Feeds

back to article Register readers mostly too ashamed to cop to hideous hoard horrors

We're very, very disappointed that Reg readers did not answer our call for the hoardiest human to come forward and present photographic evidence of their obsession with hanging onto every last bit of crap. Despite many horror stories - including tales of small children buried under defunct computer kit landslides, and fire …

COMMENTS

This topic is closed for new posts.

Page:

Meh

So...strictly speaking "pop" hasn't actually admitted he has a problem. His - probably now disowned - offspring has tried to shame him into action.

I think she's going a bit overboard. Afterall, you can still see there's daylight between his stash and the garage roof...

Thumb Up

She could of course just talk to her dad about the issue, hire a skip and get stuck in. That's what I did when I wanted to use one of my dad's spare rooms which was being used to hoard total crap. Result for me is a usable room kept reasonably tidy for free.

Silver badge
Unhappy

Times like this make me feel a twinge of sadness for the various heaps of often working techno-trash I've disposed of, because I am planning to move at some point.

Parallel port scanners, ancient motherboards, piles of computer magazines, and countless cards and cables that will never find a use again.

Bronze badge

Trade Waste

Unfortunately, if I were to try and offload all the IT related crap that's filling my cellar, they would probably refuse it on the basis that I must be trade - 7 CTR monitors, at least 20 rotting carcases of PCs from IBM PC-AT onwards, innumerable keyboards and mice, and the shells of two 2U HP servers, not to mention the hard drives, CD-ROM drives (2x speed, anyone?), modems, motherboards and graphic cards.

Silver badge

Re: Trade Waste@Alister

One or two big items a week in the bottom of the wheely bin, brim fill with regular household rubbish, and you'll be free of the burden by next Easter.

MrT
Bronze badge

I had...

... a habit of building all my PCs in full tower floor-standing cases. They just don't fit the wheelie bins.

One has a 1x CD ROM drive that required the discs to be loaded into a caddy - had installed that one just before Computer Shopper started CD cover mounts. It doesn't even use a normal interface - ran directly from the sound card. That and the Logitech handheld scanner (own interface), the huge flatbed scanner that replaced it (own interface) and all the crazy gear that plugged into the 15-pin game port is just waiting for someone to sort out a USB-to-??? converter...

Not chucking any of it away though, because it might happen that I can use them again... in the face of cheaper, more reliable modern alternatives that are fully supported in Win7 - there's no challenge in just going shopping.

K
Bronze badge
Pint

Well somebody has too..

How else will be fill museums in the next 15-20 years!

And charge the mugs for looking at looking at our rubbish..

Anonymous Coward

Nicola - your picture is more than good enough for...

...an eBay listing. See what offers you get.

Thumb Up

ah well

so:

a few Km of ehtenet cable, thats the 50 ohm coax stuff, and quite a few BNC connectors / T pieces.

A pile of ISA and such boards.

A stack of old memory, some in DIL packages....

Leads of all types. in a pile so big that I don't know what there is, so just get another one from the stores.

if I want a twisted pair ethernet I can only find USB. If I want usb, I can only find Firewire, and don't get me started on the pile oif 'usefull' D connectors in various forms and configuration, null modem, loop back, loop back with control, cross over, etc etc. all carefully labeled up, with sticky labels that are now falling off into the boxs.

then we old mother boards, PSU's of various vintages,

cases that only accept BTX boards,

but why would I want any of it

a raspery pi is more powerfull than any machine I could make out of this lot,

but I can' t chuck it, they might be useful, one day,

so on third house move they go again from one attic to the next, box's un oppened.

I think I need a coffee now, and may be a trip down the local computer flee market at lunch time to see what else there is I NEED.

Silver badge
Coat

Re: ah well

Flee market? Is it called that because they run away whenever they see you coming?

Thumb Up

Hmmm, BNC connectors, I was glad to see thin ethernet go but RJ45's just don't compare to a bayonet fitting.

Anonymous Coward

> but I can' t chuck it, they might be useful, one day.

...and there you have it.

I am a (reasonably) rational person person but "I can't chuck it, it might be useful" means that my house is full of crap. Crap that really should be recycled so it might *actually* be useful.

What possible reason do I have for keeping that bag of Playstation 2 accessories? The PS2 itself is *long* gone. Do I really need that set of speakers from a long defunct stereo system? Or that box full of random sticks of EDO memory? What about those nasty plastic 5 1/4" blanking plates from a previous house-mate's tower?

Still, it could be worse, my father is now up to four sheds and a garage to store his "useful" crap....

TRT
Silver badge

The problem is that they might be proprietary devices, but the industry standard and generic connecting leads could possibly be reused or otherwise come in handy someday.

I'm such a hoarder...

But there is light on the horizon...

THANK YOU APPLE, THANK YOU!

Silver badge

"What possible reason do I have for keeping that bag of Playstation 2 accessories? The PS2 itself is *long* gone."

Funny thing is, I just got myself a second-hand PS2 for €10 earlier in the year, and have amassed a small collection of games - various GTA3s, some Sims, some racing car types, cute-chick-with-katana-and-lots-of-enemies. I'm not really a hardcore gamer so it sucks to find a game that doesn't have a pile of useful cheats (Lara Croft, I'm looking at you) because I like to explore, beat up the bad guys, and not worry too much about them fighting back. I have a Resident Evil (the one where she starts in a basement) and sans-cheat I made it about as far as the gloomy daylight before I got wasted. Pleasingly gory, but "YOU DIED" after three minutes sucks.

What also sucks is the stupid memory cards don't appear to be able to be reformatted in the PS2. A game came with a 16MiB card that would have been welcome, had it worked... Oh, and what's the point of a LAN socket if nothing seems able to use it?

In short - one person's junk may be another person's "oh, I needed that!".

Bronze badge

The clever bit of (PC) software you might be interested in is XLink Kai. It allows you to play LAN enabled games (such as Gran Turismo for instance) over the internet. The software itself runs on a PC, connected to a router via ethernet, and with some wizardry redirects the PS2s LAN traffic (connected to the same router as the PC) via the internet! Very clever indeed.

It also works with XBox 360, XBox, Playstation 3, Playstation 2, Gamecube and PSP!

Is it still a problem if I trade?

As long as the missues sees me take it down to the post office (and is out when postie comes round), I'd swap Gaius' lovely Cub monitor for approx 200m of 10Base2 cable (you never know when you, ahem, might need it)!

Bronze badge

Re: Is it still a problem if I trade?

Maybe there's scope for an IT swap-shop on the Reg forum.

MrT
Bronze badge
Thumb Up

Swap Shop....

... only if it's fronted by Lester in a bad jumper and stick-on beard, Posh Paws replaced by Optimus Prime, and the wall of swaps staffed by Playmobil figures.

What about a swap meet? Or are there international conventions preventing a gathering of that many commentards in one place...?

Anonymous Coward

I hoard files

and while I embark on an extermination mission every couple of (months), I usually give up after 10 - 20 deletes. And while I haven't counted all my files, they might easily be in excess of a couple of millions, combined. A billion perhaps? I'd be a bit surprised, but not staggered.

Anonymous Coward

Re: I hoard files

well, if you are deleting, clearly you don't. I've still got files I wrote for the Dragon 32 which I transferred to MSDOS 5.25 floppies to run under GW basic that need slight tweaking for the new screen size, and different joystick inputs....a rainy day job of low priority, but when I retire....

Anonymous Coward

Me too ... backl in the days of 56k (or even 28k) modems when downloading a new version of netscape etc was a matter a many minutes then I used to have a "download" directory into which all downloads went and I never rarely deleted anything in it (only in extremis when disk got full and I hadn't got round to getting a bigger one!) so that if I'd uninstalled something that I decided I needed again then I could probably find the download file rather than having to re-download it .... and now some of those files dating back to the later 90s are almost certainly still sitting on my NAS!

Meanwhile, here at work had a quick look and have some files dating back to 1989!

Childcatcher

root@dcore64:/storage# find . -print | wc -l

ahem.

Bronze badge
WTF?

You're running as root!

The Horror!

Silver badge

MANLY!

Bronze badge

Too lazy, more like it

I should really get around to taking a picture of the 15 or so late 1980's early 1990's macs (along with all of the assorted junk that goes with it), but I keep forgetting when I get home.

There's no problem with my continual collection of it. I can quit anytime I want...

Anonymous Coward

what interface

links a 386 to a canoe?

and do you need the maths co-processor?

Gold badge
Joke

Re: what interface

You need an old soundblaster card.

Then you can plug the paddle[1] into the joystick interface port.....

[1] If you don't get it, you're not old enough.

Silver badge

Re: what interface

how many do you want?

Silver badge

You know you have a problem...

...when your garage is messier than mine after a Category 5 cyclone/flood combination.

TRT
Silver badge

Re: You know you have a problem...

Pile it all in the canoe, just in case of flood.

Silver badge
Happy

Pile it all in the canoe, just in case of flood.

I see where you're coming from but I'm not sure that would work for me. The two largest items in my main garage are two 20' ISO shipping containers so I'd need one hell of a canoe. The other garage isn't quite so excessive.

would any of my category 5 ethernet help to fix it?

Silver badge

Nicola's Dad ...

... exists in the same 'plane of reality' that my Dad did. His garden shed was so full of 'useful stuff' that it was dangerous to go in there and he had to get a second shed to keep his gardening tools in. I wish I'd taken a picture when I had the chance.

Silver badge

Re: Nicola's Dad ...

Arthur 'Two-Sheds' Jackson?

I've got almost three sheds - two are fine but the oldest is now an art installation entitled 'entropy'

Anonymous Coward

"if you don't resist the almost overwhelming urge to accumulate junk."

Only the feeble minded get overwhelming urges to accumulate junk.

Clean house/clean mind.

@Obviously!

If a clean house is a sign of a clean mine, what is an empty house a sign of?

TRT
Silver badge

what is an empty house a sign of?

Burglars.

Or an impending divorce. Mine even took the garden shed whilst I was at work.

Joke

Re: what is an empty house a sign of?

"Or an impending divorce. Mine even took the garden shed whilst I was at work."

That was the first hint you got?

TRT
Silver badge

Re: what is an empty house a sign of?

No. The shed was in the back garden. First clue was when I went to put my key in at the front door and noticed the door knocker was missing.

Re: @Obviously!

re "If a clean house is a sign of a clean mine, what is an empty house a sign of?"

I can think of :-

1) repossession

2) moving out

3) psychiatric wife

(the thought of MY psychiatric wife has just stopped me in my tracks of thinking of anything more on this subject)

TRT
Silver badge
Paris Hilton

(the thought of MY psychiatric wife has just stopped me in my tracks of thinking of anything more on this subject)

You'll get over her. I did. ;-)

I was sad that one and half pairs of high quality knockers disappeared that day, but I like to think of it as an acrimonious separation, after all, she left the hinges.

Gold badge
Headmaster

If a clean house is a sign of a clean mine, what is an empty house a sign of?

Miners with OCD?

Gaius Hammond, who noted: "Unfortunately my camera lens isn't wide enough to include the other half."

What does Gaius's missus have to do with this?

Silver badge

Well, if she's anything like my missus...

she's why the car moves gradually backwards until the garage door won't shut...

"Can I throw this away?"

"No."

"Ok."

<tempus fugit>

"Where's the thingie?"

"In the back of the garage..."

Anonymous Coward

re: Gaius's missus

Downvoted because I managed to avoid posting that.

Bronze badge
Pint

I don't have an overwhelming urge to accumulate junk...

It accumulates quite effortlessly.

Anyone need a drawer-full of mice, trackballs and other pointing devices? Almost all nearly working?

What I don't understand is where all the power strips go. I've bought enough to circle the globe, but can never find one when I need it.

Silver badge

Re: I don't have an overwhelming urge to accumulate junk... power strips

They are in my shed - somewhere

Thumb Up

Re: I don't have an overwhelming urge to accumulate junk...

Maybe in the same place where that other sock ends up?

Silver badge

One of these days ...

... I'll out myself, and submit an article to ElReg about my 28x60 foot machineroom/museum/mausoleum/morgue. Old kit that still works, and does exactly what it was designed to do, is still actually useful! For a couple examples, see:

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/370244

--and---

http://forums.theregister.co.uk/forum/containing/373033

Those boxen are still doing their jobs, four years later. And they were ancient then. Constantly upgrading is throwing money away, no matter how you look at it ...

Silver badge

Gaius's room looks quite well organized

The storeroom in our lab looks works than that, and we'll not talk about the sysadmin's office...

Page:

This topic is closed for new posts.