back to article Europe's cybercrime fighters get new digs... complete with Faraday room

The EU’s new European Cybercrime Centre (EC3) will be inaugurated at Europol in The Hague later today. The facility will act as the "focal point" in the EU’s fight against cybercrime, against both businesses and private citizens. The centre is designed to provide greater international co-ordination in the fight against online …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Khaptain Silver badge
    Coat

The Interpol of the Internet

I wonder how long it will take before they get hacked.....

2. chris lively

A faraday cage for seized equipment? Is that really necessary or is it just a regular cage as found in most police departments that someone said "hey, that's a faraday cage!"

Regarding being hacked: my guess is day 1, from the inside by another countries intelligence service. Although it'll be years before they know it and the public never will.

1. vagabondo

Re Faraday cage

Probably just means using standard foil-backed plasterboard on metal stud with metallized reflective windows. Used to be quite common before users started complaining about lack of mobile phone reception.

2. Aldous
      Trollface

does it stop giant magnets?

Yeah Mr White, yeah Science!

1. Anonymous Coward
        Devil

Re: does it stop giant magnets?

Breaking Bad, best crime show on television ..

--

"You may know a lot about chemistry man but you don't know jack about slangin' dope", Jesse Pinkman

3. Will Godfrey Silver badge
    Meh

By the time they've completed all the paperwork in order to get the seized kit to the room the crims will already have remotely bricked the stuff.

1. Allan George Dyer
      Coat

Never heard of a Faraday Bag?

The one with the mesh-lined pockets, please.

2. Mike007 Bronze badge

that was my first thought, most of the stuff they get will have been seized somewhere else, processed, then spend several days being trasnported before it arrives there, and i bet it won't be put in a faraday cage until it gets there.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

enquiring minds want to know

do you have to wear a tinfoil hat in the Faraday room?

5. P_0

Couldn't they just take the batteries out of the devices?

6. Christian Berger

Faraday room can keep people from wiping their devices?

Uhm, if you use a GSM modem for communications it's easy to find out if you are in a faraday cage and even if you are being transported. If you use some other form of radio, you can still probably estimate the RF power in cellular bands to wipe yourself when something is fishy.

Sure it's a nice thing to have, but it probably won't solve that particular problem.

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

This is a career opportunity

Put as many hackers and pirates in prison as you can, as fast as you can because they seem to multiply like rats, maybe because they are?

8. Stevie

Bah!

By "Faraday Room" I assume you mean an oak paneled lounge named for the Great Man where bewhiskered gentlemen of science make take their ease with a glass of brandy before a roaring fire, free of the distractions of the world and the shrill interruptions of women.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like