back to article New York's Chelsea gets free Wi-Fi courtesy of Google

Google is setting up a free outdoor Wi-Fi zone around its New York headquarters in the Chelsea district, making it available to local residential homes and schools. At a press conference on Tuesday, New York's Mayor Michael Bloomberg said that free Wi-Fi was a "great idea" and the city has already wired up 20 public parks in the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Black Helicopters

Privacy is optional.

Nothing in life is free.

Happy

Re: Privacy is optional.

Nothing is ALWAYS free. Really. Think about it.

Gold badge

All of your Internet traffic scanned, data mined and personalised adverts sent to you, while a profile of your habits and searches are sent to a selected group of partners. Or Free Google WIFI as it will be known as.

Silver badge
Big Brother

Re: All of your Internet traffic scanned

which makes it different then the rest of my internet traffic, how?

Silver badge

Free Wi-Fi

That would be like the free citywide Wi-Fi that US companies have sued local governments into NOT deploying, am I right? Companies like Cox, Brighthouse, Time Warner, Comcast and other big ISPs?

Bronze badge

In keeping with the subhead

She told me again, she preferred handsome men

but for me she would make an exception.

Anonymous Coward

There is nothing free in this world

Everything comes with strings attached, especially Google and the internet. But then again a sucker is born every .00000001 seconds so there are a lot of suckers to fleece.

Imagine what the network would cost if they charged for it

You have to admit, the estimated costs to install ($115k) and operate ($45k) the network are pretty low. Sure not as cheap as 3 DSL lines and 3 SOHO routers, but nowhere near what companies were quoting back in the years of muni-WiFi.

Can you imagine what kinds of operational overheads and costs would come with having to create billing, authentication, support center (including a way to give credit to users who pay but can't get connected), and roaming agreements and transfer payment schemes and revenue sharing, and on and on...

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums