Feeds

back to article New slicker Shylock Trojan hooks into Skype

The Shylock banking Trojan has been revamped with extra features that allow the malware to spread using the chat function of Skype, the popular Voice over IP application. Shylock can now roam the Skype network thanks to a new propagating plugin called "msg.gsm". This component also adds functionality including the ability to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Change the f*cking record

Change the f*cking record will you?

Oh wait - I'm a shill.

Re: Change the f*cking record

Because every post you make simply becomes an anti-Microsoft rant - and it is becoming a little tiresome.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Change the f*cking record @Eadon

Because he's tired of the same thing from you day in, day out. Haven't you paid any attention to the many people who've recently pointed out how you're being? As he and others have pointed out, you're quick to call others shills. Hardly polite, is it? So hypocrisy goes onto your list of failings. Well, not really an addition. It's already been pointed out to you.

At first I'd put your behaviour down to being a first-year college kid who's just encountered Linux. Ooh, this is different from Windows. Bet everyone'll think I'm clever if I go on about this! And so you did. In typical student ram-your-new-knowledge-down-everyone's-throat fashion.

Then, a couple of weeks back I think, someone suggested you were actually a real MS fan. Makes a certain kind of sense, I thought. As people pointed out - yesterday, I think - people are more likely to do the opposite of whatever you suggest because you come across as an obsessed loon who has to stick a dig at MS into any conversation, regardless of the actual subject.

My final conclusion is that you're simply trolling, much as I hate to say that as it's what people such as yourself use to try to dismiss other peoples' points (along with the whining about AC posting - peoples' past history has no bearing on the validity of other comments, you know?) It does seem to best explain your behaviour, though.And you've apparently pulled it off successfully; I'd decided not to respond to you any more, but here I am. Clap. Clap. Clap. From now on I'll just stick to downvoting your posts if they're unoriginal repetition of your own or others' stuff, irrelevant, hypocritical; I've given you more food than I should.

Anonymous Coward

But not based on facts. Microsoft's code has fewer vulnerabilities than most competitors these days...

FAIL

Would proffer that instead, the "The Reg" vultures need to crack down on your rather banal anti-MS rhetoric

Bronze badge
Flame

So anyone who supports MS here is not 'an engineer' or 'technical', but anyone who doesn't is? Well, obviously. I expect the comments pages of The Register are just full of cooks and builders and ironing board salesmen, all using Windows and all telling people how great it is.

I remember what a shock it was to me when I left school and found out that there were people who were much smarter than me and that I didn't know everything. You'll find it out, too, in three or four years' time.

Stop

I have not pinned my colours to any mast in any posts here.

Where in my post does it imply I am anti-Linux or pro-MS or any other technology?

Anonymous Coward

"Are you saying that Microsoft's code is more secure than Apple's?" - Yes absolutely - I guess you missed the last few pwn to own competitions? Or the over 1,800 known security vulnerabilities in OS-X? (To put that in perspective, even Windows XP only has about 450!)

"Than Google's?" - well certainly more secure on the OS front than Android, or on the browser front than Chrome - both of which have loads more vulnerabilities than equivalent current Microsoft products.

"Than Linux code?" - well comparing any enterprise distribution of Linux - yes - Microsofts OSs have had a better record on # vulnerabilities, criticality of vulnerabilities and average days at risk every year since 2004...This is why hacking and attack statistics show that you are so much more likely to be hacked running an Internet facing Linux server than a Windows one...And the same applies to 'package adjusted' Linux distributions that only match the content of Windows OSs - Jeff Jones proved this in some detail.

If anyone actually used Linux on the desktop, then the same (or likely worse) would be true of user interactino based exploits of that too.

Bronze badge
Childcatcher

I like not fair terms and a villain's mind

Previous versions (or configurations) of the malware hijacking live chat sessions in a bid to trick business banking customers into handing over their banking login credentials or into authorising fraudulent transactions.

It might be worthwhile for banks to outsource some human countermeasures. How amusing would it be to tie up the fraudsters' human resources with cheap labor from China from whom they ultimately get nothing or, better yet, are enticed into being traced and nabbed.

Bronze badge

If Microsoft isn't bad...

...let them prove it. They can easily push out a fix rapidly and show the world+dog that they are "on top of this".

Me? I'm not holding my breath!

Anonymous Coward

Re: If Microsoft isn't bad...

This isnt a vulnerability in Skype for Microsoft to fix. Its using a 3rd party tool designed to perform certain functions - and then relying on gullible users to do the rest....

Anonymous Coward

Shylock is a strain of banking Trojan?

What platforms does this 'banking Trojan' run on?

Anonymous Coward

internet banking

more holes than a swiss cheese

Bronze badge

And they're stopping Messenger?

When Messenger goes, I think I'll give Skype a miss.

This topic is closed for new posts.