badge

If you buy the DVD set of the old original Sesame Street it's labelled "Not suitable for children" .

Silver badge
Linux

Tempura? Why waste a good badger corpse when you can install linux on it?

http://www.strangehorizons.com/2004/20040405/badger.shtml

Silver badge

Why is Sesame Street labeled like that?

Anonymous Coward

Target audience wouldn't have been a target, allegedly. Wrong age. Same goes for the other demographic, stoned students.

I put my foot through my cornflakes

and sent the BBC the bill.

Seriously - do people think that there will or should be some huge effort dedicated to excising any and all reference to Saville from the BBC archives or something?

Joke

Re: I put my foot through my cornflakes

Absolutely, it's much safer to pretend that he never existed - a bit like the book "A complete history of German politics - 1946 to present"*

* I told my [German] Mum this one, and she did laugh - who says that they don't have a sense of humour.

Bronze badge
Stop

"...the book "A complete history of German politics - 1946 to present""

Reminds me of a Family Guy sketch where the German guide was referring to events either side of WW2 but refused to acknowledge anything between 1939-1945.

As for pretending somebody doesn't exist, WWE currently do this for Chris Benoit - they go far as to refuse to show him in matches. If it was a significant match that would otherwise look odd if it was missing (due to the theme of the collection that they compile), I think they may show him but don't acknowledge him.

Headmaster

"but refused to acknowledge anything between 1939-1945"

surely if you'd wanted to suppress all questionable events, you'd have to ignore from around 1933?

Silver badge
Big Brother

Citzen Saville...

... has been Unpersoned!

IGNORANCE IS STRENGTH!

Silver badge
Go

"Seriously - do people think that there will or should be some huge effort dedicated to excising any and all reference to Saville from the BBC archives or something?"

I imagine the Beeb are treading very gingerly before broadcasting any of their usual BBC2/4 filler of TOTP from various years... Steve Wright is going to find himself very busy topping and tailing performances that are suddenly in need of an intro.

Re: some huge effort to excising

Yep, I'm quite sure there are people - or at least media-droids - who think exactly that.

Silver badge
Pint

Whatever happens, don't mention the war

"Will you stop talking about the war?"

"Me?! You started it!"

"We did not start it!"

"Yes you did, you invaded Poland!"

Silver badge

It sees like everytime something significantly bad happens a mistake is made on a channel and an innapropriate rerun is shown. Thats life, it's not intentional. It's a mistake, people need to get a grip!

I bet not a single one of those complaining were abused by Saville. If 'Concerned of Snotting Cockbury' was really that affected they need professional help, preferably from a tug of war team to assist in removing their head from their arse.

Now then, now then......

"but refused to acknowledge anything between 1939-1945"

Bit like those banned cartoons from the 40`s that disney and warner keep trying to forget ever existed. Donald duck as hitler and Bugs bunny in blackface. Their portrail of japanese people is pretty funny as well.

As for this, who gives a shit really, the target audience wont get the reference, to them its just a funny man presenting songs and the program was made before ol cigar fiddler was caught with his pants down.

These stupid, daily mailesque parents are really getting worked up over a non-event and should stop being offended and shocked by every random slipup on the telly.

Ironically, their complaining has probably made sure that this particular episode of the program will be the most watched ever. Well done...

Bronze badge

The displays on the history of Ireland, featuring 'our independence story', in the national museum in Dublin stop with the British leaving.

Civil war? What civil war?

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: I put my foot through my cornflakes (re: Beniot)

Great, someone digs him up again. We, here in Atlanta, are tired of hearing about him and what he did at home.

Unless you've got audio/video, please stop.

Silver badge
Joke

What was more shocking was

explaining to my 4 YO who or what a Jimmy Savile was / is

You try explaining predatory pedophile to a young 'un

Silver badge

Re: What was more shocking was

> You try explaining predatory pedophile to a young 'un

And then wait until he tells the nursery school teacher what Daddy was talking about at breakfast...

Big Brother

You missed the word *alleged* (unless you take the 'innocent until proven guity' police point of view)

Headmaster

He's dead. You can say what you like.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: You can say what you like.

No you can't . For example, I have enormous difficulty saying "perspicaciously" .

Joke

Re: You can say what you like.

Yes, but I don't think you'll have much problem saying "what you like"

It was horrible, horrible I tell you!! Someone SMOKING a cigar before 9pm!!!

Won't someone PLEASE think of the kiddies!!

FAIL

Even in 2001 when this Tweenies episode was made, its audience would not have known who Savile was - at least in this context. He stopped being a regular TOTP presenter in the mid-1980's.

Mushroom

Try saying that to a jew about the holocaust...

Anonymous Coward

You try explaining predatory pedophile to a young 'un

Well wee laddie/lassie:

"Pedophile" is a combination of ped... a Latin prefix indicating a connection with feet (it's derived from pes, the Latin word for foot) and ...phile a suffix of Greek origin which indicates a fondness or attraction to something (derived from philos which is Greek for "loving). So, literally translated it would mean "foot-loving".

"Predatory" is derived from Latin too, it comes from praedator which meant "plunderer" and is used to indicate the behaviour of sneaking about trying to catch something.

So, a "predatory pedophile" would be someone or something with a great love for feet and which spends its time hunting. A centipede perhaps. Millipedes would seem to have an even greater love of feet but as I'm sure you know, they're detritivores and herbivores so couldn't be called predatory.

There have been lots of these Greek/Latin bastard words appearing lately. They seldom serve any useful function, other than to alert the reader to the fact that the author is too ill-educated to differentiate between the classical languages and not adequately literate to express themselves in real words... and for that alone they are invaluable.

(how did I do?)

Anonymous Coward

Pretty stupid of the BBC to do it but can't imagine the intended audience for The Tweenies would even understand. More likely some 'outraged' PC parents who perhaps want to try and sue the beeb?

Trollface

Unlikely to be "PC parents" and more likely to be knuckle-dragging, tabloid raise-a-mob pediatrician harassers.

Silver badge
Devil

To Dr_N

Correct, but they've probably been stirred up (as much as they're capable of being stirred) by one of Murdoch's comics...

yawn

Is this The Register?

Anonymous Coward

Re: yawn

Must be a quiet news week - or no 'Apple' news (yet)?

Anonymous Coward

Is this The Register?

you must be new here....

>Is this The Register?

Yes - can't you see the technology angle?

It was on TV.

TV is technology.

Therefore it's relevant. I think that's how it works.

Silver badge
Trollface

Is this The Register?

Yes, how can I help you? Is your parrot feeling unwell?

Anonymous Coward

What a lot of fuss

It's a shame how the BBC panic and back down in all these cases. They even withdrew all episodes of Top Of The Pops featuring DLT due to a 30 year old allegation that is yet unproven.

Yet Challenge TV are still happily showing Big Break. I don't see The Sun on their case. But if the BBC decided to show some footage of racist unfunny "Jimbo" they'd be on their case as quicker than a Davidson marriage lasts.

Erasing Savile from the past won't stop him noncing those kids. It's done, he's dead, he got away with it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.