back to article China to build ANOTHER 100 petaflops hybrid supercomputer by 2014?

We passed through the 10 petaflops barrier in the supercomputer racket last year, and the next station on the train to exaflops is 100 petaflops. China already admitted at last year's International Super Computing '12 shindig that it was working on a kicker to Tianhe-1A hybrid CPU-GPU supercomputer, with the goal of having the …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Devil

Yes, yes, but can it run a pirated copy of Crysis?

Silver badge
Coffee/keyboard

An original twist on a tired question. Hats of to you sir.

Anonymous Coward

I read it is actually for figuring out the interest on what the US owes China.

Joke

A real need

China needs a supercomputer like that to keep track of all the money they are loaning the US for their entitlement spending.

Anonymous Coward

SPARC usage in Tianhe-I?

I was curious what they were doing with their variant of SPARC in the Tianhe-I. I found that it’s called the FeiTeng-1000 processor, and based on an UltraSPARC-T2, most likely from the OpenSPARC project. Past that, all I can find is that they’re using 2,048 of them for both the service nodes and to enhance their custom designed high-speed system interconnect. To do this, it looks like they added DDR3 , PCIe 2.0 and Hypertransport to the OpenSPARC-T2 to use in the interconnect so perhaps they’re using the 64 threads it has to handle all the message passing efficiently? Anyone know any details?

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums