Feeds

back to article RIM writes Nokia a fat cheque as pair bury the patent hatchet

Peace has broken out between patent battling firms Nokia and RIM: the pair have signed a technology licensing agreement that will kill off all litigation between them. Nokia announced that, as part of the deal, it will take a one-off payment as well as ongoing payments from the BlackBerry biz, but it wouldn't reveal any details …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Silver badge
FAIL

Oh no, not again

Do we have to recap this again or is it fun to insinuate that Nokia are patent trolls when they're clearly not?

The Timeline

Nokia & RIM agree licensing of Nokia patents

RIM, after a couple of years, hit financial issues

RIM decides Nokia patents (which they agreed to license at this cost) are overpriced.

RIM takes Nokia to arbitration

Arbitrator says "actually, you're not paying Nokia enough".

The Reg repeatedly makes Nokia out to be a patent troll.

Silver badge

Re: Oh no, not again

Agreed - Nokia probably has a fair wedge of patents as it was once the world leader in mobile comms. Seems only fair that they benefit from it.

I'm surprised

They've not gone after everyone, as Apple have.

Seems to be a decent way of getting money in the door, doesn't seemed to have hurt their reputation or bottom line either.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Silver badge
Black Helicopters

@Eadon - then presumably the arbitration service that RIM took Nokia to (not vice versa) are also patent trolling or perhaps it's an enormous conspiracy and only you and Barry Shitpeas know the truth?

You bore me.

Also, you forgot to call me a shill. That's rare.

Anonymous Coward

Nokia are still the mobile leader in terms of technology - e..g the Lumia 920 is a long way ahead of anything in the Apple or Android worlds - but just not in sales - they are second world wide now I think.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I'm surprised, because your a dick

They went after Apple in 2011, Apple agreed to pay them.

Also Apple never sued palm, anyone using Symbian or anthing from microsoft, RIMM, anyone using javaMobile or Google. I would ask you how many companies have Apple sued but it's clear you havn't got a clue.

Anonymous Coward

Two companies in life support

agreeing not to bother fighting...

Anonymous Coward

"Nokia is suffering in the smartphone popularity stakes"

Are they really?

http://seekingalpha.com/article/1014081-nokia-so-how-are-lumia-920-sales-going

Silver badge

While I agree that the 920 seems to be selling very strongly, SeekingAlpha is a cesspool of stock-pumpers at best, and uninformed fanboys at worst. Believe absolutely nothing you read there.

Actually, the same goes for WallStreet Cheat Sheet and the Motley Fool and all the other "crowd-sourced" stock analysis sites. One day, if they get their act together and shape up, these sites might become a wretched hive of scum an villainy.

Anonymous Coward

fact-free article, that

All that is says is that various outlets are out of stock. One could hazard a guess that production is limited by the fancy camera (which despite the fake advertising is clearly ahead of its competition - just not as far ahead as the adverts portrayed it).

So it could be doing well, but on the other side of the coin if the sales numbers were really impressive Nokia would put out an immediate press release (something like "3 million 920s sold in first 3 weeks!!!") which would be a more effective way of stoking the hype machine.

With claims of "sold out" there is no useful info unless backed by a statement along the lines of "we had X many but now we are sold out".

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Nokia WP Sales are climbing

There are plenty of articles with more details, now that the most recent last 3 months Kantar figures were published. And don't forget that WP8 has only been available for about 1 of those 3 months. WP is currently at about 3-12% market share over the last 3 months depending on the location.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/kellyclay/2012/12/21/windows-phone-now-third-most-popular-platform-in-u-s/

http://bgr.com/2012/12/21/windows-phone-growth-analysis-262829/

WP will also have overtaken Blackberry in most markets by the end of 2012.

Anonymous Coward

Right now RIM is the MySpace of the phone world. If they can pull their collective heads out of their collective arses they might be able to recover the company. If they do so, they will gain my unrestrained admiration and a full apology for ever doubting them.

However, I suspect they are too deep in the hole and have too many past strikes against them. Unless their QNX OS pulls them out of the nose dive it will make a terrible mess.

Silver badge
Pint

fat cheque

The definition, Please.

Silver badge

Re: fat cheque

Robert Maxwell?

Silver badge

Re: fat cheque

dobrý!

Silver badge
Thumb Down

@Eadon Re: "Microsoft the patent troll - and it's slave, Nokia" Since anybody with more......

............than two neurones firing at the same time is perfectly well aware that Nokia got itself into the shit well before the "sweaty, chair-throwing, fat bastard's bum-boy, Elop" (as he is so affectionately and objectively known amongst the gold card members of the Anti-Micro$oft Choral Howling Society) came anywhere near the Finnish company one would have thought you had better things to do than post that kind of crap. Nokia is not any kind of patent troll - they have never displayed the kind of behaviour that Cupertino have over the past two years, however you feel about the fact that they are now allied with Redmond.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: Microsoft the patent troll - and it's slave, Nokia

Speaking as an ex-S60 fella, that's a bit glib. Nokia's true innovation was always in hardware and bits of the stack so low-level that they may as well be hardware (radio signalling, etc). These patents are often "real" ie reflect real cleverness and are still relevant for producing phones as Nokia still does - to call this trolling simply debases the term. Of course I'm sure they're exercising other flimsy patents too because (a) when loading a blunderbuss you care more about the quantity of shit rammed down the muzzle than the quality and (b) all companies do this, otherwise their shareholders/boards should ask why they aren't pursuing returns (it's crap, but how the game is playing right now).

And as for Nokia software, well the organisation had been rotting for years, ever-larger, ever-slower, usability issues deflected with the mantra "works as designed" so that internal testers learnt not to bother raising defects, kludges bolted atop hacks to such a depth that down in the infernal gloom there might even be diamonds forming, though probably just coal from fossilised "software architects", still trapped in a strategising session... you can taste the disdain of the Kernel engineers that when required to add a mechanism for a process to be launched with yet bigger stacks to accommodate the newest reeking pile of shims and frameworks they called it "CreateWithStackOverride()" rather than just adding a third Create() overload.

So along with some excellent hardware guys Elop especially fired a load of people who though often individually bright and surprisingly often even still motivated were trapped in a dysfunctional hairball and producing too little value too late. Good riddance to us all! Think of it like a forest - once a tree is senescent all it does is lock up nutrients and block out light - let it fall, let it rot, let the good parts flow out to build newer and healthier things (for a while, till those plants in their turn become wizened)

Bronze badge
Mushroom

As Nokia and Microsoft both produce products that use their patents, how can they be trolls?

Anonymous Coward

Nokia got in trouble well before Microsoft. Example - something with which I had to deal nearly first-hand.

8 years ago (yes, 8 - long before Elop) in the local Nokia office nearby the BOFH was bying Sony Vaio and Sony monitors for IT kit and allocated the kit based on employee rank. So if you are let's say "grade 7" (numbers for example purporse only) you get a 21 inch monitor, if you are grade 8 - 23. If you were grade 6 you got only a single cpu machine and so on. If you are a manager you get multi-cpu, multi-core rig with a monitor the size of a small cinema screen, etc. That was in the days when a SMP desktop was a rarity and a SMP Vaio costed as much as a decent second hand car.

I know that first hand as I was juggling the architecture, Build/QA and BOFH hats in another local company. I allocated kit based on project needs which was OK until we hired a couple of people who have been through the local N office themselves or have had spouses or friends there. They tried to run a revolt and go to the CTO with the complaint that decent software companies should practice the aforementioned god-prescribed Nokia style "your kit depends on your developer grade" allocation method.

Frankly, after that all the tales of software clusterf*** coming out of Nokia do not surprise me. The BOFH practices which they preached were a hallmark sign of primadonna environment. Primadonnas do not do get work done (regardless of how many chandeliers you drop on their head). They just fight between themselves for the title of the first lady of the stage.

h/t to Mongo

Have to agree, Nokia were great with hardware, got my 3110 in 3-4th poorest country in asia (at the time). Worked out it must be a good phone because of a street vendor who had 8 of them and sold telephone calls, loved it, could make phone calls when people using Motorolas couldn't, we could be sitting at the same table and they would use my phone! Maybe that was a problem, I only had 2 phones in 11 years, they were so well designed, now after a lot of hints i got an iPhone last week, will get a couple more over xmas, hopefully i can take them back and get cash otherwise i will have to give them back and tell the girls "to late", still im gona miss my NOKIA, the iPhone is much better but you get a connection to your Nokia, it is reliable, dependable and can go through shit and still work. I would and have thrown my Nokia from the second story to a friend at ground level because i never worried about it not being able to survive, also cheep. Do that with my iPhone, fuck NO, it feels better, it is much better in terms of teck but it dosn't have the connection. Early days i guess but one thing that comes to mind is that Nokia built things that could go through mind feilds, Apple build thing that allow yo to go around.

Different companies, different ideas, both producing great products. Well until Elop. It's a real shame what has happened to them, Elop is such a dick he makes the stupid cow that ruined HP look smart. I just don't understand why he has done what he has done, i don't belive he is a MS stoodge, he used to work for Lotus! He is a prime example of the rule that people in managmeant prefere to hire people who they think are less capable than themselves. He has destroyed Nokia as a viable company, all they have is a reputation which is sinking rapidly and IP, I don't think Microsoft will buy them as he has got rid of the people worth employing so it will be a Nortel but this time Google wont be dicks. Apple can outbid Google and Microsoft combined, MS dont have the maket share not to team up with Apple and they have a cross licence deal so they wont sue each other anyway and Google will just be happy to nutralise Nokias patent. Samsung wont enter this as they need Google or Microsoft so the only thing left will be the Nokia tradmarks, who will buy those? LG?

If i was to gamble i would say Foxcom, they build everyone elses shit and Nokia is still a good brand. Still it is a shame, Nokia was a great company but unlike SONY, big in the 80's, a one trick pony :(

Bronze badge
Pint

"chief intellectual property officer at Nokia, said in a canned statement"

Would that be two cans connected by a long bit of string between Nokia and RIM? Just wondered. Sorry.

Pint, 'cos it's Christmas-ish.

This topic is closed for new posts.