Feeds

back to article Sorry for the censorship says Chinese chat service

Chinese web giant Tencent has released a statement blaming a “technical glitch” for problems that last week led to disruptions for international users of its popular WeChat app last week. The popular Whatsapp-like application is approaching 300 million global users and although most of these are still located in the People’s …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge

Chinese whispers

If a user outside China and a user inside China had a conversation involving 'sensitive' subjects, I wonder if they'd see the same words on their screens. It would be an interesting experiment to perform; if you could find anyone inside China who was brave/crazy enough to volunteer.

Silver badge
Meh

If you think that your conversations are not monitored because you live outside China.....

Think again, because that's the stuff they really want to listen to.

Bronze badge
Big Brother

@LarsG

My thoughts exactly, although toggling filter probably helped to remind some users to watch what they say to friends back home.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: Model for the UK

Yep, we have way to many laws, way too many Quangos and politicians who like to ban things for fun

Silver badge

300 Million users? users OUTSIDE China?

Last time I used a Tencent piece of software it was 100% bloatware.. Not sure why you would use it over Google as a messaging platform (well unless you believe the US Government is monitoring your communications, in that case I would choose Chinese monitoring over US monitoring, China are unlikely to try and extradite you for minor offences, the US will try and extradite you for copyright violation!)

Silver badge
Happy

I'd rather have the Chinese listen ...

than Cameron's mob or Obamarama's NAS.

Must be frustrating for Homeland Security and the NAS to think the Chinese have masses of data they can't access like they do FB, Twit, etc.

This topic is closed for new posts.