back to article Hackers warn: We'll hit US banks... again

Hackers who claimed responsibility for a series of denial of service attacks against US banks in September have warned the US they plan to renew their assault shortly. The Izz ad-Din al-Qassam Cyber Fighters named US Bancorp, JP Morgan Chase, Bank of America, PNC Financial Services Group and SunTrust as possible attack targets …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
  1. Destroy All Monsters Silver badge
    Devil

Why?

The banks are being DoSed by dollar stuffing anyway? Watch out for those fatty banker livers..... hmmm. Very nice with a side-dish of Weimar pickles.

We now have the announcement that Ben Bernanke’s Fed will buy $45 billion a month in treasuries, QE4, until unemployment reaches 6.5% or his version of inflation exceeds 2.5%. What a surprise! ....

Well, it does appear now that Bernanke was just easing his toe in by announcing the purchase of agency mortgages last September, and is really focused on treasuries. In all probability, he is afraid that the market for treasuries will falter. He can now support it anytime he wants without causing panic.

The next announcement may well remove the $45 billion monthly limit. Then he will be able to finance the government with as much fairy dust money as he likes.

There is always the chance that the foreign buyers will eventually be spooked and it will all come crashing down. But right now the foreign buyers do not have a lot of options and anyway Bernanke retires in a year.

It would be interesting ( and helpful) if Alan Greenspan suddenly had a Saul of Tarsus/ Paul experience and spoke out against his protege Bernanke. Or perhaps Paul Volcker, who admitted that the Fed might be violating the Fed statute in 2008 ( there was really no doubt about it) might speak up? Unfortunately none of this is likely. And we will continue on down the rabbit hole.

2. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Aye well, that's latter day capitalism for you:)

3. Bobthe2nd
    FAIL

Joomla is ok to start with....

Really these guys are using Joomla? Joomla is a slippery slope, its all to easy to need something thats not in the framework, so you install a plugin for this, a plugin for that and before you know it you have a dozen plugins all of which you cant be 100% sure are safer. I must have moved on to at least 4 different forums plugins as they became unmaintained. The last backup was pushing 1Gb so something was definitely screwed somewhere!

Keep an eye on the log files its interesting to see the number of attempted attacks against the admin login page.

I starting learning php as a background thing and after about 12mths had learnt enough php to write my own framework. Rebuilt my site from scratch in about 3 weeks, now I just update the database via phpadmin and the articles on the site run under read only rights. Site with files/gfxs came in at approx 40Mb.

So in conclusion Joomla/Wordpress are ok to kick something off, but long term you should learn to do it yourself so you understand how your site works!

4. M Gale

The more religionists of any flavour threaten and coerce...

The worse it is going to get.

Looking forward to the next Draw Mohammed Day.

5. Matt Bryant Silver badge
    Facepalm

Right on cue.

The twit that came up with the joke that claims to be a film did get one thing right when he predicted the ranting and raging that would ensue from the Muslim world. It just goes to show, even technically-literate Islamic skiddies put Mo and his fairytale before anything else. All these skiddies are doing are reacting in exactly the unreasoning, criminal way the film maker wanted.

6. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Way to promote Islam as the bestest religion ever. By hitting a completely unrelated series of targets. Not that banks don't deserve it on general principles; but if the video is the problem it should be video hosting services and the actual creators of the video would be the obvious people to go for.

I was starting to feel a little sympathy towards Muslims -not all of them are fruitbats- and then I discovered this:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/worldviews/wp/2012/12/10/the-seven-countries-where-the-state-can-execute-you-for-being-atheist/

1. Robert Helpmann??
      Childcatcher

Bestest Religion Ever

I was starting to feel a little sympathy towards Muslims -not all of them are fruitbats- and then I discovered this...

As opposed to a more sympathetic Western perspective?

http://www.soc.umn.edu/~hartmann/files/atheist%20as%20the%20other.pdf

1. Anonymous Coward
        Anonymous Coward

Re: Bestest Religion Ever

On the plus side, at least there's no state-sanctioned executions in the west. That was an interesting read; albeit worrying.

With religious Americans -amusingly enough- the main problem is that they seem to associate atheism with complete amorality. That it's perfectly possible to try and be a good person just because, seems to break the logic circuits of some religious Americans. There are perfectly logical reasons for trying to be good (feels good; don't want to go to prison etc.) but some people equate atheism with evil and there doesn't seem to be a counter-argument that works.

1. kororas

Probably because you represent a 'missed opportunity' on the part of some of these religious nuts. If you arn't with them, your against them, in their opinion.

1. Anonymous Coward
            Anonymous Coward

Still rarer is the man who thinks habitually, who applies reason, rather than habit pattern, to all his activity. Unless he masques himself, his is a dangerous life; he is regarded as queer, untrustworthy, subversive of public morals; he is a pink monkey among brown monkeys -- a fatal mistake. Unless the pink monkey can dye himself brown before he is caught.

The brown monkey's instinct to kill is correct; such men are dangerous to all monkey customs.

-R.A Heinlein

7. Anonymous Coward
    Anonymous Coward

Bad decision

More not-so-anonymous members to get a long stay at the Iron Bar Hotel.

1. Shades
      Stop

Re: Bad decision

You're still lurking here then Morris!

8. tony trolle

citibank is down,

citibank is down,

This topic is closed for new posts.

Other stories you might like