Feeds

back to article EU launches formal Microsoft privacy policy probe

The European Union has opened a formal investigation into whether recent changes to Microsoft's Services Agreement are in violation of EU data privacy law. Privacy regulators informed the software giant of the probe in a letter sent to Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer and the head of the company's Luxembourg division, dated December …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Bronze badge

"...to the extent necessary..."

I'm guessing the problem rests largely with this bit.

Anonymous Coward

Same as Google, Instagram, Facebook and everyone else. They're always trying to grab your data for their own use.

Silver badge

And the rest

With the to-do over orphaned works and the land-grab being made by some to profit off the sweat of others without having to offer them any remunerations; is this any surprise?

By all means use social media; but always tag your pictures and only upload reduced quality. If people think your work is good, get them to come and pay you.

Anonymous Coward

Oh goodie...

I hope they tot up the obscene protection money the US government has been extorting from UBS/HSBC/BP/Toyota et al and adds it on to the fine Microsoft get to pay for fucking over the worlds computer users.

WTF?

The subtlety of Microsoft.

"It's a subtle distinction, perhaps – and in fact, one that Microsoft claims doesn't exist at all."

Ummm, if a difference doesn't exist, then why did MSFT need to change it?

Sorry, Mr Ballmer, but I don't buy that line of reasoning. IANAL but there's got to be a sneaky gotcha in there that makes it to Microsoft's advantage.

Bronze badge
WTF?

Where is the loophole?

Microsoft can analyze, convert, mince and slice the data I store to Skydrive all it wants, or even use it to decide what ADs to show me, but displaying it to other people without my explicit permission is where I draw the line. The question is, does this

may be used, modified, adapted, saved, reproduced, distributed, and displayed to the extent necessary to protect you and to provide, protect and improve Microsoft products and services.

prevent it? Using the "delete irrelevant words to make nefarious purpose clear" technique, the "displayed ... to ... improve Microsoft products and services" looks suspiciously like a loophole here.

Silver badge

The loophole is here:

may be used, modified, adapted, saved, reproduced, distributed, and displayed ... to provide ... Microsoft products and services.

And we have a landgrab!

This topic is closed for new posts.