Feeds

back to article Victory on mobile belongs to Google in 2013

It's clear. The way to win in mobile is to solve an exceptionally difficult problem. Apple first did it by streamlining the mobile experience through an integrated OS and app-discovery and installation experience. Google then went a step further and crunched mountains of data to make mobile services breathtakingly powerful. The …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge
Meh

An article by an Arsenal fan should be taken with a pinch do salt.

Indeed

Perhaps they should add. It to the ever-lengthening biography at the end.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: Indeed

Especially an Arsenal fan who thinks that iOS is more polished than Android

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Agreed.

Arsenal fans, like iPhone users, still believe that they have the slickest and most polished product available, despite the clear evidence to the contrary.

(And I'm an Arsenal fan. Sigh. Though I'm NOT an iPhone user.)

Anonymous Coward

@ Martin

Don't know whether to down vote you for being an Arsenal Fan or up vote you for your choice of phone?

Anonymous Coward

@Chris 3

'Perhaps they should add. It to the ever-lengthening biography at the end'

just like 'Astronaut' Howard Wolowitz .......

Coat

But while they say "You can't polish a turd", Apple seem to do just that a couple of times a year...

Headmaster

"But while they say "You can't polish a turd" "

...actually...there is a show called Mythbusters, and they have proven that you CAN polish a turd. Just saying.

Silver badge

slick: Superficially attractive or plausible but lacking depth or soundness

Actually, I'd happily describe iphones and so on as "slick". But unfortunately the people who describe it this way don't seem to be using it as a criticism... (Well, I guess it's standard Apple fan logic - even a negative point is actually a positive point.)

iOS is more polished than Android. You'd have to use both to know, and most folks don't.

Actually I have used both. and yeah, I would say Android is more poolished. Just the very idea that it allows me to use my phone the way I want to and not having to go back to the home screen just to switch tasks that I have actively on the go is great. The fact that my data is open for many applications to share on my device means a lot to me. I love that I can choose to have multiple readers for one file type on my phone or tablet and all of them have the same access to everything rather than each application having its own silo of data.

True, some would say, "Ah...but what about malware on Android?" Well, I grant you this, it may get malware, but at least I can use it MY way and not how Apple thinks or forces me to use it.And when I compare my Jelly Bean based Nexus with my friend's phone who is running iOS 6, it just feels like iOS is starting to really show its age and lacklustre features to me as a user. It feels like I am putting Windows 2000 and Windows 7 next to each other. Battleship Grey vs Aero polish.....I would never choose the former.

Anonymous Coward

So, double tapping the home button and being able to switch app whilst stuff runs in the background isn't quick enough for you? i manage this daily.

hmmm how about those PDF's and ZIP file's i can choose to open in either WinZIP, Preview, Adobe PDF or those XLSX i can CHOOSE to open in Numbers or the default Preview app??? seems like there is choice.

You must be really sad to get 'bored' of a Mobile Phone OS... seriously who ever needs that flexibility on a iPhone can jailbreak which is akin to rom-ing or root-ing your Android which most 'power users' have to do to tweak anyway.

Please.... try actually being PRODUCTIVE on either platform before spreading fud..... the register is full of fandroids who just think it's cool that google have ALL their data and no privacy :)

Anonymous Coward

"iOS is more polished than Android. You'd have to use both to know, and most folks don't."

....and then you wake up!

Anonymous Coward

"the register is full of fandroids who just think it's cool that google have ALL their data and no privacy :)"

Far more aware of privacy issues than the standard iPhone user in their walled garden, keeping them safe from the baddies!

I don't know or care how Google does it.

Yes, perhaps best not to think about it; because, if you actually consider it for any length of time, you might find yourself feeling a significant degree of concern about handing over so many intimate details of your life to a gigantic faceless entity.

Silver badge

It's ok .....

... his Google account isn't under his real name. :)

Re: It's ok .....

Sadly, even if he does, they have his approximate and / or work address if he has ever used Wifi at home or work,along with various other details, including, possibly any people he has called.

Unhappy

I hate people with face, and still cant do anything.

Thumb Up

Meme of the Month

" I hate people with face, and still cant do anything. "

I don't know what you meant to say, but this is brilliant. Upvoted for creating what deserves to become El Reg's version of "All your base are belong to us"

Meh

Re: It's ok .....

Thankfully, his tinfoil hat will save him from the worst.

Bronze badge
Facepalm

Doesn't the winner in business makes the most money?

Apple's profit is bigger than Googles revenue stream last quarter: http://www.businessinsider.com/apples-profit-was-higher-than-googles-revenue-last-quarter-2012-1.

Silver badge

Re: Doesn't the winner in business makes the most money?

That all depends on the duration. Lots of money one week, nothing the next, does not a winner make.

@Khaptain Why not use Google then to look up relative profitability let's say since Google's IPO. Or cash. Or revenues. Or gross margins. Or indicated satisfactions and replacement rates. Will that always be the case? Obviously not. But I'm not too worried about a company with $121Bn in the bank (as at 3/12/12).

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Only if you're a shareholder. This isn't some competition. The argument that most people are interested in having, if at all, is which is best (which, in some cases, could be argued based on which is most popular). For some reason Apple fans[*] have become expert at deflecting the argument into "Which company makes most money", even though that's not an argument anyone else is interesting in having.

Never in the most heated Windows vs whatever debate did someone go, "But look how much money Bill Gates has".

[*] Which sadly includes much of the media - you'll never see a pointless comparison article like that for any other two companies; only when the "winner" is Apple. If a company is making less profit, who cares - that tells me they're doing more to pass savings onto the customer. A company with higher profit _by definition_ has more overpriced products. And Google are a special case their products are given away, so their revenue is going to be lower too. For us, that's good.

Is Linux crap, because the revenue (let alone profit) that the Linux developers make is zero? You'd argue that Windows is better, because it's more expensive and makes MS more money? That's a ludicrous argument.

but where does the money come from?

My biggest problem with Google is that it doesn't charge anything upfront. It just takes your data and says oh that will do. If Google and Apple were people who would you trust? The one who told you where they are making their money and charged fully for what they sell or the one who says "Just take it for free, you can pay me back later with a favor...".

So no the question of who has the most income is not irrelevant. Will Linux be there when you need them? Maybe you feel that it is worth it to use Linux, and I would agree with you if it were a simple product and I really had someone who was responsible for what I was buying. If there is a professional vendor then I prefer to get what I pay for, not trust some one that "free" actually is free and not expensive later.

Silver badge

Except that Apple are doing the same thing.

As are Microsoft and RIM on their respective platforms.

So is it better to pay up front and hand over your data anyway, or get it for the price if handing over your data?

Perhaps it's better to consider the merits of the actual product - in my opinion iOS6 is the runaway not-winner as it has very little functionality compared to the others - heck, there isn't even a way to see the complete current date ("Sat 5" is not a date!) on the home screen, let alone time in other time zones.

Yet that's trivial on phones that support widgets, like Android.

Not really 'Open' though, is it???

Most Android devices are rom-locked apart from Nexus, even then there are lots of aspects of Android that are closed... if it were truely open then why can't other app makes have access to the data being collected and sent to google??? it's a honey pot... you should be very naive that when Google's Android / Chrome base gets to a certain size they will close it (you can already see evidence of this ... ala Nexus Q).

Bronze badge

Is the Google Now Teletubbies music optional?

Not sure I could live my life thinking that I'm living in Teletubby Land.

Bronze badge

Much more interesting...

...are the Google vs Siri video links which appear at the end.

I have concerns about using any company that makes money by effectively mining my data to sell ads and if I were a GOOG investor I would be concerned that about 99% of their revenue comes from search.

Do people ever stop to consider how easy it would be to switch to an alternative if it were as good / better / you got too concerned about Google's privacy? 10 seconds.

Maybe Apple should buy Google?

Bronze badge

that's the point.

What are the chances that anyone can develop a search engine (with backing data, of which they have decades) that will compete with Google?

Bronze badge
Black Helicopters

Isn't that a great thing about Google?

Anybody can make a search, lots of people already have. Anybody can switch search with absolutely no hardship or outlay or even need to transfer any legacy data.

I could switch search from Bing to Yahoo, to Ask, to Google, to etc for every other search in a day with no impact whatsoever (assuming all the searches provided the results I need)

However Google has remained dominant in search for so many years. As an investor that would be a big positive.

As for mining your data to sell ads - every company 'mines' your data to sell you anything. Any company with something to sell and has a significant marketing budget tries to get as much information about their customers as possible to sell them something. You can bet your socks that Apple and Microsoft are taking as much of your data as possible to do the same thing.

Re: that's the point.

"What are the chances that anyone can develop a search engine (with backing data, of which they have decades) that will compete with Google?"

You do realise that people said pretty much the same about Lycos, Excite, Yahoo and Altavista? All of whome have been beaten by Google.

Remember, all it would need is for someone to build a better search engine and Google lose the basis for their business.

Silver badge

Re: that's the point.

Build a better mousetrap...

Silver badge

Google Now

Is there an easy way to sign up for this magical service that allows a computer to predict everything that you interested in and sell that information to anyone interested keep you fully informed about the world.

Bronze badge

Re: Google Now

Yes, work has started on bringing Google Now to Chrome.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Re: Google went down the relatively Open road

Er, the market was not created by Apple. Even MS who you seem to dislike were there before (and selling more than iphone in the early years). I like Android too, and liked Symbian, but I'm not sure why one should want iphone to succeed and wp to fail.

"Desktops? Minor market and they'll grab much of that in time too!"

Desktop is a misnomer these days - most "desktops" are laptops, which still run "desktop" OSs. Though it will be interesting to see the rise of ChromeOS.

Anonymous Coward

hmmph

How about solving the difficult problem of making a phone that works well as a phone?

Bronze badge

Re: hmmph

My Nexus 4 does a wonderful job of working as a phone. I still prefer voice calls to text messages - mostly because there is still no guarantee that a text message will reach it's intended destination - a problem that even these days still afflicts email too.

Bronze badge
Go

"How about solving the difficult problem of making a phone that works well as a phone?"

Yeah, I know what you mean. I know exactly when the person on the other end has an iPhone, because I can't hear anything they say. Then they have to call back every 10 minutes because their iPhone dropped the call. It's pretty pathetic. My first cell phone (some Ericson model from mid 90s) had better call quality.

Maybe it's some conspiracy with the providers to push up minute usage. Like:

"Garble garble ten garble."

"What was that?"

"I'll be garble garble garble."

"Come again?"

"Garble there garble garble minutes"

"Oh, you'll be here in 10 minutes?"

-- call dropped --

-- ring ring --

"Garble garble dropped."

"Oh that's ok. So you'll be here in 10?"

"Yeah."

"Ok see you then."

"Garble."

-- hang up phone, and smirk about polish --

But hey, they can play Angry Birds, so what do they care.

Thumb Up

Yep, and not just call quality but usability too. Like, on a blackberry or an older nokia you can redial the last number in two clicks - green and green again - without looking. I do this a dozen times a day, and often need it in a hurry. On an iphone or nearly any kind of android, even those with a keyboard, it is not only loads more clicks but you have to look to see what you are doing. A crazy step back IMHO.

Quite happy to have my phone do smart things as well but first things first - doing the things I do most often with it reliably and easily.

So either a) most people with an android, iphone etc hardly use their phones as phones or b) they put up with constant inconveniences in their most frequent interactions with it, for the sake of shiny apps, or c) they actually spend more time using their phone for smart apps than for phoning, texting, mailing. In which case they need to get out and get lives.

Anonymous Coward

Apple polish.? Google already have that...

Keep up....

http://gizmodo.com/5973073/an-iphone-lovers-confession-i-switched-to-the-nexus-4-completely

Apple have absolutely nothing left against a handset like the Nexus4. Not only is the hardware and OS better, smoother, more flexible, the maps are better. Chrome is better, the cloud sync is better.

I can't think of a single area where the iPhone5 is better (I don't live in a LTE area).

Anonymous Coward

Re: Apple polish.? Google already have that...

iOS, security and all my iTunes media for a start - those are big issues.

Bronze badge
Paris Hilton

Pick up chicks/dudes with iPhones?

Silver badge
FAIL

Well security on Android is just fine (unless you are a pirate and untick the option that prevents you from downloading dodgy apps from random websites). Shopping on the Google Play store is as safe as iOS. Of course AntiVirus sellers won't tell you this, so you have to suffer endless half-truths about Android Malware...

iTunes. Don't make me laugh. It's pretty clear you haven't tried Google Music.... free storage of 20,000 of your own songs, free scan and match and available to pretty much any device on the planet that has a browser. The Android Google Music app is superb. You have everything in the cloud, and pin the stuff you want to download locally to your phone, I have a "everything rated" playlist with 1000 or so tracks, pin that along with some of my other mood playlists, and voilla, I have the best of both worlds. The vast majority of music I want, on my device all the time, and ALL my music available anywhere as long as I have a data connection or have a device with a browser.

THAT is a million times more useful than needing a local music collection, and a proprietary music transfer program like iTunes...

Anonymous Coward

"Pick up chicks/dudes with iPhones?"

Can we aaume then that iPhone users are FUGLY and need a phone to make them more interesting!!

Using Android reminds me why I stick with the iPhone...

This is not a flame - this is my experience. Although I use a Mac at work, I'm not an Apple apostle - my work keeps me in contact with many new phones - pre-release - to produce documentation for them. Let me tell you about the latest one.

It is a mid-range Android phone, 4.5" screen, running Jelly Bean. There is no Home button, so whenever the screen powers down you have to reach up and click the power button on the top of the phone to start it up again - I very quickly set the power off time to Never.

Important icons are scattered all over the place, with no consistency. In the Phone app, switching between the Phone section and the Contacts section is done at the top of the screen (hard to reach one handed), with the Options icon at the bottom. In other (native) apps (like Messaging) the Options icon is up at the top right.

When browsing, the bar that slides down to actually allow you to switch tabs etc is maddeningly inconsistent as far as the way of triggering it is concerned - sometimes it comes down, sometimes it doesn't. Same with gestures - you just don't know if something's going to work or not.

Now, this may be due to pre-release bugs, but I've been through enough Android phones to feel that it's not. It's certainly better than previous Android versions in many cases, but the overall experience for someone who's used an iPhone is TO ME, decidedly sub par.

This is just my opinion, obviously.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Using Android reminds me why I stick with the iPhone...

and you are wrong.

Pick up a Nexus 4 and tell us it's not better in every single area than an iPhone5, but at half the pricetag.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.