back to article iPhone tops US market, but trounced by Android in world+dog

Apple's iPhone now accounts for over half of US smartphone sales, but in the UK and the rest of Europe – and the rest of the world, for that matter – Android phones still hold a healthy lead. "Apple has reached a major milestone in the US by passing the 50 per cent share mark for the first time, with further gains expected to …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

1. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

US vs other countries

"Losing the war" is a bit strong when you compare the size of the handset market in AU or GB compared to US. Do you have global numbers rather than picking and choosing small-ish countries?

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: US vs other countries

"but in the UK and the rest of Europe"

"picking and choosing small-ish countries"

Does not compute !

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

EU = Bigger market than US

GB was mentioned because... this is a British site!

I work in IT, and what I find as a generalisation is that Americans I work with own iPhones in general the British own Android......

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Yeah because you're probably up north where no one has money just as the of Europe is in the shitter so cheap junk is what the people will buy. Where as places like Cambridge are chock full of iPhones.

1. Mark .

Most people I know in Cambridge have Android.

Note that iphones often seem more widespread, but for some reason Apple users seem far more likely to walk around holding their iphone or ipod in front of them, where as everyone else sticks in in their pocket. Also it's far more easier to recognise, due to the fewer models, and the ridiculous obvious Apple logo all over it. So you notice the one or two iphone users when walking somewhere, but you don't notice the 100 Android users.

With the S3 alone outselling the Apple flagship, it's clear that it's a myth that Android sales are mainly coming from cheaper sales. Also consider that these days, many Apple sales come from cheaper models, because many of their sales come from older models still available (even the ancient 3GS I've still seen on sale).

Plus, being cheap doesn't mean junk. It's well publicised how Apple has massive profit margins. Other manufacturers deliver what people want *and* do it at a lower price. Apple just pocket the profits for themselves.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Apple do have big profit margins but remember that is also because they have invested in their own stores (both online and physical) so do not have to share that margin.

Out of that they have to develop iOS (most of Android is a relatively simple re-badge), provide better support and provide iCloud services for free for the life of the device. Someone like Samsung has no physical stores I am aware of, support is typically by telephone or possibly from the retailer that sold it (although most lose interest in anything more than a DOA swap and / or after 30 days).

So it also comes down to you can buy a SIM free Galaxy S3 for about £100 less (once it has been discounted) than an iPhone 5. With the S3 you get ad supported (free) services from Google (not provided by Samsung). With the S3 you may get limited help from the retailer but it's nothing like the in-store setup / ongoing help you can get from Apple. Apple are still supporting the 3GS (in that it runs iOS 6) - it's around 4 years old - not confident Samsung will still provide the same for their devices after that time.

Samsung have to be cheaper but in reality £100 difference is a couple of pounds per month on a 2 year contract and if the Apple device lasts longer or is worth more at the end of its contract (to sell / trade in against the next) there may be no difference at all.

2. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

"Note that iphones often seem more widespread, but for some reason Apple users seem far more likely to walk around holding their iphone or ipod in front of them, where as everyone else sticks in in their pocket"

Due to the fact androids use real bluetooth so a headset is the prefered method of not having to display and therefore "lose" your handset to the local drug / mugger / youth crowd

2. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

Ah Cambridge... 20% socially inept, egotistical students who have no genuine need for a phone.10% technical types who work in the technology park and mainly use Android. 10% rich types who will buy the most expensive phone offered regardless of its capabilities. 60% drugged up types who use Blackberry or Symbian, if anything.

Anecdotal obviously.

3. Avatar of They
          Thumb Up

Lol, the cambridge I know (quite well) is full of foreingers, tourists or imbred rich kids who don't know what technology is as long as it is 'super simple' because daddy bought it. Where universities have "bedders" because kids don't know how to make the bed themselves "the maid usually does that sort of thing" and the kids have pets like " apraying mantis' called portia." (I kid you not)

Yeah, really are the kind of people that can choose anything other than the MOST expensive fanboi item on the market. (With daddy's money) They are however a very small percentage of the UK market.

Some people just won't accept that Apple isn't seen as all that great once you get outside the US.

As for smallish countries, EU is bigger as a market share and the UK is one of the top ten economies on the planet (germany is another) so if they are not considered good things to compare then I don' know what is. The rest look like good choices from the rest of the continental areas.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

"I work in IT, and what I find as a generalisation is that Americans I work with own iPhones in general the British own Android..." because the phones are given away for free with extremely cheap contracts. That's not to say that Android is better than iOS or vice versa. However, to suggest that Brits and Europeans as a group generally "choose" Android in preference due to it's being superior is highly misleading; it's popular because it's cheap. This isn't ment a a slight, it is fact. It also worth noting that this not the same as saying that it's shit. When you look at a market where there is more parity in cost (like the USA) you see the share is far more even. Of course, the baying fandroids here won see that.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

If there was only one phone available and it either ran iOS or Android most people would choose iOS.

3. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Americans

Americans are finally coming to terms with the fact that Android phones are not as secure as they thought.

This is the backlash to all those spammy auto dialler malware aps...

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Americans

Where America leads.....

The rest of the World....

Says fu*k you...

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Americans

I have no issue with 'Android' - Google are playing a very good game with it. I have a few issues with Google and their data mining. But for people to be jumping all over Samsung when all they are doing is making the best Android phone (for now) in 6-12-18 months it will probably be someone else - Motorola perhaps?

I'm sure Americans would be happier buying a (US) Motorola than a (Korean) Samsung...?

3. Chris007
        Happy

Re: Americans @ anon coward 23:20 GMT

is here and anonymous again.

How big and brave of him/her (but likely some 23 yr old spotty bloke who thought his iDevice would get him laid but given how ugly he is even the Devil struggled to make hell freeze over for that one)

( yes, think I'll keep re-posting this until you decide to reveal yourself)

4. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

My theory is people who actively choose a smartphone mostly choose iPhone - whereas a large proportion of Android sales are to people who do not even know or care what they get - it's just part of a 'free' contract upgrade / renewal. Of all the Android phones I have seen many are used for little more than making calls and sending texts and some of the users even refer to them as 'i' phones - many have no data tariff or are on PAYG.

1. nuked
        FAIL

Great theory. Share with as many people as you can find.

2. Mike H.

you made that up :)

3. Mark .

So wait - Android is bad because people only get it "free" on contract, and it's bad because its users are on PAYG? Which is it?? And why don't either of these criticisms apply to iphones, is there some magic third way? (Well, I guess there's buy outright, and have a SIM only contract, but I don't see why that's better, nor is there any evidence that people do this more with Apple, and on any platform, a minority of people do it this way.)

My observation is that many people buying Apple phones just do so because they have no idea that other phones are available. Even more so for ipads, where 10" Android tablets are unheard of, whilst the entire media hyped the ipad even before it was announced.

And virtually everyone buying iphones are just getting them "free" on contract. My experience is that Android, aside from being far more popular anyway, is also full of users who know about the different kinds of smartphones - considered Apple, and turned it down.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

It's not Android is 'bad' because people get it free - it's just less of an informed choice - people are more likely to buy higher end phones after more consideration / research - people at the lower end get Android by default and probably don't really know or care.

"people buying Apple phones just do so because they have no idea that other phones are available"

What an absolute crock - as if you can not be aware other phones are available - that's like trying to convince someone the Ford Focus is the ONLY car.

2. rogerpjr

Shh... Don't tell A Nony Mouse, that he is an embarrasment to the gene pool. Facebook has just this month incentivized it's employees to DROP Apple and get Androids. WHY. Androids are being activated with a 2 to 1 ratio over Apple. Facebook. And Facebook wants it's LARGEST market to be experienced by it's employees.

Strictly BUSINESS. No emotion. Just facing the facts. Apple (ONE company ) against The DROIDS? With MORE (Panasonic, Toshiba, et al) coming? What, you think Apple will WIN this? No. AND it's only justice.

By the way, I built my 1st computer in 1983. Formed a company in '86. Just retired this year. I KEEP my skills up to date. AND only own Androids. Can't wait for the outcome of CES to make my next purchases. You can bet it WON'T be anything by that IP stealing Apple. I was at XEROX when we saw APPLE snuggle up to our west-coast campus at XEROX PARC then literally steal OUR IP. Laws were different then. If it were now, XEROX would OWN Apple. See, we HAD product shipping. Apple destroyed our market by selling at 20% of our price, our own ripped off IP. No justice. Sad really. Bus as I earlier said. Justice will legally rear it's head.

Anyway, for myself and all my associates ( all entreprenuers ), some with advanced degrees, we vote with our wallets. And all vote ANDROID. Spread the word.

Oh..And, I live in AMERICA... Quit embarrasing us. That's it..

'Nuff said.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

@rogerpjr

How come you're more upset at Apple for "stealing" Xerox IP when Microsoft also "stole" the IP (and arguably made a truckload more money doing it).

If Apple did "steal" it, how come Apple paid Xerox $1m in stock and why did they send engineers to Apple to help them implement the GUI?

Is it just possible that you never in fact worked for Xerox and that you are in truth a troll who thinks they have some kind of big story that once told will cause everyone to immediately stop buying Apple products because of some mysterious hate complex you have? I have news for you, those in the know are already aware that the "Apple stole Xerox IP" story is complete bunk.

Really, we get it, you don't like Apple.

4. Chet Mannly

"My theory is people who actively choose a smartphone mostly choose iPhone - whereas a large proportion of Android sales are to people who do not even know or care what they get"

Your theory is garbage - in fact many people wanting a smartphone go for an Android because it isn't locked down, and has more features, so you can do more "smart" things with it.

Plus, anecdotally I know of 8 people in the last 6 months that had iphones and have gone with Galaxy S III's - that doesn't fit under your fanboi view of the world.

1. Anonymous Coward
          Anonymous Coward

"...that doesn't fit under your fanboi view of the world." Or perhaps you are one of those tiresome droning fandroids that is obsessed with Apple. Looking at your posting history this does indeed seem to be the case.

5. John Bailey
        Happy

"My theory is people who actively choose a smartphone mostly choose iPhone"

And mine is that iFanboys are desperately grasping at straws as Apple inevitably head back to niche status.

Never mind sweetie.. Just say that market share is meaningless. And tell us again about Apple's market cap..

5. Chet Mannly

"Do you have global numbers rather than picking and choosing small-ish countries?"

As the article said (if you'd bothered to actually read it) the survey took in 5 Euro countries including the UK and Spain (not small countries), Brazil (emerging, but big market) and Australia (small, but large penetration in terms of smartphones).

Europe, USA, Oceania, South America is a pretty comprehensive chunk of the mobile phone using world. Just be thankful the researchers didn't include stats from Asia fanboi - that would really show an ugly picture for Apple...

6. Daniel B.

I'd also consider how the stuff goes on Brazil. Other than being the only country that doesn't talk Spanish in Latin America, well, they're part of Latin America. Which as a whole outnumbers the US as a market.

And guess what? Android rules this market as well. It used to be BlackBerry, but in the last year they've moved on to BlackBerry. Yes, a few have gone iPhone but most of 'em have gone Android.

Apple will eventually lose the smartphone war. Hopefully they'll lose the "patent trolling" war as well.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Is this sales or shipped?

Because Samsung seems to be replacing quite a few (66 page thread @ XDA Developers) Galaxy S3 which die for no reason after just 200 days.

Samsung is reportedly quietly replacing faulty Galaxy S III devices according to many users on XDA Developers. The issue appears to be related to the NAND becoming corrupted and killing off the Galaxy S III’s mainboard, which causes the phone to essentially “brick” itself. Users have reported the issues have affected some devices after 150-200 days after purchase. Users on XDA Developers and Reddit are also saying Samsung is replacing affected smartphones (rooted or not) with new ones that could potentially be just as faulty in another 200 days.

Linky: http://www.androidauthority.com/galaxy-s3-sudden-death-mainboard-issue-141783/

1. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Re: Is this sales or shipped?

If you 'feel' the S3 it's just cheap compared to an iPhone 5 and when you factor in the service Samsung is miles behind. My colleague was not impressed when he was without his Samsung for over 3 weeks when it developed a fault - when my iPhone did (camera lens got dislodged and to be fair probably cause by a heavy drop) took it back to the Apple Store - 20 minutes later fixed. Another colleague had a 3GS that developed a tiny crack near the dock connector - they just replaced it with a brand new one there and then.

1. Mike H.

All paid for by the extraordinary price they charge for some of their hardware.

2. Chet Mannly

"If you 'feel' the S3 it's just cheap compared to an iPhone 5 and when you factor in the service Samsung is miles behind. My colleague was not impressed when he was without his Samsung for over 3 weeks when it developed a fault -"

The prices of the GS3 and the iphone are virtually the same - the iphone is getting its a$$ kicked because Apple has done absolutely nothing with the interface or abilities of the iphone since it allowed apps. If anything (see: maps) they have made things worse for petty business reasons.

I wasn't impressed when I had to book a week in advance, take an afternoon off work and drive 20km's out of the CBD to talk to a "genius" to get my 3GS fixed.

Took my original Galaxy to a dealer 2 doors from my work, took all of 3 minutes and had the phone back that afternoon working fine.

Maybe Apple's service is OK overseas, but its absolute rubbish in Australia, far worse than what Samsung offered the 1 time I had to have my phone looked at.

PS - Apple don't replace phones under warranty with new phones - you get a refurb - so that "new" 3GS was actually a broken one someone had already returned, and Apple fixed up

1. Toastan Buttar
          WTF?

"My colleague was not impressed when he was without his Samsung for over 3 weeks when it developed a fault"

The thing with any non-iPhone is that you simply pop the SIM out and slot it into another device (like a simple mobile, feature phone, or other Android smartphone) on the same network. We've got about 6 or 7 eligible Orange (sorry, EE) devices kicking around at home which would accept the SIM from a Samsung without skipping a beat.

iPhone of any vintage - not so much of an option...

2. Anonymous Coward
      Anonymous Coward

Samsung or Samdung as they should really be called.

Full access to memory from a /dev in the kernel. NAND corruption, a special number you can dial to wipe the device. Have a missed anything?

Hardly a quality product is it? oh but it can detect your face and turn off the screen when you're not looking at it? whoopee do, that's hardly of any use when it won't turn on any more.

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Samsung are offering products that seem largely (at least originally) copied from Apple - appear to be lesser quality / less well made and poor service - sounds a bargain.

If my phone broke I would need a replacement almost immediately - not in a matter of weeks from now - if I got a Samsung and it went faulty (not if but when I should add) I would end up buying a replacement = expensive business. At least with Apple your phone goes faulty and the resolve it very quickly either by mail or one of their stores.

A friends iPhone developed a fault - he called them on Monday afternoon - on Tuesday a pre-paid return package arrived - it went back Tuesday afternoon - Apple confirmed it arrived Wednesday - posted out a replacement on Wednesday (same day turn around!) and he got it on Thursday morning. You can't really ask for more than that unless he had booked an appointment at a store and they would have swapped it there and then.

1. DavCrav

Just wondering why the two Apple shills above posted AC?

1. Frank Bough
            FAIL

I see, if they don't share your prejudices they're shills. Nicely reasoned.

1. Anonymous Coward
              Anonymous Coward

No, they're shills because of their spin. Apple replaces masses of faulty phones but when they do it's just "good customer service".

2. Dana W

Its true, they replace your warranty phone in minutes not days or weeks. like most Android manufacturers.

You can see my the many thumbs down that this is a sore point with android users.

3. garbo
            Devil

And incoherent shills at that. More wit needed.

2. Chet Mannly

"Samsung are offering products that seem largely (at least originally) copied from Apple "

What complete and utter garbage. I'm so sick of this "you can't make a phone that's a rectangle because Apple did it". Its just Apples MO - drag every competitor that dares beat you into court.

You DO realise Apple's patents are being thrown out at the moment don't you? Pinch to Zoom is now toast, hopefully this stupid "rounded corners" lunacy will go next.

"If my phone broke I would need a replacement almost immediately - not in a matter of weeks from now - if I got a Samsung and it went faulty (not if but when I should add) I would end up buying a replacement"

Then you'd be a moron (or more likely an Apple shill!!)

1. vic 4

Re: hopefully this stupid "rounded corners" lunacy will go next

It already is. Nowhere where Apple has tried this in court has anyone found curved corners on a competitors device infringing on their trade dress/design patents. But the fact that even tried it on is despicable.

3. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Android phones running 2.3 still being sold

So will the Fandroids stop complaining about IOS versions and obsolescence.

I got a new Galaxy Mini for a family member as a Christmas Present. I was shocked to find that it is still running Android 2.3. Now I'll have to flash it with Cyanogen to make it half decent.

The other thing is that I found that the HTC (while it sucks) mods to the UI are much more usable than the Samsung ones (at the same Android revision).

1. csumpi
      Mushroom

Re: Android phones running 2.3 still being sold

Why does it matter? Android 2.3 still has more features than iOS6. Maybe once we get to, I don't know, like iOS10, you can start complaining about Android 2.3.

1. Dana W
        Trollface

I'm sure someday we can hope to aspire to Android's superior levels of malware. Till then we can only dream.

1. ShadowedOne
          Trollface

"Till then we can only dream."

You might want to focus on waking up..

1. Dana W

If that means a plastic HTC Ill stay where I am thanks.

2. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

That argument is a non starter - Android 2.3 is old - you buy a new device you want the current OS. Even my 4 year old iPhone 3GS can run iOS 6 so from a security and feature point of view I am still able to 'use' the phone.

iOS has such a huge number of apps available and the OS does basically everything almost all users could need so your feature argument is irrelevant.

1. chipxtreme
          WTF?

Actually your 3GS runs a cut down version of ios 6 compared to the version that is on the iphone 5.

I've got two really old android phones here which while officially will never go higher than the 2.3.7 they were supplied with, they both are running cyanogenmod 4.1.2 which has transformed the phones.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Yes it runs a cut down version, that's due to lack of memory and CPU speed. But you at least have the choice.

The 3GS was released over three years ago. three years and six months ago to be exact. The Android phone of that year was the HTC Hero which has only just got Android 2.3 thanks to enthusiasts.

1. Mark .

Comparing who gets what updates is pointless, when they run entirely different OSs. If a dumb phone always had the latest updates, that wouldn't make it better. What matters is how the features compare. And it seems apple users needed those updates to get things like maps and copy paste, that android 2.2 already had.

The things that are new in android 4 do seem to be things that need the newer hardware, all the simpler features are already there.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like