back to article RIM writes Nokia a fat cheque as pair bury the patent hatchet

Peace has broken out between patent battling firms Nokia and RIM: the pair have signed a technology licensing agreement that will kill off all litigation between them. Nokia announced that, as part of the deal, it will take a one-off payment as well as ongoing payments from the BlackBerry biz, but it wouldn't reveal any …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. dogged
    FAIL

Oh no, not again

Do we have to recap this again or is it fun to insinuate that Nokia are patent trolls when they're clearly not?

The Timeline

Nokia & RIM agree licensing of Nokia patents

RIM, after a couple of years, hit financial issues

RIM decides Nokia patents (which they agreed to license at this cost) are overpriced.

RIM takes Nokia to arbitration

Arbitrator says "actually, you're not paying Nokia enough".

The Reg repeatedly makes Nokia out to be a patent troll.

1. ukgnome

Re: Oh no, not again

Agreed - Nokia probably has a fair wedge of patents as it was once the world leader in mobile comms. Seems only fair that they benefit from it.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Oh no, not again

Nokia are still the mobile leader in terms of technology - e..g the Lumia 920 is a long way ahead of anything in the Apple or Android worlds - but just not in sales - they are second world wide now I think.

2. tmTM

I'm surprised

They've not gone after everyone, as Apple have.

Seems to be a decent way of getting money in the door, doesn't seemed to have hurt their reputation or bottom line either.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm surprised, because your a dick

They went after Apple in 2011, Apple agreed to pay them.

Also Apple never sued palm, anyone using Symbian or anthing from microsoft, RIMM, anyone using javaMobile or Google. I would ask you how many companies have Apple sued but it's clear you havn't got a clue.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Two companies in life support

agreeing not to bother fighting...

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

"Nokia is suffering in the smartphone popularity stakes"

Are they really?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1014081-nokia-so-how-are-lumia-920-sales-going

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

While I agree that the 920 seems to be selling very strongly, SeekingAlpha is a cesspool of stock-pumpers at best, and uninformed fanboys at worst. Believe absolutely nothing you read there.

Actually, the same goes for WallStreet Cheat Sheet and the Motley Fool and all the other "crowd-sourced" stock analysis sites. One day, if they get their act together and shape up, these sites might become a wretched hive of scum an villainy.

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

fact-free article, that

All that is says is that various outlets are out of stock. One could hazard a guess that production is limited by the fancy camera (which despite the fake advertising is clearly ahead of its competition - just not as far ahead as the adverts portrayed it).

So it could be doing well, but on the other side of the coin if the sales numbers were really impressive Nokia would put out an immediate press release (something like "3 million 920s sold in first 3 weeks!!!") which would be a more effective way of stoking the hype machine.

With claims of "sold out" there is no useful info unless backed by a statement along the lines of "we had X many but now we are sold out".

1. RICHTO
        Mushroom

Nokia WP Sales are climbing

There are plenty of articles with more details, now that the most recent last 3 months Kantar figures were published. And don't forget that WP8 has only been available for about 1 of those 3 months. WP is currently at about 3-12% market share over the last 3 months depending on the location.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/12/21/windows-phone-now-third-most-popular-platform-in-u-s/

http://bgr.com/2012/12/21/windows-phone-growth-analysis-262829/

WP will also have overtaken Blackberry in most markets by the end of 2012.

4. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Right now RIM is the MySpace of the phone world. If they can pull their collective heads out of their collective arses they might be able to recover the company. If they do so, they will gain my unrestrained admiration and a full apology for ever doubting them.

However, I suspect they are too deep in the hole and have too many past strikes against them. Unless their QNX OS pulls them out of the nose dive it will make a terrible mess.

5. Lars Silver badge
    Pint

fat cheque

The definition, Please.

1. dogged

Re: fat cheque

Robert Maxwell?

1. Kristian Walsh Silver badge

Re: fat cheque

dobrý!

6. Andus McCoatover
    Pint

"chief intellectual property officer at Nokia, said in a canned statement"

Would that be two cans connected by a long bit of string between Nokia and RIM? Just wondered. Sorry.

Pint, 'cos it's Christmas-ish.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like