Feeds

back to article Oracle management tools top critical list in quarterly patch party

As part of its quarterly patch release cycle, Oracle will be unleashing 86 of the things on Tuesday, January 15, over half of them critical enough to allow full remote code execution without piffling details like a password. Oracle Patch cycle Roll 'em out "Due to the threat posed by a successful attack, Oracle strongly …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Need a decent SDL

Oracle needs to do what Adobe did, talk to Microsoft and adopt their Secure Development Lifecycle. Oracle is a shambles at its attempts to secure the software it releases.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Need a decent SDL

With Java, I agree. With the RDBMS? I disagree.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

Re: Need a decent SDL

Actually, a good point. I've worked for both Oracle and Microsoft, and Oracle in general have pretty poor product management and development process. However the area where they do well is in the RDBMS. But that's not a surprise as it is their core business. Microsoft isn't exactly the perfect company, far from it. But when it comes to having well defined process for the development and production of secure software, they excel.

@Eadon

You've been living under a rock since 2004, I see.

A lot has changed at Microsoft in the last decade or so where you weren't paying attention. Adobe did indeed learn secure development from Microsoft, and that's why Reader X (as an example) has been pretty much vulnerability free, unlike its bug riddled predecessors.

Silver badge

@tim 68

This Reader X you talk of - not available for Linux I see, as my copy of Adobe's bloat (used for cases when Evince is not OK) seems to be stuck on bug-riddled version 9.

So yes, they have learned from Microsoft by taking a cross-platform product and dropping support for all but Windows and (no doubt reluctantly) MacOS.

This topic is closed for new posts.