back to article Australia’s biggest IT moments of 2012

2012 will end for Vulture South, The Reg’s antipodean outpost, before it does so in our other bureaux. We’re therefore in retrospective-writing mode before our colleagues have even begun to contemplate whether the boss thinks leaving the office at 2:00PM on Christmas Eve is taking the piss. That gives us some time to explain why …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Black Helicopters

East island goings on?

Any New Zealand happenings you might care to mention? We on the east island have done some work this year...

Helicopter as I'm off to my tramping hut in Otago shortly

Re: East island goings on?

Dotcom vs. US/NZ Govt antics would surpass any of the West Island items mentioned.

fabulus story - how do I opt out?

I love my antipodean cousins.. indeed, I've had many a lover from far south of the equator, best served by the Queensland and northern territories air service

but with all due respect, how do I de-subscribe from the Register Southern-Service?

Agreed, to many it's fascinating - nah, even important... fabulous. I wish them the very best.. I just don't want to have to filter my European news for it... Am I wrong? OK, beat me with a soft swishy-cane.. I can handle-it...

Just gimme the Opt-Aut-button....

Silver badge

I don't get it.

a weird pre-launch ritual

Dunno, I've seen really weird shit happen on some of the work christmas parties I've been to.

These Apple staff are boring in comparison.

Then again, perhaps sensibly, alcohol had NOT been served at the launch...

WTF?

To paraphrase Arthur Dent

"This is obviously some strange usage of the word 'Antipodean' that I was previously unaware of"

The OED offers "Of or pertaining to the opposite side of the world; esp. Australasian"

Collins suggest "from Australia or New Zealand"

M-W says "often used of Australia and New Zealand as contrasted to the western hemisphere"

But according to the authoritative final word on matters lexical, El Reg, it seems that "antipodean" is an exact synonym for "Australian". Period.

There have been some pretty significant stories of an El Reg nature (both with and without an IT angle) that happened on the non-penal side of the Tasman. A pity that no one would learn that from reading Vulture South's wrap of "antipodean" news.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums