Feeds

back to article What's THAT, you say? Apple MIGHT be making a NEW iPHONE, iOS?

Apple is now testing the next version of its iPhone and accompanying software, according to developers or anyone with an ounce of common sense. Third-party programmers have claimed a gadget identifying itself as an "iPhone 6.1" running "iOS 7" has turned up in usage log files, which record information about the devices used to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Thumb Down

Really?

"So the question here is not if Apple are developing a new iPhone, that’s obvious, the question is why let people know it's happening.

To which the answer is almost as obvious: so they'll write about it and keep the frenetic interest in all things Apple bubbling along until there's some real news to report."

And you did. The better question is why do you fall for it, each and every time?

Re: Really?

Why?...because someone will comment enthusiastically or dolorously, each and every time.

FAIL

Totally agree with you here Zaphod. And we fell for it too. Come on Reg., I'm sure any iArticle is going to generate loads of traffic from us iVictims, but it does really piss us off and weakens your brand over time if what you are reporting on isn't actually news. Stop thinking so much about your advertising revenues and BITE THE HAND.

Silver badge
Meh

Will it come with Maps?

Anonymous Coward

Which manufacturer is not developing a new phone?

Answers on the back of a stamp please....

This article is stating the bleeding obvious...

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Really?

"what you are reporting on isn't actually news"

Apologies if the sarcasm was too subtle, but the point of Bill's story and the headline is that the web screaming that "Apple is making another iPhone" is akin to "Disney is making another movie".

C.

Silver badge
Facepalm

"Stop thinking so much about your advertising revenues and BITE THE HAND."

And you don't think a massively sarcastic article about Apple hype is doing just that?

"Disney is making another movie".

Really! Wow! When's it out?

I think the point of Bill's story was to fill a slow news day. The sarcasm wasn't subtle but then neither was the irony. Still, thanks for posting *something* to read today! :)

If I ever own a proper company I'm going to send press releases out on 2nd Jan. Can't fail.

(Written by Reg staff) Silver badge

Re: Re: Really?

"The sarcasm wasn't subtle but then neither was the irony"

Tough crowd.

C.

This post has been deleted by its author

FAIL

Sarcasm/irony detector fail?

As title...

Re: WTF !?!

I'm going to guess you're American as you utterly missed that joke...

'Standards are the enemy of innovation' --$teve Job$

Silver badge
WTF?

@A Non e-mouse - yup, selectively quoting and missing off the end of that paragraph (namely "not that anyone sane was suggesting that") is a clever way of getting a different point across. Or did you just stop reading at that point and rush to the comments?

Anonymous Coward

"I'm going to guess you're American as you utterly missed that joke..."

I'm going to guess you're British since you're so keen on flaunting your superiority complex.

Trollface

Re: WTF !?! @AC 10:45 GMT

truth hurts doesn't it

I'm actually interested in the new iPhone

Not because I'll be buying one, I have a 5 that I got as a reasonable cost upgrade on my old 4, but because this will be the first utterly Jobs-Free device Apple have done in years. This will be the one that proves whether the magic was in Apple or Jobs...

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm actually interested in the new iPhone

but it won't be Job's free, 99% will still be the same old stuff with some new shiny bits added on.

The shiny bits: an upgrade of an OS cloned off an almost 50 year-old OS.

The excitement builds...

Anonymous Coward

http://onscreencars.com/tv/the-homer-the-car-built-for-homer/

Silver badge
Devil

@danR2

"...an OS cloned off an almost 50 year-old OS..."

In much the same way that next year's offerings from Ferrari, Porsche, Bentley & Rolls-Royce are powered by a clone of a 129 year-old power plant?**

Pure sophistry^ old lad - and you (should) know it.

**1884: British engineer Edward Butler constructed the first petrol (gasoline) internal combustion engine. Butler invented the spark plug, magneto, coil ignition and spray jet carburetor, and was the first to use the word petrol.

^Pure sophistry:- a more polite and restrained way of saying "Utter bollocks"

Anonymous Coward

"This will be the one that proves whether the magic was in Apple or Jobs..."

Who gives a shit?

Sounds like Jobs knob'd all of his followers. Well, they are all knobs anyway, so no harm done.

Silver badge

The shiny bits: an upgrade of an OS cloned off an almost 50 year-old OS.

And this will be different from the next upgrade of Android how, exactly?

Anonymous Coward

Re: @danR2

**1884: British engineer Edward Butler constructed the first petrol (gasoline) internal combustion engine. Butler invented the spark plug, magneto, coil ignition and spray jet carburetor, and was the first to use the word petrol.

--------------------------------

It's pronounced gasoline

Headmaster

"And this will be different from the next upgrade of Android how, exactly?"

Pedantically speaking, it's different cause while Android is cloned off an almost 50 year old OS, iOS is actually forked.

Something like UNIX > BSD > NeXTStep > OS X > iOS, or . . . something like that.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Re: Only one?

maybe the iPhone just needs to tighten share then.

They don't have just one phone, they are currently selling iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, iPhone 5.

Especially as the iPhone 4/S and iPhone 5 have different screen sizes. Granted they have only one 'latest' model.

But their market share is small these days; this is important if you are wanting to attract app developers, who often only have time to develop one platform, they may well choose Android due to sheer numbers.

Facepalm

Re: Only one? @mark1978

Don't forget the iPod Touch. Whenever you talk about apps, you have to consider all devices running iOS.

Anonymous Coward

What BS as it's been reported that the iDevice market is far more profitable. Android may have the volume but most Android users I know use their phones mainly for calls and texts - many do not even have data tariffs which should explain a lot.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge

Indeed - and there was also a switch in resolution from the first models to "4", and between 4S and "5". And there have I believe been at least two resolutions for the non-mini ipads. So if we look at different resolutions and sizes, I count at least 6 combinations. At that point, any hope of "write for one device" goes out the window, and you're better off with a UI that scales to a range of sizes/resolutions, as encouraged on Android. This also works better when new devices are released (compare with the release of the ipad, and now ipad mini, where existing software wasn't been written for it).

Anonymous Coward

@Mark.

The fragmentation of Android has much to offer.....

Anonymous Coward

"But their market share is small these days; this is important if you are wanting to attract app developers, who often only have time to develop one platform, they may well choose Android due to sheer numbers."

Or maybe as professional developers, they'll stick with where the profits are rather than developing solely for the "free as in not paying" ideology? Then devs have a lovely double stream source of income - freemium and advertising from Droid and paid for via iOS?

I can see hobbyist one man band Devs choosing one or the other, but professional developers will, I think, back both horses.

Silver badge

@Mark - multiple iDevice resolutions

Yes, this is a bit of a problem, but as the devices will older resolutions age they'll eventually no longer need to be worried about by app writers. Would someone developing a high end game that needs the graphics power of the iPhone 4S or 5 need to worry about supporting a 480x320 screen? Nope. Facebook needs to care about it, but at some point iOS updates won't support the 3gs, so if Facebook makes newer versions of their app require that iOS version, the 480x320 devices will keep using the older Facebook app and the newer versions of the app will only need to worry about Retina screens.

So it's unlikely app developers will ever need to worry about more screen dimensions they do currently, as any newer screen dimensions (from say a phablet type iPhone) would come around the time you'd eliminate one of the older ones.

Apple could do a more major update to iOS at some point and have it use Quartz for full resolution independence like OS X does. That they didn't do this when iOS first came out could have been due to battery life concerns from the computational load, but now CPUs in phones are far more powerful and efficient so it may be a reasonable thing to do.

Silver badge

Why just two? If you want to cover as many platforms, and acknowledge that it isn't simply just about market share, then there are more than just two platforms (and the current situation of IOS being in second place is very much a recentism - historically it was way behind, and those other platforms still have large installed userbases, and may still do very well on stats like profit, or downloads per developer - I get 100x the downloads on Symbian compared to Android, for example).

But the OP was talking about if you just had to pick one - and sadly, there are still people who pick one, but go for iphone. Even when we're talking about free apps from professional developers, so the alleged argument about profit, or being from an individual, doesn't work. (E.g., all of the website-wrapper apps to offer people a company's services on a phone. Though then again, anyone with a competent smartphone doesn't need an "app" to access a website.)

Silver badge

Re: @Mark - multiple iDevice resolutions

Well I'm not saying it's an difficult problem, just that the advantages of "single model" aren't there, and it's no worse than other platforms like Android.

"So it's unlikely app developers will ever need to worry about more screen dimensions they do currently, as any newer screen dimensions (from say a phablet type iPhone) would come around the time you'd eliminate one of the older ones."

Even currently, there are still 4 sizes (the 4/4S is still in widespread use), and I think at least 3 resolutions?

Plus look at it from the other way - suppose I wrote an application a few years ago, isn't it better that all the existing applications Just Work, rather than breaking (or needing some horrendous hack, or leaving blank space)? If a new model is released, I want it to work out of the box, not have to rewrite all my apps. This is bad for both developers and users.

"Apple could do a more major update to iOS at some point and have it use Quartz for full resolution independence like OS X does. That they didn't do this when iOS first came out could have been due to battery life concerns from the computational load, but now CPUs in phones are far more powerful and efficient so it may be a reasonable thing to do."

Wait - are you telling me that the IOS API *doesn't* have a UI toolkit with resolution independence? What, are apps specifying coordinates like it's 1990 again?

The low CPU power argument doesn't really hold - the iphones have always been high end devices, and Symbian has had Qt (with still excellent battery life) that runs on even mid-range phones from 2008 (e.g., Nokia 5800 with 433MHz ARM11, no GPU).

Anonymous Coward

@Eadon Odd that you seem to want Google to be the only phone and continually bang on about how MS/Apple are awful, yet you also say that MS' perceived desktop monopoly is also awful.

Competition is best for the market, it keeps all the competitors on their toes.

WTF?

Can't believe you didn't just ask

I read the article twice, and there's no mention of you asking Apple for comment.

I mean, you never know: Apple might have told you all about it, if you'd only asked.

Anonymous Coward

What does it remove this time?

I wonder what previously working services they will replace with Apple home grown rubbish this time around?

You can also bet it will come with a Android 360 degree photosphere copy too... I just hope they follow the open specs of photosphere, rather than the usual Apple way of creating things inferior and incompatible.

https://developers.google.com/panorama/metadata/

and in other news

Researchers find conclusive proof that Bears do Sh*t in the woods.

Vatican confirms Pope is a catholic.

Re: and in other news

SCIENCE has also discovered the following:

Sun - 'hot'

Supernova - 'bright'

Silver badge
FAIL

Or

It could be that Apple are redoing the UI so it can do widgets, live data in tiles, live wallpaper etc etc

These will of course be completely new and patentable just like page turns in books.........

Move along non fanbois once agin there is nothing new to see here just the same old same old redone in a slightly different way with Bing and Facebook doing it all for you.......

Re: Or

@Big_Ted: You mean like they've had in the OS X desktop for seven years?

Silver badge
FAIL

Apple PR keeping common-or-garden cell phone in the media

I would have thought El Reg would have had something better to do than giving free publicity to Apple.who micro-manages almost everything that 'leaks' out.

Bet the purchasers of V5/iOS6 feel real happy that their recent purchases are now depreciating. Obviously Apply doesn't give a bucket of spit about it's customers.

At least they are keeping that part of the Job's 'legacy'. Wonder what they are going to do about the Scratchy Back feature?

Silver badge

Re: Apple PR keeping common-or-garden cell phone in the media

>I would have thought El Reg would have had something better to do than giving free publicity to Apple.who micro->manages almost everything that 'leaks' out.

-Surely every company that wishes to maximise profits (read: all of them) should put as much care into its public perception? I went to the cinema last night and saw an ASUS advertisement featuring Megan Fox talking to dolphins... WTF?

>Bet the purchasers of V5/iOS6 feel real happy that their recent purchases are now depreciating. Obviously >Apply doesn't give a bucket of spit about it's customers.

-I'm pretty sure that people who buy MK.V of a successful product line know that there will be a MK.VI at some point. Sorry, but as long as I have been buying computers, a faster model has always been available for less a few months after I've stumped up my cash. How is this different? A product's ability to do the job for which it was sold remains unaffected just because a later model is released.

Silver badge
Happy

Re: Apple PR keeping common-or-garden cell phone in the media

-I'm pretty sure that people who buy MK.V of a successful product line know that there will be a MK.VI at some point. Sorry, but as long as I have been buying computers, a faster model has always been available for less a few months after I've stumped up my cash.

So, still a long way to go before it reaches the processing power and advanced graphics of a MK14 then!

Screen Size??

Is it going to be 4.7 inches? HTC, Samsung, LG, and Sony are all such copycats of apple for making phones with the screen size apple had planned for late 2013

Rob
Bronze badge

Or maybe...

"So the question here is not if Apple are developing a new iPhone, that’s obvious, the question is why let people know it's happening.

To which the answer is almost as obvious: so they'll write about it and keep the frenetic interest in all things Apple bubbling along until there's some real news to report."

... they needed to bump up their share price after it took a slight knock last year.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.