back to article 'NAND flash killer now up to 10,000 times MORE efficient'

MeRAM has the potential to succeed NAND flash as the best non-volatile sold state memory with DRAM-like speed, better-than-NAND endurance and density, and now it has taken a step forward, with UCLA research making the stuff 10 to 10,000 times more energy-efficient. UCLA boffins - led by Raytheon professor of electrical …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Gold badge
Go

dense, non volatile, fast?

No mention on cycle times.

It may just be an impression but I think magnetic based systems are more rad hard by the physics they depend on than other memory technologies.

Handy should you be planing a trip to Jupiter or shopping for the next generation control electronics on nuclear weapons.

Usual warning. This is a process, not a product. It's v 0.1 tech.

Boffin

I know you do it in part to wind up those who claim it's offensive (of which I'm not one) but perhaps the word "boffin" is a tad overused in this article?

Also, is it 10-10,000 or 10-1,000 more energy efficient?

Re: Boffin

*times

Oops!

Silver badge

Re: Boffin

I just wish they wouldn't repeat the same information over and over. The article was basically split into thirds, with each third repeating the previous third with slightly different wording. I mean this article could have been much much shorter if that hadn't occured.

Probably also why boffin came up so much.

"MeRAM has the potential to succeed NAND flash"

Except you only just reported that phase-change RAM is already being shipped in real devices. Perhaps you meant to say that MeRAM has the potential to succeed NAND's successor?

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2012/12/17/micron_pcm_asha/

Bronze badge

Re: "MeRAM has the potential to succeed NAND flash"

Yes I'm getting confused too. It would appear there is a number of very vast and nonvolatile memory technologies already used in real-world devices , e.g. http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2012/01/23/dell_lsi_mram/

Just healthy competition, I suppose.

Anonymous Coward

Re: "MeRAM has the potential to succeed NAND flash"

Then there's memristor and graphene etc.

It doesn't really make sense to spend too much money on anything right now.

Anonymous Coward

10-10,000 times

yeah, what's a few powers of ten when you're trying to work out if it'll be cost-effective?

Anonymous Coward

The computer world has come full circle and is now back to magnetic core memory.

Silver badge

only with teeny tiny cores this time round.

This post has been deleted by its author

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums