Feeds

back to article Telecom NZ slashes cost of unexpected journeys

Telecom New Zealand has announced flat-rate international roaming charges. The antipodean carrier announced today that its customers will pay just $NZ6 each day they use mobes while visiting The West Island Australia, and a tenner in UK, USA, Canada, China, Hong Kong, Macau, Taiwan, and Saudi Arabia. Data costs have been reduced …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

"West Island"?

Cheeky buggers. I'm glad we stopped letting you win the Bledisloe Cup.

Next up: SMS rates.

It's ridiculous having to pay 0.05$ (or more in other countries) for every 160 bytes of data.

(Yes I'm aware it's a little more due to header information and that you get less characters per message segment for multipart messages but you get the point.)

That's bloody fifty grand per megabyte. So... WTB Clue?

(Also from what I've gathered SMS's these days pretty much follow the same data path as 2G/3G, so what in the royal heck is up with the price? Sheesh.)

Re: Next up: SMS rates.

...and not to mention International/Roaming SMS's costing up to 0.50$ per 160 characters. Or more.

Bronze badge

it seems unlikely Telecom New Zealand was able to wield a big stick

Well no, but Kim Dotcom is threatening to lay his own cable and he is accustomed to a flat dirt-cheap rate for global communications (as they should all be).

I'll bet the telco's are worried about him invading their turf if he has his own global bulk comm's link.

Bronze badge

Re: it seems unlikely Telecom New Zealand was able to wield a big stick

"Kim Dotcom is threatening to lay his own cable"

That is a terrifying thing to imagine.

More seriously, and more off-topic, why is there still roaming when only travelling within the EU (or EFTA, or whatever the relevant area is)?

I'd be appreciative if Neelie Kroes could have an unfriendly chat with the bigger operators, discussing the Single Market at length and how it might not be a good thing that their coverage maps seem to correspond suspiciously well with national borders.

Anonymous Coward

Epic

Hats off to this telco, because it's an unusually daring step for what is otherwise an arch conservative business (I recall how hard it was getting Cable & Wireless sales to focus on data - only the young generation got it).

Happy

Re: "West Island"?

Stop complaining - many NZers consider there are three islands making up our country - North Island, South Island and Mouth Island.

Offsetting Vodafone's efforts

I'm pretty sure this is a response to Vodafone NZ releasing their Data Angel plan.

Pay NZD$15 when you land in Australia and get 100Mb of data. The same price gets you 40Mb in Europe, Asia and the USA. There are higher data amounts and usage lasts 30 days, which is pretty good.

Re: Offsetting Vodafone's efforts

It may also be due to the Kiwi regulator asking about how to regulate this field.

This topic is closed for new posts.