Feeds

back to article Aw grandad, I asked for an iPad and you got me an iPod

You'd think Brits receiving Apple products for Christmas would be happy to find the pricey kit in their stockings, but not all of them were. Searches for returns policies on Christmas Day in the UK were 250 per cent higher than last year, says Experian Hitwise, the web analytics company, and searches for the Apple returns policy …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

FAIL

Does that mean that Apple can now sue itself for patent infringement, as Apple's products are similar enough to Apple's products to confuse the average customer, thus making Apple lose revenue or however the usual lawyer bait goes?

Silver badge
Meh

No, it's just that children in this day and age are over indulged and spoiled, that parents try to over compensate for the lack of 'quality time' they have with their children.

So much for our fragmented society.

Anonymous Coward

"No, it's just that [other people's] children in this day and age are over indulged and spoiled, that [other] parents try to over compensate for the lack of 'quality time' they have with their children [, instead of going on benefits to spend more time with them].

So much for our fragmented society [, which wouldn't exist if everybody just did what I thought]".

There fixed that for you.

Anonymous Coward

Ha ha! In a bout of pre-christmas genorosity I suggested to my son's that as the older one (16) has had great value out of an iPod that he got with a combination of Christmas presents and money he'd earned in a school "make money from a tenner" scheme then offered an iPod to younger son (12) and an iPad mini to older son. Result was older son declined iPad mini ("what's the point of tablets - they're just stupid") while younger son turned out to be set on a Samsung smartphone (looks like he has a Galaxy Ace 2 is pencilled in for his birthday in March!)

Anonymous Coward

... I suggested to my son's ...

Oops ... apologies for the stray apostrophe!

Anonymous Coward

Your two sons ought to research more. My 14 year old came to the conclusion anything other than a basic phone was near useless for him, at home and school he has wifi and the 7" form factor hits the portability sweet spot. 'iPad Mini is a waste of money, Nexus 7 is better value and I'd like to try writing apps for android not get stuck with a device where I need to use a MacBook to write my own software'.

Incidentally, why on earth does your 16 year old think a tablet is stupid?

Anonymous Coward

No, there's no confusion

Since Nokia stopped making hundreds of nearly identical phones, having a confusing product line is surely an Apple trademark.

Anonymous Coward

My daughter got a lump of coal and a pair of socks. If she needs a pad she can use the socks instead and wash them.

Makes me think of this video

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r-0_pfGqVlg

Seriously cruel

Silver badge

Re: No, there's no confusion

The whole claims of Samsung and Apple products looking too similar has always confused me. If you can't tell the two apart, you shouldn't be in the shop. You'll end up with one of these:

http://d24w6bsrhbeh9d.cloudfront.net/photo/5971512_220x145.jpg

Thumb Up

Completely agreee

My niece and nephew are impossible to buy Christmas and birthday presents for because my sister just buys them things when ever she wants. I've just gotten into the habit of basically buying a present from her stock pile (no really) and give that to them. Basically, they've been trained that they can get stuff when they want, and not have to wait.

To sound like and old-fogey (I'm only 31), be glad of what you're given you bunch of ingrates. The only items I've ever received a receipt with were clothes, in case they didn't fit.

FAIL

Money to burn and no sense of what really matters

Last week a news story local to where I live, ran an article of an unfortunate couple who were burgled twice in days and had their entire haul of presents stolen, The most shocking part of this story is not that they were sadly burgled, but the sheer disgusting amount of money they wasted on what looked like three four or five year old children; the value came to something approaching THREE THOUSAND POUNDS!!! When I was that age in the mid 1970s, I got things like a teddy bear and a few simple low value presents. I appreciate that the world was much less technology driven then, but I have an uncle who is a genuine scientific electronics and computing boffin, and was always at the cutting edge of technology and brought many interesting things for himself and later for me, but even then I still never had hundreds or thousands lavished on me. This has never bothered me though, because what I did get was interesting and taught me a lot, plus I had many years of pleasure from them. During my teens I saved up and paid for just about everything I ever owned, including computers and HiFi etc.

People these days are too busy leading self indulgent lives, chasing ever larger houses, cars, holidays and so on. To pay for all of this they have to work every hour of the day, often with miles of commuting and meanwhile their poor neglected children suffer lives lacking real love and devotion. I'm glad my mother was of the previous generations, where staying home to properly raise the family mattered the most. Good on ya mum!

Holmes

Re: Completely agreee

"My niece and nephew are impossible to buy Christmas and birthday presents for because my sister just buys them things when ever she wants"

This is pretty common today. Solution: ask your sister what to buy. Or give a box of legos, affordable and can't go wrong with it.

Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Agree with Legos, except: where are they affordable? I need to know!

Anonymous Coward

"Result was older son declined iPad mini ("what's the point of tablets - they're just stupid") while younger son turned out to be set on a Samsung smartphone (looks like he has a Galaxy Ace 2 is pencilled in for his birthday in March!)"

At least you have them grounded or have taught them to aim low. Guess that way it avoids disappointment.

Anonymous Coward

iTunes voucher is pretty safe these days.

Know how you feel my brother is the same way with his kids.

But my brother will go one up if he finds out we bought something for them he didn't yet, he will go out and buy it and give it to them before us so he looks like the hero instead... My brother has some REAL issues.

Funny thing is this year my brother spent way over $1500 on presents for his kids this year (Wii U, pile of other things), and my little nephew is playing with 2 $20 batman toys I got him the most(which my brother said not to buy as he would never play with it) :D

Trollface

Re: No, there's no confusion

I got my kids this Smart Pad, also does graphics very well with a small add-on. Excellent battery life as well.

Anonymous Coward

I know far too many parents like this, do they not understand what they are doing to their kids?

I can afford to buy my kids anything they would ever want, but I don't. They have learned that you don't get something just because you want it and certainly not because "everyone else has one".

This has worked out quite well as my eldest daughter is now quite good with her money, doesn't fall for hype and doesn't waste money on worthless crap.

Anonymous Coward

"They have learned that you don't get something just because you want it "

Absolutely agree. I wanted a car when I was 18 and even though my father could afford to get me one he insisted I earn the money myself. I had to work part-time for his hedge fund for a couple of months before I got the Porsche I wanted. Made me value work.

Headmaster

It's fucking Lego! Not Legos!

Thumb Up

Looks like your son's are tech savvy

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Anonymous Coward

An iPad 4 for Christmas?! I wouldn't be searching for the returns policy, but instead a hammer to smash the junk with. The relative who got me it would never be on my Christmas card list again. Ever.

Anonymous Coward

Worse than...

Those parents who force kids into pageants ... pushing your xenophobic views because you irrationally ^hate^ a company that does well ??? hmmm someone call child line... get a life. if your happy with a Samsung Tab 10.1 with that awfully plastic behind that feels too cheap for a £400 tablet along with the stutterry ui then go ahead.

It amazes me how much people just dying to force their views on others... you don't like Apple ... we get it!!

Silver badge
WTF?

I may not be a fan of iPads, but a relative willing to shell out that much for something they think you'll like is a good relative, you need to be on santa's naughty list this year for that comment!

I would love an android tablet, plenty of choice, and if I am honest unless I gave the model number I doubt I would get the right device if someone brought me one, and that is why google have gone down the easy route of nexus 4/7/10

Now go crawl back into your hole...

Anonymous Coward

Re: Worse than...

if you paid £400 for one then you were ripped off!

The Tab 10.1 is much cheaper than that...

I brought the Note 10.1. which is more expensive and I only paid £318 PLUS I got £50 cashback!

I agree on the plastic not being great, but since 99% of people I see stick cases on tablets, it matters little..

And in my testing before buying the Note 10.1 was more practical for our purpose than another Apple iPad, the storage is the killer for me, when I travel I have to entertain 2 children for weeks, and that means carrying multiple micro SD cards full of entertainment, I also like to carry my photos & home movies with me to show the in-laws, and that is around 38gig alone, can't stick that on an iPad...

Silver badge

Hi Obviously!, why you using AC?

Anonymous Coward

"Hi Obviously!, why you using AC?"

Actually, I've not commented until now. Just to how retarded are you? As if we needed proof that your comments are ill-considered and just plain wrong (don't be teaching your mistakes to your mistakes).

PLUS, and most importantly, I'd never use a COWARDS tag. My set grew at the age of 13.

I'm happy with what I know to be true and have no reason to hide like the rest of the COWARDS allowed to spout their bile. WELL DONE TOM38!

Happy

I'll have it if you don't want.! Cheers

Silver badge
Stop

Obviously not a big enough set

That you're prepared to post under your real name. Tom had a point though, it was absolutely typical of the BS that you like to post. Unless the relative in question knew about your hatred of all things Apple in advance of their purchase then there is no call for snubbing them in future for what is a fairly generous gift.

Facepalm

Now, I count myself amongst thousands of other phandroids, but if a relative bought me an iPad, I would be rather pleased.

Oh, and to the AC 09:00 response, I was nodding my head in agreement until... if your happy with a Samsung Tab 10.1 with that awfully plastic behind that feels too cheap for a £400 tablet along with the stutterry ui then go ahead.

From there it was just facepalm, I'm afraid.

Silver badge
Linux

Confusing money with love...

The point here is that your relatives should have a clue. They should know you and consider that when shopping for you. What they come up with should not show a complete lack of regard for who you are or what you like.

Wasting a lot of money on something that the recipient really doesn't want is just a big demonstration of your own stupidity and shallowness.

Better a trivial bauble that shows a bit of thought.

Stop

I hate Apple and everything they do as much as the next guy but selling a new iPad on to some other sucker could net you the money for a Nexus 10 and a load of beer.

a simple explanation

bought my kid an ipad for christmas. returned on new year.

reason being is i wanted to prove to him that we didnt become trendy when it arrived or stop being trendy when it left and we are both quite satisfied now that its not a trendy product. other families aren't as intelligent.

Anonymous Coward

Re: a simple explanation

No, you've just proved you're a complete - operator fron hell. ;)

Anonymous Coward

You sound like a n unpleasant and thoughtless person. Quite apart from the meanness and taunting towards your hapless child, people like you drive the prices up for the rest of us by abusing such commercial policies as "fair return and reimbursement".

Do you cheat insurance companies with false or inflated claims too? Hope you are not involved with software that the rest of us may have to suffer.

Silver badge

I asked my child to read that comment when she wouldn't tidy her room and I insisted she should. I told her, "you might think I'm being mean and controlling, however I could be really mean and controlling like this parent."

She still replied I was equally as mean and controlling though...

Anonymous Coward

You could at least have bought a BB Playbook as well, and shown him that Flash works in the browser and that the iPlayer app works perfectly to a TV, using an ordinary HDMI cable. Neither of these things works properly on either an iPad or the Nexus 7.(In fact, you can charge the PB through the magnetic port while running iPlayer to the TV and being connected to a computer through USB)

Silver badge

iPlayer has worked with Airplay for over a year now, or you can mirror screen contents.

Adobe have admitted that Flash on a mobile device is a bad idea and discontinued it on Android. There are few sites these days that don't offer an app or HTML5 compatibility to work around this.

Your "Ordinary" HDMI cable is nothing of the sort, it's got a Micro-HDMI plug on one end so you've had to buy a custom cable for the job (one that you're not going to be able to find at a local store). That might be a little cheaper than Apple's solution, but its less flexible and more prone to breakage.

Both the iPad and Nexus are able to charge while playing video so I have no idea what you are on about here.

"She still replied I was equally as mean and controlling though..."

Take her bed away and make her sleep in the floor. That'll teach her.

"Take her bed away and make her sleep in the floor. That'll teach her."

Once you've piled all your clothes in a nice heap it's not that cold or uncomfortable.

Joke

Just you wait until you get old and I drive you to see a nice luxurious old persons home then take you to the heap you'll be staying in. You'll wish you'd bought me an iPad then

Easily done. Like my Mum saying her cousin got an iPad or iPod 'or something'... yeah very informative thanks.

Silver badge

Need some more scrooges out there

To understand that buying a ton of potentially unwanted crap is just pointless.

Clearly not very satisfying, either, because of all this extra hassle caused, and high rates of return.

Also, think of the extra pollution and man hours - delivery or collection, then returns again.

Or maybe people could just use the money instead - NOT a gift voucher - which is just a cutely packaged scam to make you an investor with no returns.

Bronze badge

Perception

Just goes to show that Apple is all marketing - people THINK that's what everyone wants, but it really isn't. There may be a bit of "model confusion" going on but I'd wager the majority of it was simply unwanted kit.

Bronze badge

Re: Perception

I'd wager that you're wrong.

Silver badge
Linux

Re: Perception

No. This is all clueless conspicuous consumers that can't be bothered to actually know anything about the people they are buying gifts for. Throwing money at the problem is no cure for being thoughtless.

Anonymous Coward

I wanted a Nexus 7

got an iPad Mini :-(

Already sent it back.

Thumb Up

Re: I wanted a Nexus 7

I can trump that- I got a Monopoly Set- The Alan Turing edition.

Yeeeah baby.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.