Feeds

back to article AWS to ISVs: Let us vaporise your Windows apps

Hot on the heels of its announcement that cloudy Widows Server instances are now available in its EC2 service, Amazon Web Services has started to court developers whose applications run on Microsoft’s servers. The cloudy company’s pitch is that if an ISV’s app is in the AWS marketplace, ISVs can get into the software-as-a- …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Re: Microsoft enterprise price increases steepened.

It's an interesting reversal - for a long time, they had a tight grip on the *bottom* of the market (which at the time meant PCs) while they fought against the entrenched higher end (NetWare, various Unixes, mainframes etc) - using the revenue from all those Windows and Office sales to push their server products in.

They've got a pretty solid hold on the enterprise end right now, I think, but squeezing hard in a bad economic climate seems short-sighted, particularly when they have new competition from the likes of Google Apps and other hosted services... interesting times ahead!

Anonymous Coward

Well, this article, of the same date, points to sales increasing.

http://www.zdnet.com/how-are-windows-8-sales-still-too-early-to-tell-7000008228/

As others have pointed out, a lot of people might not be buying new stuff because they don't have to. Not necessarily a reflection of the new product, is it? Presumably increasing costs of - well, everything - might also cause a company to increase it's own prices. I myself am inclined to agree it's a bit soon to say it's a failure.

The flaw in your analysis is only quoting from a page (rather, author) that actually reports in the same manner you post. To quote - ' “Wait for the hard numbers”, otherwise known as the mating call of the Lesser Skulking Microsoft Shill, Redmondus petardsmoochii was heard far and wide this week." ' Doesn't score highly in the objective analysis ratings, does it? Damages your credibility and that of your analysis.

Anonymous Coward

"ZDNet are closely allied with Microsoft and depend on them for ad revenue, so I wouldn't take a ZDNet article very seriously."

Not taking a biased web page seriously was my point - sorry you missed it. You picked one and quoted it as gospel - I picked one which contradicts it.

"That Surface has failed in the market is irrefutable."

At this point that's ridiculous wishful thinking. "Looks likely to fail" might give some semblance of reason.

"Official figures from Microsoft are always manipulated, with channel stuffing, Win 7 installs counted as win 8 installs and other obfuscation and massaging of the figures going on."

Well, you can't reason with someone who just says anything they don't like is made up, so I won't try any more. I won't even bother with any insults after this post because ...

"But as I say, all "Clouds" should be distrusted, as you really do not want too much sensitive data outside your control."

As with your usual comments about the benefits of open source, we know. We don't need you to tell us. And in fairness I have to admit it's unnecessary for me to point out you're a blinkered, self-delusional fanatic. It's the one argument you really make well.

Anonymous Coward

As opposed to that well known anti-microsoft troll Eadon.

General Warning: Anyone who disagrees with Eadon is accused of being paid by Microsoft. The best way to deal with a troll is to ignore their comments and not respond.

Cloudy Widow Service?

The mind boggles!

Widows server, eh?

Would that be the one with the Orphans client?

This topic is closed for new posts.