back to article Office 2013 now on sale for business customers

Office 2013, the latest version of Microsoft's desktop productivity suite, is now available for purchase by business customers, even though individual users won't be able to order it until next year. The final versions of the Office application suite have been available to members of Microsoft's MSDN and TechNet subscription …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.
Anonymous Coward

Can't believe people are still using Office these days.

Anonymous Coward

Possibly because of existing processes/procedures that are tied to:

Access

Excel

OneNote

Outlook

PowerPoint

Publisher

Sharepoint

Word

Silver badge
Trollface

@AC Troll

And just what would you suggest is truly on par with office ? Please be carefull and avoid making a fool of yourself by answering the usual "Libre Office", Open Office solutions, they are really not on par.....

Ask yourself why the German Foregien Office made a u-turn ? In the end it would have cost them more money, not less to deploy the "free" solution. Go figure...

This post has been deleted by a moderator

Bronze badge
FAIL

Re: @AC Troll

LibreOffice on a bar with Office 2000 LOL

I think you'll find that we're on 2013, which is 5 releases later. The later versions are a lot more easier to edit documents, contain more useful features, etc.

Looks like you're the troll.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Re: @AC Eadon

No one forces office users to use office. I gave my users tbe possibility to use both. Out of thirty users only one of said he prefered Libre Office and he is the one that wants Linux to be brought into the office. Evetyone else just keeps using Ms Office.

Personally I also prefer it. It is stable Outlook is an excellent tool that has no true alternative. The interfaces and usabilty are extremely mature. They use a common enterprise format. Installations are simple. It costs us about 30 euros per position. Most problems can be resolved with Google. It doesnt feel like using technology from the 2nd world war. The macros and vba ensure endless possibilities. Etc etc etc etc.

As much as it peeves the Linux crowd Ms Office is an excellent product.

The Germans are returning to Ms Office or did you miss that point. They have saved money on their servers but not on their office suite.

IT Angle

Another "fresh bottle of bubbly"

Oh MS, big, fat, bloaty-corporate super tanker, pal: isn’t it time you made something new and exciting? Why this constant rehash? Why must we pretend the old 2003, 2007 and 2010 are so old now, we must have the latest? A lot of my pals are sticking to 2003 and most are using hooky licences: that’s the reality. You can't keep opening a fresh bottle of bubbly to try and keep everyone from leaving your party.

Bronze badge
Thumb Down

Re: Another "fresh bottle of bubbly"

Who cares?

Stick with 2003 - no one is forcing you to move.

However, that doesn't mean companies must simply stand still. 2013 is available and if people want it, they'll get it.

No one really cares about you and your mates sticking to 2003. Congratulations *slowclap*

Silver badge

Enterprise licences give access to new versions of office without adding any cost. The latest versions sometimes add bug fixes or improvements and those are more than welcome in any company.

No one is forced to update but then again if you are still running Dos or Windows 3,1 or Linux from the command line then it is easy to understand your position.

Silver badge

MS Office is a very cheap product for companies.

How much are you paying annualy for Print Cartridges, Paper, Office Supplies, Desktops Computers , Laptops, Employee sick days, Telephone calls, Mobiles etc etc etc etc . This is where real saving can be made

If I have to pay 30 Euros per year for an employee in order to provide with the industry standard in Documents and Spreadsheets then I wouldn't even blink at the idea.

As for the Germans , lets see who is talking FUD

Here is my source, where is your 11 Billion Euros Fud coming from

http://www.h-online.com/open/news/item/No-more-desktop-Linux-systems-in-the-German-Foreign-Office-1191122.html

FAIL

@Eadon - Re: Another "fresh bottle of bubbly"

Microsoft ditched the proprietary binary formats with Office 2007. Since then, the default file formats have been based on Office Open XML. Also, since Office 2007 SP2, the ODF file formats are supported in MS Office, as well as the PDF format you mention.

Stop

@Test Man - Not until 2014 if your using office on an in-scope device for PCI - then you will have to move.

Silver badge

> a slave to a single vendor

The single vendor satisfies our needs and also those of a very large percentage of the market....

> to whom you keep giving

You will always have to pay a provider anytime that you expect a service. For example : Redhat Linux is commercial product with commercial support, Linux Admins have to be payed for. The OS and or Libre office are only a minor part of the costs.

>A smarter manager

A smarter manager does not take the risk of upsetting a company wide rollout just to "potentially" save a few pence.

>Munich has saved 11 million euros

The 11 million is theoretique, the real world scenarios are seldom so efficient, ask most project managers how easy the costs spiral. call me up in five years when a report is written up to explain that it didn't actually save anything.

They will be reusing existing servers - Now that really doesn't sound very smart at all. Neither Linux nor Windows appreciate hardware failures.

And to top it off at the end of your article it is mentioned that the City of Freiburg are "returning to MS Office" due to incompatibility - kinda goes against your theory then

>People are moving away from proprietary solutions towards open source, that is the trend

Really, care to share the facts and not just the anecdotes.

If there were truly a better solution then I personally would use it but as it stands there is none.

Open Source on a server, definately couldn't agree more.

Open Source on a corporate workstation couldn't agree less ( At least not for the moment - I couldn't even count the number of distros/office Suites I have tried).

Don't ever confuse Open Source with being Free - it's not, there is always a price to pay.

Facepalm

Microsoft gets 'em young

Within days of arriving at high school my daughter was given homework that required MS Publisher & MS Access files to be opened- IIRC neither was easy using competitor products.

Been using it for about 3 weeks now and I must be unusual in that I like the uncluttered UI - have seen people complaining about it on the web. As I'm not using anything in the cloud it doesn't seem much different to 2010

Happy

Word 2.0 was good enough ...

... except for floating images.

I helped my partner write a book in Word 2.0 on a 386 with 16MB RAM - including many scanned full page images of maps and microscopy. Back then you had to insert a frame before you could place an image in it, and it was wise to link to images rather than embed them in the document so it wouldn't fall over. I've not seen much change in a practical sense since then in Word; other than improvements to image positioning, etc - although I don't use anything more advanced that table of contents, styles, mail merge.

Access 2007 and above however are soooo much nicer than Access 2003 and below. Still, I guess the only way to keep selling Office is to keep selling computers without Office on them. Office 2003 was the last one that didn't care how many machines it was installed on.

This topic is closed for new posts.

Forums