Feeds

back to article 'We are screwed!' Fonts eat a bullet in Microsoft security patch

Windows users were surprised to find that a Microsoft security update stopped fonts from working on their PCs. Security update KB2753842 has killed certain fonts on PCs where it has been installed, rendering many of them unusable, and causing problems for designers and businesses who rely on using the types in their work. …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

I'm sold

If it gets rid of Arial and Times New Roman then this is the best patch ever!

Facepalm

Re: I'm sold

Hu?

...to leave what? ...comic sans? I'd gouge my eyes out with a pencil.

Stop

There are more than 3 fonts on Windows!

Calibri/Cambria is OK. Much better than the pre-2007 Word defaults of Arial and TNR.

Verdana is more readable though.

Comic Sans is not an option except for dicks.

Bronze badge
Happy

Re: If it gets rid of Arial and Times New Roman...

Calm down at the back! TNR maybe, but good ol' 'fake Helvetica' is allright in my book...

Re: If it gets rid of Arial and Times New Roman...

Arial is boring and was overused in the 90s. Get some imagination and pick something different :)

Personally I'd go for Ubuntu web-font for websites and Verdana for Windows but there's plenty of decent choices that don't make you look like a bank 20 years ago.

Bronze badge

Any font can be used in the wrong place. For what I want to do, not every font is suitable. You likely have a different list. Comic Sans is used too much, but that isn't enough to make it a bad font. Anyway, since I often am not using Windows, the Microsoft-specific fonts are not so useful.

That doesn't stop me looking at what Microsoft have done and thinking William Tare Fox.

This post has been deleted by its author

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: Get some imagination...

Hmm... Didn't actually say I use it. It just doesn't offend me as much as TNR, but downvote away! Must have been a TNR fan at the back there.

Re: Get some imagination...

Wasn't me downvoting you but I got 10 downvotes already for dissing Arial and TNR so they must have some fans on here :)

Test: ARIAL SUCKS !!!!!!!!

FAIL

I would agree on that, except that Arial supports Unicode the best of all.

For the other thing I never run into someone using Corel on a Mac. Corel is nothing that should be used by those doing DTP professionally (or what ever they call it what they do nowadays). Quark is a dinosaur that should have died already.

Nothing much right on that department, go back to the mac and have stuff working. Unfortunately Macromedia overtook Adobe, so Adobe's products sux too nowadays. They simply used to be high quality back in those days. Not so any more.

Corel on Windows it's just such a No No in this context. Corel never made it on the mac platform because they simply didn't cut it with the DTP people (who all used mac back then). Go back to professionals who work professionally that's what I say. And back to PostScript.

Silver badge

What is this Comic Sans you speak of. There is no such font. I refuse to believe it exists, much less use it.

Bronze badge
Unhappy

Re: I got 10 downvotes already...

...and counting. I think you're right! Not from me btw...

Silver badge

And here was me under the impression that there was nothing more boring than Income Tax instructions. Learn something every day (unfortunately).

Devil

I have completely replaced Arial with the on-purpose same metrics Liberation Sans, with much better glyphs to my eye. And for Unicode coverage, DejaVu Sans is great ( http://dejavu-fonts.org/wiki/Main_Page )

Anonymous Coward

for unicode coverage

code2000

Bronze badge

that isn't enough to make it a bad font

No. Being the last remaining vestige of -- drumroll, please -- Microsoft BOB is enough to make it a bad font. Comic Sans was so bad, so evil, that while it was _created_ for BOB, it wasn't used there. Kill it! Kill it! Kill lit with fire!

Anonymous Coward

Re: that isn't enough to make it a bad font

NOOOOOOOOOoooooooooo...... "BOB" never died. It was just resting for a while after an extremely long squawk.... but... now it's risen again!!!!!!!!!! They've just renamed it Metro. Kill it too! Kill it! Kill lit with fire! Kill it! Kill it! Kill it! Kill it! Kill lit with fire!

Linux

"Windows users were surprised to find that a Microsoft security update stopped fonts from working on their PCs."

I am surprised that their PC's even continued to work.

Download, Update, Reboot = PC Death.

LOL

Linux - I love you....

Anonymous Coward

Better than than installing a Linux kernel update and finding that you Linux server doesnt even boot as it screwed up updating your boot img. Hello Centos im looking at you....

The Real Story here...

...is that some people are still using CorelDraw and Quark.

Re: The Real Story here...

And then some - I have to keep a copy of CorelDraw on hand for laser cutting purposes.

The shame is, although it's a grossly outdated piece of software, it has a couple (practically literally) of nice features and still, after all these years, represents Illustrator's only real competition out there for vector design packages.

Adobe really could use a little more competition...

Quark, no, but Corel is still a fantastic product. Outside of AutoCAD I've not yet found a better vector-based, layer-based package.

Mine still works, no font snafus here.

Anonymous Coward

Try Xara Designer Pro X (www.xara.com). Fast, vector package for Windows and Linux. Seems to be getting bloated with Web effects lately though.

Stop

Cobblers. Corel Draw is a corking bit of kit and Corel Photopaint is extremely useful as well.

Thumb Up

Corel Draw was/is an excellent software package. I used it a lot in the Corel 2/3/4 days. I went right off it when they decided to milk the upgrade cycle and bring out a new version every year. The printing part of CD was suited to professional production - in fact, a lot of graphic shops used to use CD just for the print part of their workflow.

Phil.

This post has been deleted by its author

DJV

Try Inkscape - price = free!

http://inkscape.org/

Seemed to work for what I wanted (but my drawing needs are small so YMMV)

Corel merely cut it as a consumer product. The quality of what comes out from corel is just plain crap. I've been gone from the industry a few years. But I doubt corel has gotten any better. It makes a really poor job for DTPers and such alike.

And the font type used, man oh man, Amateurs.

Adobe could use some competition, but from someone that keep the same high quality as Adobe used to have in the 80-90s. Not by adding features that messed everything up, Corels at it's best.

Adobe got corrupted when they bought Macromedia in 2005. As a result less quality as with freehand. And not to mention Flash, which Adobe at first wanted to kill. But no Macromedia bosses got to run Adobe. Bean-counters, with no sense of quality.

Want to do proper work, skip all those software and types that where written in the article. A little bit of professionalism I would hope from those in the industry.

Facepalm

Yeah some amateurs did, not one professional.

Ever seen the hassle that is needed with CD files in pre-press situation? I sometimes converted our clients CD stuff by remaking them in Illustrator instead. That way we would waste much less time getting it actually printed.

Cause they never worked.

If you wanted to trust what you saw on the screen, there was only one tool and that is Illustrator. Freehand worked sometimes, but you could not trust that either fully. If you worked with an print house for your work and had a deadline, it was only Adobe that delivered. Everything else would give you unpleasant surprises.

Re: @ t.est - The Real Story here...

I currently use Inkscape for artwork, but there's a few font types I nicked from an old CorelDraw CD. Most fonts that came with CorelDraw were yucky "party-fonts" but it was one of the very few software packages I know of that came with Zapf Humanist a.k.a. Optima, a very classy typeface indeed and one of my personal favorites.

Bronze badge

@ t.est Re: The Real Story here...

"Adobe got corrupted when they bought Macromedia in 2005. As a result less quality as with freehand."

At the risk of further thread drift, I'm going to have to strongly disagree with you on the virtues of Illustrator v. Freehand.

If you didn't routinely use Freehand and expected it to be Illustrator then, yeah, your experience with it would suck.

OTOH if, as I did, you started using Freehand back in the day that it let you work in preview mode while Illustrator was still making you work in keyline and toggle back and forth into preview after every step to see what you just did, you asked yourself, "Why would I want to go back to doing it the old way?" You got used to the way Freehand worked and if you went back to Illustrator, many functions just seemed backwards and inefficient (In an Illustrator "punch" operation, the "hole" object sits BEHIND the "donut" object...? Really...? And if you want to manipulate it...?)

After (Gad!) 30-some-odd years of doing illustration and graphic design on a professional basis -- with more than 25 of them working digitally almost exclusively -- I'm preferentially still using Freehand, both at the day job (illustrator/graphic designer for a governmental agency) and in my freelance work. I'm expecting to be upgrading one or both machines in the next few months and with the forced move to the new version of OS X that this entails, I dread no longer having Freehand available to me.

YMOV.

JDX
Gold badge

Re: @ t.est The Real Story here...

What are we supposed to use instead of Quark these days... it was THE choice for newspapers when my dad retired from that world and since then I lost touch with what's used, though I note Quark is still selling new versions.

Raz

Re: @ t.est The Real Story here...

Right JDX. I was doing pro DTP in the mid '90s and Quark was THE software to use. A true WYSIWYG, application, and was exporting to PS. Plus everything could be done by hotkeys. The best editor ever. I was using it instead of Word, it was that good. I looked for a bit at Illustrator, but it looked like I would be less productive with it, so Quark XPress it was.

Bronze badge
Linux

Is that WindblowZE 'patch Tuesdays' can be a source of angst for many.

To quote from the article:

CorelDraw is screwed, Quark is screwed, WE ARE SCREWED. We have client jobs that we cannot work on thanks to this update.

Now, perhaps you can wonder why so many do not install patches - because they have work to do; and having a work PC fucked up by a bad patch, is bad for business!

Patch Tuesday is slowly becoming a faint memory for this penguin lover.

Re: @JDX

Lots of places use InDesign now. The publisher I used to work at migrated when Adobe started selling CS2, as it integrated well with the in-house Repro solution as well as the obvious CS advantages. Plus the fact that Quark alone cost as much as the entire CS bundle!

Thumb Down

> WindblowZE

This.

Stop it.

Anonymous Coward

Uhm, but a Linux distribution has like 10 time MORE patches - with LOTS MORE interdependency issues than Windows ever had - and no regular relaease schedule to plan around?! Pot, Kettle, etc....

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Meh

Good job on the puns, less so on the Obligatory Anti-Windows Bollockery front. Must try harder.

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: Another MS securityFAIL!

Another mindless kneejerk comment fail...

Bronze badge

though drawing attention to the puns was a bit unsubtle. I suppose they were trying to make a point and sometimes it's best to be bold if you want to draw attention.

Silver badge
FAIL

darn, and I thought I waited long enough before installing them

That any problems would have already surfaced...

Now I've got to send questions to developers to find out if they use any of these fonts... and if so, I'll have to pull them.

Thumb Up

For the love of god, please...

tell me comic sans was affected...

Silver badge
Joke

Re: For the love of god, please...

I love Comic SANS.

Bronze badge
Meh

Font Snobbery, as observed elsewhere, is like sooo 2005. A knowing wink when you see a colleague using it, or an ascerbic post on an IT forum... Yes, we all *know* you know your fonts, now sit down and have a little rest. It may be clichéd, but Comic Sans still has its uses. It's a jaunty font for the less-jaded to make quick fIyers for the village fête or whatever. I haven't used Comic myself for a few years, but only for style reasons and 'cos I have about 900 fonts to choose from.

Silver badge
Happy

Comic Sans is one of the very few fonts that "draws" it's letters in exactly the same way that we write them - who on Earth writes an "a" like that? Hence the popularity of Comic Sans with teachers.

Thumb Up

This is true - Comic Sans may be offensive to many IT folk but it is used for good reason in education. The downvoters might like to reflect on how domain knowledge can sometimes be as important as technical knowledge.

Anonymous Coward

Makes me wonder... what if the font was named something like "writestyle new sans" would people hate it so much? I recall an uproar from a few years ago regarding an execution order typeset to comic sans. Was it the hand-drawn look that upset people, or the name?

Silver badge

Comic Sans is one of the very few fonts that "draws" it's letters in exactly the same way that we write them

Not by a long shot. There are HUNDREDS of fonts that do that, most of them better than Comic Sans. There's a whole category of them, right up three with serif and sans serif fonts.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.