Feeds

back to article 'Build us a Death Star, President Obama' demand thousands

A petition asking the Whitehouse to construct a "Death Star", has gathered over 5000 signatures on the American government's ePetition site. The petition 'Secure resources and funding, and begin construction of a Death Star by 2016' was created by a John D of Longmont, Colorado, and has gathered 5,370 signatures in the 3 weeks …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Silver badge

It's a joke

They wouldn't go for it, would they?

Would they???

Silver badge
Devil

Re: It's a joke

It is a running gag: http://tshirtgroove.com/death-star-urban-regeneration-program-t-shirt/

Silver badge
Holmes

No it's not.

Pseudo-Economic cranks like Krugman, regular columnist at the New York Times have actually argued that preparing for a "Space Invasion by Aliens" would create jobs and bring the US out the recession.

Yep, no problem!

Silver badge
Meh

Bonkers

That's it, the US has finally shown the world they are a nation of hillbilly nutters, sadly also a nation that takes itself seriously.

'Lets nuke the moon guys, it'll be fun!' And that wasn't a joke either.

Bronze badge
Mushroom

Well half of them still don't acknowledge the facts around global warming,and they consider Scientology a religeon so not the greatest of surprises.....

Facepalm

Re: Bonkers

> That's it, the US has finally shown the world they are a nation of hillbilly nutters

Or maybe they've just shown us that they have a sense of humour and you don't?

Gold badge
Unhappy

"They wouldn't go for it, would they?"

They funded SLS.

What do you think?

Silver badge
Stop

Re: Bonkers @ LarsG

The U.S. gives the same rights to all nutters. It doesn't mean that everyone is the U.S. is madder than a box of frogs though.

Bronze badge
Pint

Scientology isn't a religion?

FAIL

What do you mean by "They consider Scientology a religion"? Surely, you don't believe that the majority of Americans recognize it as an actual religion. The opposite is true.

By the way, nice job worming global warming into this conversation. You truly are a talented troll.

> Pseudo-Economic cranks like Krugman

So, the Nobel prize committee for economics are fools, then. (<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Paul_Krugman#Nobel_Memorial_Prize_in_Economic_Sciences>)

I never knew that before, I'm so glad there are people here with such a deep understanding..

This post has been deleted by its author

Silver badge

Re: Bonkers

Or maybe they've just shown us that they have a sense of humour and you don't?

That's more likely, but then this is the nation where a government agency had to issue a statement saying that mermaids don't actually exist we're talking about.

Seriously though, we DO have a sense of humour here in America. Unfortunately we've also got people who take everything literally. This probably IS a serious petition that grew out of someone's joke about building a Death Star.

Silver badge
WTF?

What? You mean that they believe it's still happening? In spite of all the official temperature figures showing that it's stopped?

Well, they obviously don't believe in science....

WTF?

Hey, don't diss Krugman, he's an island of common sense in a sea of madness.

"They wouldn't go for it, would they?"

They already have a Death Star. It's disguised to look like the moon.

Silver badge
Facepalm

> Hey, don't diss Krugman, he's an island of common sense in a sea of madness.

HöhöHöhöHöhö .... inflation too low for you?

Bronze badge
Mushroom

? Its not like there is any doubt abut global warming anymore. In case you have have your head in the sand for a decade or 2 then there is now over whelming observable evidence that a) Global warming is happening, and b) the primary cause is greenhouse gas emissions caused by mankind.

The only thing left to argue about is how bad it will be...

The US government recognises Scientology as a religeon is what i refer to - and gives them the relevant tax exemptions.

Anonymous Coward

No Scientogy is a Cult. See http://www.xenu.net/

Bronze badge
Mushroom

That's a myth or a result of looking at a short term view from a specific starting point.

Official temperature figures viewed across the long term trend all show that global warming continues...

They could very possibly be...

...the committee that hands out the peace prize seem to have lost the plot on occasion in recent times.

This post has been deleted by its author

im Hill writes:

Jim Hill wrote:

> So, the Nobel prize committee for economics are fools, then.

Yes.

Just because the Nobel committee picks some random leftist writer with delusions of grandeur doesn't make that writer a genius. Just like giving Obama the Nobel for peace didn't make him stop wars (or start them in the case of Lybia).

You look like you need a religion with saints, icons and an infallible pope or two, yet you don't sound like Catholic material. May I interest you in scientology?

Bronze badge

Re: It's a joke... spend like there is NO tomorrow, then,

The hostiles arrive and from 2.2 AU, blast the deathstar and render Earth a wasteland. Then, there literally would be no tomorrow, hehehehe. But, it could be a "party like it's 1999", lol...

The only Prince will be an astonmical prince and the prints of darkness from deep space... :-)

FAIL

The epetition site is a gathering point for crazies. The funny thing is that people would even think that we need to spend trillions to fight Darth Vader when there are millions of people starving to death in this world is beyond anything that I can think. If violence makes a better world, the earth would be a paradise by now. Sad

FAIL

Let's not attack strawmen, RICHTO, m-kay? If you read what I wrote (instead of drunk-skimming,) you'll see that the only observation I made about global warming was this: How the fuck could you possibly start a conversation about it in a thread regarding Death Stars?

Last I checked, the IRS != the American people. Unless you honestly believe that ~315 million are in support of Scientology, then maybe you (along with most rational thinkers) can arrive at the correct conclusion that the IRS screwed up. Maybe they're fearful of what would happen if they revoked their tax exempt status.

Now, please take your contrived arguments elsewhere.

"It's disguised to look like the moon."

That's no moon... It's a prison colony!

(Yeah, yeah, I am aware most of you won't get this)

"...the Nobel prize committee for economics are fools..."

Giving Obama a Nobel prize for peace, essentially because he wasn't George Bush really made the whole concept of Nobel prizes a bit of a joke. It would be even funnier if the big knobs of the EU were made to collect their recently awarded Nobel prize for peace in Athens.

WTF?

$852,000,000,000,000,000

That's how much it would cost..... oh, and it'd take 0.8 million years to complete.

http://www.centives.net/S/2012/how-much-would-it-cost-to-build-the-death-star/

Bronze badge

Re: $852,000,000,000,000,000

A job for life then...

Devil

"Perhaps I can find new ways to motivate them. "

Bronze badge
Mushroom

That will be the Exchange rate to £1 before the deathstar is built the way their budget deficit is heading....

Bronze badge
Mushroom

0.8 million years... that's a relief. Someone else can worry about the USA taking "friendly fire" to a whole new level.

Couldn't they just make the moon look like a Death Star?

That way all you would need is a load of old toilet rolls, yoghurt pots and some double sided sticky tape.

It could even count as recycling...

Bronze badge
Headmaster

That's only 1.6% GDP if spread over that time period.

Anonymous Coward

Foxconn could build it for one tenth the price.

Bronze badge

That's not a moon...

.... It's a state funded infrastructure investment program

Silver badge

Re: That's not a moon...

First they'll need a huge sign that says "Your tax dollars at work".

TRT
Silver badge
Alert

Re: That's not a moon...

OK, so the superstructure may be built and manufactured by the US, but I know for a fact that the fleet of defensive fighters to be stationed on board will be sourced from Thailand.

Silver badge

Re: That's not a moon... @GitMeMyShootIrons

The state funded infrastructures (science, art and manufacturing) are what made it affordable for you to purchase the device you are using to whing on the state funded INTERNET.

Silver badge
Thumb Down

> The state funded infrastructures (science, art and manufacturing)

Ah no, sir.

Go back to "You didn't build that" state paternalism, please.

Silver badge
FAIL

Ha. Ha. Ha. Hahahahaha. You're really just trying to get that gold badge aren't you? There's no reason you'd post so much obviously contrary/trolling garbage otherwise.

If you want to look into that fact you can log in to El Reg go to 'Formus' at the top right of the page (just left of the search box) and click 'My Posts'

Who do you think pays for the Internet? See the post above that says that even though the U.S. pays all the trolling you do we still give you the right to do so. Suck that in your state paternalism & send me 40 quid for being a good sport and not calling you an first year college douche.

Silver badge

State funded internet? What is the complete bollocks you're talking? In the days of ARPANET you'd have a point. These days the vast majority of the Internet's infrastructure is owned by private entities from all over the planet.

Bronze badge

Blimey. There's a few people who forgot their meds today, aren't there? I take it that sense of humour is sadly lacking.

Silver badge

Morons wasting time.

Kinda like most ElReg commentards.

Releasing the trillions spent fending off the dusty goat-herders who have absolutely zero chance of invading North America, and putting that money into rebuilding our schools, hospitals, water & power systems, highways, and the people who live here in general, would be a far better option. IMO, of course.

Anonymous Coward

Re: Morons wasting time.

Lighten up bro! Or we'll rename you captain buzzkill.

Silver badge

@AC 07:50 (was: Re: Morons wasting time.)

Hard as it might be to believe, ACbuzzed, there really are non-buzzed adults posting here.

Silver badge

> would be a far better option.

Would have been a far better option.

Silver badge

@DAM (was: Re: Morons wasting time.)

Still is a far better option. IMO, of course.

Bronze badge
FAIL

How do you have a silver badge? Give me it.

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.