RIM handed Nokia a first payment of €50m to put an end to the companies' patent disputes, and plans to pay ongoing royalty payments, the firm revealed in a filing with the Securities and Exchange Commission (SEC). The Canadian BlackBerry-maker settled with one-time mobile leader Nokia just before Christmas, but both companies …
That whole episode went swimmingly for RIM.
Yup. Needs small text warning - "Notice - Arbitrator may decide that your payment must go up as well as down".
The floodgates are opened.....
Well if it is secret why do we know about it?
Was it to protect share prices in RIM or has there been some insider info/dealing that they wanted to keep it secret?
It's like Samsung-Apple all over again... except smaller...
... I'll get me coat.
Likely for real technical patents, not slide to unlock, round corners, and square icons.
Fiscal third quarter 2013?
Can't help wondering if this is just putting off the inevitable... for both companies.
Who is then the real innovator?
If the royalty payments are to Nokia, isn't Nokia then the real innovator?
Re: Who is then the real innovator?
Maybe in the past. With HW.
Meh, no one cares about RIM or Nokia anymore......
I wonder if they will be paying more because BB X is just a UP ripoff off of the Swipe UI from Nokia used on their MeeGo handsets.
- Review This is why we CAN have nice things: Samsung Galaxy Alpha
- Hey, YouTube lovers! How about you pay us, we start paying for STUFF? - Google
- MEN: For pity's sake SLEEP with LOTS of WOMEN - and avoid Prostate Cancer
- Ex-Soviet engines fingered after Antares ROCKET launch BLAST
- Vid BONFIRE of the MEGA-BUCKS: $200m+ BURNED in SECONDS in Antares launch blast