back to article Red Hat pushes out RHEL 6.4 beta

A day ahead of a set of announcements around optimizing IT operations that is scheduled for Wednesday, commercial Linux distributor Red Hat is rolling out the beta for its Enterprise Linux 6.X distro for servers and workstations. The RHEL 6.4 beta previews what is coming in the next point release of the current branch of …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Stop

Correction; Linux O_DIRECT is not Windows Direct I/O

<quote>

and the Parallel NFS (pNFS) client is still in tech preview; the latter includes support for Microsoft's Direct I/O, which allows for data to be read from disk to application buffers without stopping at file buffers

</quote>

I've spoken to the Linux developer of the NFS client that's part of the standard distributions, including RHEL6. The support is for Linux O_DIRECT in the pNFS code line, and has nothing to do with Microsoft's Direct I/O. That is a specific Windows OS feature for Windows device drivers.

Alex McDonald, CTO Office, NetApp.

Interesting features

That support for VMDK-based Storage eases the migration from VMWare ESX to KVM, but interestingly RHEL 6.4 introduces the haproxy package as a Technology Preview.

Is RedHat about to take on F5 BigIP?

Silver badge

Re: Interesting features

Peek underneath an F5 and you'll see a scarlet head-covering.

My view is that F5 is a triumph of marketing. I'm a bit surprised Cisco hasn't taken a larger swipe at the market.

For my money, I'd like to see the enterprise linux providers do more things like F5 does. I suspect an easy PXE-ISCSI install/boot mechanism would be far more useful than the latest kernel upgrade - why not option to install a boot/install server? Likewise, how about a bluecoat-like gui for Squid with some easy "I want to authenticate to AD" options. How about some decent roll-forward, roll-back upgrade mechanisms - use multiple LVM volumes for upgrades of the OS (i.e. install new, then copy and process the config from another volume set). Make it easy and foolproof to sync up a mirror to another drive, remove the drive and test an upgrade offline.

All these things linux does, but we need to make them more accessible. I'm surprised Suse hasn't jumped on this with Yast.

Devil

Good work

I'll be waiting for CentOS, since I'm a cheap bastard. I like to try before buying anything anyway, but for personal use why not wait for CentOS?

Support for 512 tape drives?

Who ordered that?

Sounds like a redhat customer is doing something huge with tape.

tpm
(Written by Reg staff)

Re: Support for 512 tape drives?

Sounds like the NSA or Amazon Glacier

Gold badge

"The para-virtualized drivers for RHEL for running atop VMware's ESXi hypervisor have also been added to the Anaconda installer so you don't go nuts looking for them if you happen to choose ESXi over KVM for your server virtualization layer."

FINALLY.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums